INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 31
Here is the code for KStars Ekos Capture , for the HA meridian flip:

See the function Capture::checkMeridianFlip() line 2981.

All it does, after checking that it is beyond the HA limit, is this:
currentTelescope->getEqCoords(&initialRA, &dec);
currentTelescope->Slew(initialRA,dec);

So there is no command to specifically flip, rather, it does a slew and relies on the mount to do the right thing and go east of pier, depending on its own settings (sync'ed to Ekos HA).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Alberts, james_lan
5 years 3 months ago #33906

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 39
Just as a note, on my to fix list is the meridian flip settings, which while there exist buttons, don't work. I've got it working. I submitted a pull request to azwing's repository.

One setting which should probably be added if people want is the preferred pier side (East/West/Best) I'll probably not do that tonight, though.

Looking in OnStep, I don't think there's a way to trigger a manual one. The closest would be changing settings on when to flip, which I think is defined at compile time, unless I'm missing something. The :MN# is closest, but still follows those limits. Actually, quickly looking at it, I think it just sets preferred pier side, then does a goto. (While the function is a flip, it has an option to only try to go W>E (So as things cross the meridian) which is the only way it seems to be called in the code based on grepping of alpha.

I was missing something, minutesPastMeridianE/minutesPastMeridianW are settable as well, and are stored in nvram (not sure that's always been the case.) :SXE9 and EA / :GXE9/EA for E/W.

So on my todo list:
(things not rememebered until they bite me)
Add in Preferred Pier Side
Add in Meridian Limits (I don't think INDI has any way to communicate this to/from Ekos, but I'll double check.)
5 years 3 months ago #33918

• Thank you received: 71
@James,

Silent but busy and efficient as usual :-)
Just merged and will do some tests.

@ Khalid,

thank you for the link to the code and all the explanations. Make the things more clear on how all works together.

Most probably I will pull request James changes to master soon.
5 years 3 months ago #33931

• Thank you received: 4
Khalid

Oke :MN# if this does wat you say oke, but how can i start that, i think Ekos must trigger the OnStep driver which initiate the :MN# so this is something we must request to Alain, do you also think or does it work different

Anyway the other suggestion is good i will give it a try. what are your limit setting of OnStep and EKos Capture?

Chris
5 years 3 months ago #33947

• Thank you received: 31

It is not possible. Ekos does not issue a command to the mount specifically for going east of pier. All it does is issue a slew command to the same RA/DEC as it is on now, and relies on the mount's meridian limits and that it will do the right thing and perform an automatic meridian flip.

I don't use an HA setting. But you can choose whatever will not throw your mount out of balance (dangerous!)

Start with a safe value, e.g. 2 minutes past the meridian, and set the HA accordingly, per Jasem's reply in the other thread.
5 years 3 months ago #33948

I just pushed the changes to azwing that I commented on.

So now under the Motion Control tab (Is there a better spot? It's easy to change):
We should have working: (Hasn't been tested under the stars though)
Meridian Auto Flip: OFF/ON (Selected will be active)
Pause Home: OFF/ON/Continue (Will be one of the first two, if paused, you hit continue, and it will go back to ON)
Frequency +/-/Reset (unchanged, +/- 0.02 Hz Saved to nvram, should probably add the 0.02Hz)
PreferredPierSide: West, East, Best (Set to East to trigger flips as soon as you can.)
Minutes Past Meridian: East/West and values. Those are limited 0-180.

So to get the effects of :MN# simply have it set as East Preferred Pier, and make sure that the setting on flip corresponds to where Ekos thinks the flip should be. Might be able to include a parameter, but that might require reimplementing a few things.
5 years 3 months ago #33968

I have tested, with unconnected board/ CCD Sim, and if it's set as East (pier side) --- I think it might be good to add the same (looking west/East) now that I start writing it out.

Anyway if it's set to East, then Ekos will trigger it based on the HA limit in the camera(capture?) module , but one limitation seems to be that it has to complete at least one picture before it will cause a flip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alain Zwingelstein
5 years 3 months ago #33974

@James,

I was scarred I cannot merge since I was working on the same thing and some other things, but it worked.
It works so far I can see (as you did, only naked board and CCD simulator)

I think the location is ok under the motion tab.

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Alain Zwingelstein.
5 years 3 months ago #33983
Attachments:

Version 1.6 with James Lan fixes for Meridin flip has just been merged into master.

Many thanks to James, Khalid and Chris who triggered this improvement
5 years 2 months ago #34082

Thanks all, I will give it a try,

:-( how... to get this master update ??? can i copy the driver file to my rasp ;-)

Chris
5 years 2 months ago #34084

Chris,

There is always a delay between the git version and the release as package.

If you are running Ubuntu then you must use the nightly builds to have it ASAP
If running Raspbian it may take more time to be released.

I cannot say how much exactly.
If you want to test the git version immediately there is no other way than compiling
5 years 2 months ago #34087

Alain

Thanks i use Ubuntu Mate on my Raspberry, i will use the to Night Build, Again thanks for you efforts

Chris
5 years 2 months ago #34089

Time to create page: 1.142 seconds