INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to analyze Kstars crashes?

• Thank you received: 2
Now and then Kstars crashes more or less without any indication of why.
Is there a way of analyzing, is there a coredump to analyze or some other way?

++Håkan W++
2 years 7 months ago #74594

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
That would be also interesting for me... I had in my last two sessions a sudden crash. All windows were closed... After restart of kstars everything was fine again...
Before the crash I did focusing, plate solving and took testpictures. Then I slewed to my objekt I want to photograph, start the session and BANG all closed...
2 years 7 months ago #74603

• Thank you received: 559
Håkan, Juergen,

Of course it would be terrific if you could help debug these crashes and improve our reliability.
Personally, I run kstars under gdb (e.g. gdb /usr/bin/kstars, then run) and get a backtrace (using the bt command in gdb) if the system crashes.
Then it's a question of looking there and at the output of debug logs (I always run with logs set to Verbose, File and all Ekos modules checked)
and getting a little more familiar with the source code. The logs on linux are saved in ~/.local/share/kstars/logs.

Jasem has put together an ekosdebugger to automate this, see indilib.org/forum/ekos/7245-new-tool-ekos-debugger.html

Hy
2 years 7 months ago #74623

• Thank you received: 19
So it would be possible to run kstars with the ekos debugger and work as usual with it (is there any reduced e.g. speed, since I run stellarnmate on the Rasp 4B ;-) ?)? If I understood it right, then I click on save and upload the debugger file... If this is correct, I will run Kstars with the debugger.

The problem is, that the crash occurs occasionally and I didnt found a way to reproduce. but it happens roughly every 3rd or 4rth session especially when I'm preparing the session (focussing, plate solving, slewing to target and so on).

Once the session runs (taking pictures) I had no crash till now. I remeber only one time: there I run the focuser and after restarting the session it crashes...
2 years 7 months ago #74624

• Thank you received: 2
Ok, I will start with gdb and take it from there.

Thanks for that tip!
2 years 7 months ago #74626

• Thank you received: 559
Juergen,
I find no slowdown when I run under gdb, so I imagine the same is true for ekosdebugger (which probably just runs gdb behind the scenes).
Hy
2 years 7 months ago #74627

Right, so Ekos Debugger is supposed to make this easy for those who don't know how to use gdb. Simply start KStars, and if it crashes, just click the save button. It will generate a zip file with the necessary logs that you can upload ans share with the developers.
2 years 7 months ago #74628

Time to create page: 0.906 seconds