INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Zwo vs QHY

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Zwo vs QHY

I did do this several years ago when I still had an ASI120MC (USB2). You need to install the kernel source package of Ubuntu, make the change to one of the C files (basically disable an error when the package size is invalid) and recompile. Then the camera worked for me. There were instructions somewhere (sorry, it's been a long time since I did this) and I am not sure if those instructions still work since the kernel source has evolved a lot since.
2 years 10 months ago #71675

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Zwo vs QHY

Just found this old thread from 2018 where I added a link to the kernel instructions but the link seems to be broken now:

indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/2131-asi-12...ailes-to-expose.html
2 years 10 months ago #71676

• Thank you received: 28

Replied by Petar Milevski on topic Zwo vs QHY

Hi all, my experience has been this. A few years ago i purchased a QHY163C. Initially everything was fine with using it with indi, but then QHY did a driver update and i was never able to get the thing to work. Even the cooling oscillated.

I rebuilt my computer(s) RPi4, tinkerboard, even my laptop, nothing helped.

After talking to QHY, their first response was does it work with Windows 10. I dont use windows so was never able to test it. It basically got to the point where i had to sell the camera because i just could not acquire or download photos.

I eventually bought a ZWO ASI 071 and have never had an issue with it using the same computer(s).

ZWO are on top of their game when it comes to drivers, but i suppose they have an interest in making sure things work under linux because they sell the ASI-AIR. QHY on the other hand, do not really seem to care about those who use anything linux.

Just my experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat, Paul Muller
2 years 10 months ago #71695

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Zwo vs QHY

Thanks everyone for your inputs I decided to get the ZWO 183MM. Was going for the QHY model, but I will need that little hub at the back of ZWO camera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
2 years 10 months ago #71720

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by Mohamed on topic Zwo vs QHY

Just advise before you commit to ASI183MM is to check your pixel resolution per arcsec astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability. The SONY 183MM/MC sensor has a very fine 2.4micron pixel size which I found it put my portable Z61 in a VERY sweet sport (and I LOVE IT) but causes oversampling with the C9.25 even with focal reducer (on which I use the larger pixel size ASI533 3.76micron and optimal seeing conditions)
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Mohamed.
2 years 10 months ago #71725

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Zwo vs QHY

Hello Mohamed,
I have a Redcat 51 which is 250mm and this is a very good match for the 183 chipset
2 years 10 months ago #71726

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by Mohamed on topic Zwo vs QHY

In that case, I hope you enjoy it as I enjoy my little gems (Z61). Please share some of your 1st lights...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
2 years 9 months ago #71756

• Thank you received: 38

Replied by Sonny Cavazos on topic Zwo vs QHY

I own both ASI and QHY cameras.  

I do know that both ASI and QHY have the same sensors typically.  ASI tends to be more compatible with USB3.0, as with QHY it really needs specific hardware configurations to work properly.  QHY does seem to require a powered USB3.0 Hub as looking at the logs, I can see times where the QHY rejects connection due to power requirements.

I find that QHY offers more modes (typically 4 modes for the high end sensors).  I like that because I may use it on a brighter target, I can use the photographic mode, or sometimes I need high gain with a lower readout noise mode.  I can pick and choose which mode best suits my targets.
I know it is available on the QHY600m/c  QHY 268m/c QHY 367c.  

I also like that most QHY cameras come with dew heaters built into the housing.  I know ASI now typically offers this, but at the time, they did not.  on most cooled cameras QHY has a heater as standard equipment.  Very needed in my deep south Texas environment.

That's my take.

-Sonny

ASI does not offer this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
2 years 9 months ago #71790

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds