INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 71
Happy new year to all and bets health

@avarakin.
I am just testing the latest changes on version 1.4 (github.com/azwing/indi/tree/master) and will be ready in one/two days to issue a pull request.
The code is working and running with latest Onstep Alpha firmware.
5 years 2 months ago #33278

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4
Alain

First also you happy new year. I have now the OnStep running via PI B and its running well after some trouble. I stopped investigating the wifi part.
To day i discovered an possible issue related to OnStep indi setup from my point of view. See also: groups.io/g/onstep/topic/startup_after_p...ky,,,20,2,0,28906666

OnStep is work perfect. After parking i do power off all equipment. Today i power up everything unpark, i discoverd that the time of the OnStep was that from yesterday. i have selected in de Indi setup update time and location Kstars from mount. The reason for this is that i used GPS of my phone to get the GPS location and update KSTars with it. When i select KStars update mount it works. Is it a idea to always push the time to the mount when starting the driver or the option to select that?

By the way what will be the new updates in the Onstep Alpha firmware?

greetings

Chris
5 years 2 months ago #33368

Hi Chris, Gelukkig Nieuwjaar en vooral een goede gezondheid

If I understand weel your Onstep is connected to the Raspberry Pi, but which interface? Serial, Bluetooth, WiFi?

OnStep Cold Start:
I do not understant your concern about starting after a power off.
For me OnStep restarts assuming the mount is pointing to North Pole.
When I connectet to KStars, Indi automatically updates location, date and time.
In the case where moujt was parked before power off, then OnStep restarts showing as pointing to north pole but when unpark, the scope shjow pointing at parking position.

New Alpha Firmware:
I can't answer this, latest was two days ago but is up to OnStep group.

Concerning Onstep Driver, I am in progress of testing the 1.4 version and officiel release is planed withing some days
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Alain Zwingelstein.
5 years 2 months ago #33369

Alain

Dutch? ;-) Thanks

its about this:
"In the case where mount was parked before power off, then OnStep restarts showing as pointing to north pole but when unpark, the scope show pointing at parking position"

Correct while the date and time of the OnStep is from the time of powering off. Starting the OnStep and having indi-configuration time and location update set to, Mount is updating KStars, Kstar shows the sky it was during powering down ;-)

The reason for me to selecting this was to have the mount GPS settings synced to KStars, which is more precisie. But then i need something which force setting the time correction on the OnStep is that possible?

By the way hen selecting Kstars update mount with Time and location there is no issue ;-)

Chris
Ps. What are the functions of Cold Start and Init Home under the site tab (this one is red in my case)
5 years 2 months ago #33371

• Thank you received: 22

There is a setting in Kstars/indi preferences that lets you choose which way updates go and we usually set it to update the mount time and position stored in the pc. You might check that setting if it's not updating the mount time.

Park position is stored in the xml file at ~/.indi/indi_OnStep_config.xml when you save the form and loaded at connect when the system is set to update the mount. Saving with park at the default (north) home position should fix that to a reasonable figure and is recommended for most portable mount users.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray
5 years 2 months ago #33381

@ Chris

"In the case where mount was parked before power off, then OnStep restarts showing as pointing to north pole but when unpark, the scope show pointing at parking position"
Yes this is the expected behaviour, not under control of the driver but default Indi. May be this could be changed.

Correct while the date and time of the OnStep is from the time of powering off. Starting the OnStep and having indi-configuration time and location update set to, Mount is updating KStars, Kstar shows the sky it was during powering down ;-)
Seetings => Configure Kstars => Indi => Kstar Updates All Devices | Mount Updates KStars | GPS Updates KStars
I have no GPS so I cannot test

Chris
Ps. What are the functions of Cold Start and Init Home under the site tab (this one is red in my case)
The two buttons serve restectively to slew to home or to reset to Home. Status changes from Red to idle when one button pushed. You're right, behaviour could be changed, I have to note it

@ Blueshawk

I just issued a pull request for the version 1.4. There is a ci Test failing but not from my side I guess. So I am stuck as long the issue is not solved, maybe tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Alberts
5 years 2 months ago #33390

• Thank you received: 27
Hi Alain,

Happy New Year to you too!
It is great news that you will be sending a pull request.
I did some very basic testing on a bench of latest code in your branch and it works with stable OnStep controller.

Alex
5 years 2 months ago #33397

I am happy to annouce version 1.4 has passed the pull request this morning.
Don't expect a lot of new features, rather I tried to fix some errors and provide a better integration with Ekos.
Many thanks to those that helped to test, debug and propose changes.

Majors things that changed:
Alignment:
everything is now on a dedicated tab, up to 9 stars align, works with Ekos plate solving
Focuser
The First focuser is now recognized by Ekos and autofocus is working
Telescope Status
switch between Tracking, Parked, Slewing ... is now synchron with Ekos

ToDo:
For sure many cosmetic fixes like buttons / status lights
Library Tab is not working and could be removed in my opinion
Input / Outputs for custom functions like heaters ...

Now it is time for testing and bug collecting :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells
5 years 2 months ago #33407

• Thank you received: 22
Woot! (brandishes bug net) :D
I agree about the library. Since we're usually tied to planetarium software(kstars, ccdiel) it does seem unneeded.
It will be a while before I can test outside again. I have a long list of chores delayed by all the rain and snow we've had. Also waiting for parts as usual. I'll certainly put it on my schedule though. I may try to have it running as a secondary project in time for the lunar eclipse in a few weeks, which will be sure to uncover any bugs ten minutes before the good bit.
5 years 2 months ago #33412

@Blueshawk,

no hurry, Rome didn't built in one day :-)
Lucky you, you have snow, we have just fog. Even no real rain so that it is not good for astronomy, nor fo agronomy :-)
5 years 2 months ago #33416

• Thank you received: 31
Thanks Alain for this work (and all previous and future work too, there will be lots ...)

Yes, the Library stuff should go away. No need for the clutter.
5 years 2 months ago #33428

Alain

Thanks for your answers

Chris
5 years 2 months ago #33436

Time to create page: 0.938 seconds