INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

I do not understand 3D Cube

• Thank you received: 30
There is a setting in KStars Configuration for FITS processing called 3D Cube that I don't understand.

What does it do?

With a DSLR I don't see any difference shooting FITS or Native whether it is marked or not
With 3D Cube selected or not, the files have the same size (23.3 FITS, 8.5 NEF) and show in the same way with Image Viewer (natural color image for Native and monochrome image (green) for FITS).

The ToolTip for 3D Cube says: 'Process 3D (RGB) FITS images. If unchecked only first channel if processed'
But I do not understand what that means. Which is the 'process' it refers ? 

More, the tooltip for 'Limited Resources Mode' says: '3D Cube: RGB images will not be processed. Only gray scale images are shown'

Does this suggest that 3D Cube is related to how the images are displayed and not to the file itself?
But I do not see differences between the images...

2 years 10 months ago #71516

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Color FITS images are stored in two different formats:
1. Bayer
2. RGB

The 3D cube refers to RGB. If image is RGB, and 3D Cube is checked, it will be processed as an RGB image and displayed in color. If unchecked, only the R channel is ready and display is Mono. This is for display purposes only.
2 years 10 months ago #71531

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by Joaquin on topic I do not understand 3D Cube

Two questions based on Jasem answer, just trying to definitively understand:

- How do I choose between storing color FITS in Bayer or RGB formats ?
In INDI I can select between NATIVE or FITS transfer formats and between NEF(RAW) and JPEG capture formats...

-How can I distinguish between Bayer and RGB FITS files?
I suppose both have the .fits file extension (p.e., is one bigger than the other, contents more information, is more convenient... ?
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Joaquin.
2 years 10 months ago #71543

1. For DSLRs, it's always bayer.
2. From the header and also you will not see the bayer menu in the FITS Viewer. Also, RGB FITS is usually 3x the size of bayer FITS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joaquin
2 years 10 months ago #71546

Time to create page: 0.665 seconds