INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Build INDI/KStars on a M1 Mac using a free virtual Machine

• Thank you received: 3
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share some information. In the last weeks I struggled with compiling kstars from source on my M1 Mac. For me this is a little bit more complicated, because I'm developing apps for iOS and during the summer months I always use the latest betas for Xcode and macOS, so even if any script will work it is not guaranteed it will work on my machine and all libraries are there. Furthermore it feels more natural for me to build such projects on linux to avoid introducing new problems. 

To make things short: I don't want to buy a new parallels license again, because I don't want to use Windows anymore for private purposes and the price is too expensive (would need to pay the full price again). I discovered UTM for Mac, where you can run any ARM64 Windows or Linux. However, it did not work due to some memory and network issues - the virtual machine was always loosing the connection to the network after some short time. Unfortunately, I also did not have any other machine to install linux and as you might know, there is still no bootcamp on M1 Macs yet. 

For those who are in the same situation wanting to have everything on a separate linux machine: 

UTM releases

Use the latest beta (2.2.1). It's nearly stable, seems to have no memory leaks and you can now configure to share your network, so the connection will be always available. I installed ubuntu arm64 on it, qt and all libraries (a lot of library names did change, there is a need to check these scripts), however I finally got all libraries required for kstars and now finally the kstars build finished successfully, yeah!!! 

I thought it would be a good idea to share this with you, maybe others have also switched from Intel Macs to the new Apple Silicon Macs or want to switch in the near future. UTM seems to be worth a trial, because it's really fast and also easy to setup a VM. 

Hope this helps somebody to save time. 

Jürgen

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wolfgang Reissenberger
2 years 7 months ago #74970

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds