INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Re:Re:Re:Failed ###.###-second manual exposure, no adequate control is registered.

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I am new to INDI and to this forum. I am using Linux (Q4OS, derived from Debian 10) for about one year.
I owe a DMK 31AU03.AS camera and I want to use it on my Linux system.

I have installed CCDciel 0.9.75 and the latest version of INDI 1.9.1 which I compiled from sources.
I launch $ indiserver indi_v4l2_ccd from the command line, then I start CCDciel, which I configure to use with my camera.
I get the video stream without problem and I can change the frame rate successfully (1/30, 1/15, 2/15, 4/15).
I can also choose an exposure duration among a list (0.001, 0.005, 0.01, 0.05, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60, 120, 240, 300, 600, 1200s).
But when I click on the button to start the exposure I get this error message:
"Failed ###.###-second manual exposure, no adequate control is registered."

In the past, I was able to take exposures with my DMK camera, using IC Capture (the manufacturer software) on a Windows computer.

I have reported the problem on the CCDciel list. P. Chevalley who is the author has directed me to this forum.

Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Laurent
2 years 8 months ago #73328

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
There should be another message before this one, could you double-check the logs? Eventually increase the verbosity level. I am slightly surprised by the "###.###" not being actual numbers, but there were many changes recently.

Normally, this camera should create an uvcvideo device that you may use with other applications in your Linux environment. Guvcview is one of them, you may want to test your installation to remove indi from the equation.

Also check the return of "v4l2-ctl -l -d /dev/video0", or "uvcdynctrl -d /dev/video0 -c" which should list the controls available for V4L2 to use in the INDI driver.

-Eric
2 years 8 months ago #73341

Hi Eric,

I have written a long reply yesterday, but I don't see it in the thread...
In short :
- "###.###" was for any duration I tried, from 0.000 s to 1200 s, which I was allowed to choose in a drop-down list.
- My laptop has an internal webcam and /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 are already present before I connect my DMK camera.
- After connecting it, /dev/video2 and /dev/video3 are added.
- $ v4l2-ctl -l -d /dev/video2
                    brightness 0x00980900 (int)    : min=0 max=63 step=1 default=0 value=0
                         gamma 0x00980910 (int)    : min=1 max=500 step=1 default=100 value=100
                          gain 0x00980913 (int)    : min=260 max=1023 step=1 default=260 value=260
- $ uvcdynctrl -d /dev/video2 -c
  Listing available controls for device /dev/video2:
  Brightness
  Gamma
  Gain

Not any mention of long exposure possibility. However the DMK has, it worked with IC Capture (manufacturer software) on a Windows laptop.

Laurent

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Laurent.
2 years 8 months ago #73350

• Thank you received: 72
How old is the cam?
I own a very old cam of the same type and years ago I had to update the firmware to fully comply with the v4l2 driver. Unfortunately I don't have access anymore to the conversation documents with 'Imaging Source'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Toni Schriber.
2 years 8 months ago #73356

I have bought it in December 2007. I returned it to Imaging Source because the exposures were limited to 30 s. They arranged the camera (firmware?) and since the I was able to take longer exposures, always using IC Capture running on Windows.
2 years 8 months ago #73359

OK! I will get the cam in the observatory and check the firmware and available controls. I'll report back.
2 years 8 months ago #73360

I was a little bit wrong: It's a DMK41AU02! But the difference is only the size of the sensor. I think the internals are the same.
Output of "v4l2-ctl -l -d /dev/video0"
                brightness 0x00980900 (int)    : min=0 max=63 step=1 default=0 value=0
                gamma 0x00980910 (int)    : min=1 max=500 step=1 default=100 value=100
                gain 0x00980913 (int)    : min=260 max=1023 step=1 default=260 value=260
                exposure_auto 0x009a0901 (menu)   : min=0 max=3 default=3 value=3
                exposure_absolute 0x009a0902 (int)    : min=1 max=36000000 step=1 default=333 value=333 flags=inactive

You are missing the last two options. I'm pretty sure, it's a matter of the firmware, as I stated before. Alas "Imaging Source" is very restrictive in this context, because the update can damage the cam (see solarchatforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2735). So you have to ask for it explicitly!

You can get more info about the cam with "lsusb -v -d <vendor>:<product>" (e.g. "lsusb -v -d 199e:8101" for my DMK41AU02). The firmware I got from "Imaging Source" still does not comply 100% with v4l2, but at least I can operate now the exposure time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
2 years 8 months ago #73367

I remember exchanges about this situation on the Imaging Source forum. That is certainly the right way to solve this problem, thanks for posting the info.

-Eric
2 years 8 months ago #73376

Many thanks for your posts. I'm going to contact TheImagingSource to explain the problem, with the hope that a single firmware upgrade will solve the problem. Of course I'll keep you posted.
2 years 8 months ago #73387

2 years 8 months ago #73483

I received a response from S. Geissler at TheImagingSource.
He instructed me to build tiscamera from sources, and then to
    $ sudo cp build/data/udev/80-theimagingsource-cameras.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
    $ sudo service udev restart
Unluckily, this didn't enable me to take exposures.
Mr Geissler warned me that this woudn't help if my camera was already recognized by the system, and it did, but as a DFx 21BU04 instead of a DMK 31AU03.AS, and, indeed, the suggested procedure didn't change anything.
So, I think this is the end of the story. I'll continue to take videos of the Sun and Moon and, maybe, revive a Windows laptop to take exposures.
Regarding the firmware upgrade, the 41 and the 31 cameras differ by more than just the CCD size: the 41 is "more v4l2-compliant" than the 31.
Thanks a lot to both of you for having tried to help me.
2 years 8 months ago #73484

Perhaps we could help a bit further. Your camera firmware was not updated then? You built the tiscamera source package? What was the result, do you have any logs from "dmesg" or "v4l2-ctl"? And what's in the rules files?

-Eric
2 years 8 months ago #73494

Time to create page: 0.796 seconds