INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meade LPI-G (and Advanced) driver

• Thank you received: 29
Hi,
I'm in the process of writing a driver for the Meade LPI-G and LPI-G Advanced cameras. I have the monochrome version of both of them but I'm looking for someone who has a color version of either. If you have one of these cameras, could you post the detailed output of "lsusb -vv" for the device?

Thanks,
Ben
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 10 months ago #72386

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29
In case it's not obvious, the LPI-G , LPI-G Advanced, and DSI IV cameras are all rebadged Touptek cameras. There are several Touptek cameras that are already supported by INDI including Orion, Mallincam, Altair, and Touptek branded cameras. Unfortunately, all of these use a close source library (which Touptek provides the reseller) that supports each particular resellers cameras. It would likely just be a matter of adding a few lines of code to associate a USB VID:PID with a particular touptek "model", but we don't have the luxury to do that. So, I set off on reverse engineering the Meade cameras using Meade Skycapture and sniffing USB traffic. I've gotten pretty far but then realized that even though Meade doesn't provide something that they call an SDK, they do provide SkyCapture for Linux and MacOS. Those software packages contain a library to talk to the cameras and it seemed very likely to be the touptek library that was tailored for the Meade-badged cameras...and it turns out that's correct.

So, I'm happy to report that I have a working INDI driver and have been able to capture some dark frames from my LPI-GM and LPI-GM Advanced camera. I don't have a DSI IV but I expect that will work as well. The downside is that Meade only provides SkyCapture builds for x86, x64, and MacOS. I've contacted that about an SDK in hopes that we could get arm support, but I'm not super optimistic given my past interactions with them.

I still may continue to reverse engineer the API so that we could have an open source touptek driver that could be made to work for any touptek-based camera, but I think I'll submit a pull-request in the next few days to get the current solution integrated.

Thanks,
Ben
2 years 9 months ago #72624

• Thank you received: 0
I know this is an old thread, but I can't get my LPI-G Advanced Mono working properly with the latest astroberry. INDI control panel finds the camera and recognizes it as "Toupcam Meade LPI-GM Advanced is online." but the Image Info tab lists max width as 1520 and max height as 1024, should be 3072x2048. Any way to get this working properly?

Thanks,
Roscoe
1 year 10 months ago #83340

• Thank you received: 0
OK, here's an update... I needed a second device to control a second mount, and since it's impossible to buy an rpi4 these days, I installed Debian Bullseye on an Intel NUC. Debian doesn't meet the dependency requirements to install kstars/ekos/indi from the ppa, so I used NOU's excellent scripts to build it myself (worked fist time, ;) ). Just on a whim, I hooked up the LPI-G Advanced to the NUC, and the Meade Toupcam drivers properly recognized the camera and had the correct resolution...

So, works with self-built, but not with Astroberry 2.04 fully updated. Do I need to start over on the rpi4 and build my own with the pi, or is there something I should try to get it working with Astroberry?

Thanks,
Roscoe
1 year 10 months ago #83400

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds