INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 31
@Blueshawk

If you mean the plate solve align, then the best way is to download (or checkout) the latest version of OnStep, then apply my plate solve align patch to it, as per the instructions here .

The procedure to test it is the same as before: Go to the INDI panel click on the 3 star align, then go to Mount Model and select 3 stars to align on, then let it run its alignment. At the end of the process you should get more accurate Goto pointing, and the :A?# command should show 633 as the result.
5 years 7 months ago #28964

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 71
@ Blueshawk

I am glad for you that you can observe and test imaging.
For the moment I just can use my manual DIY Newton 11''F6 but not motorized.
If you mean pictures of the observatory, yeas I will take one tomorow and post it, but don't be affraid ... it is still civil work to do :-(

Nice picture you made here.
I am estonished of the quality with this camera. I am trying to aford one next year and had a look on this model.
Your picture reinforce my impression to go for this one.
For the moment I just have a old Canon Rebel T3 not unfiltered.

Good luck for your tests
5 years 7 months ago #28996

• Thank you received: 71

Here the picture of the work in progress (slow progress)
Most probably the first project since I am retired and will be the worst project in terms of delay I ever did.
I planed starting april ending august, bur this was without thinking I am not 20 anymore ....
5 years 7 months ago #28999
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 22
@Azwing Thanks for the words of support!
That looks terrific!
Masonry after 50 requires child support.

Test was delayed by weather and allergies again.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Ray Wells.
5 years 6 months ago #29008

@Khalid
I pulled latest alpha and the patch would not apply because the code in command has changed. Do you want to redo that to keep up or should I go with the version I already had previously, which does compare with the patch? It's from the more stable Beta, which was updated from alpha about a month ago. I think we may be chasing an evolving situation unless we stay away from the main (alpha) branch at OnStep.

Also note: Current OnStep alpha branch would not compile.
5 years 6 months ago #29010

Beta is not a good choice for testing alignment, since Howard added lots of very useful changes in Alpha regarding alignment.

The patch still applies fine on the current Alpha.
$ patch -p1 < /tmp/onstep-plate-solve-align_2018-08-08.txt 
patching file Command.ino
Hunk #3 succeeded at 1991 (offset 2 lines).

Ignore the hunk thing.

Attached is a Command.ino file that is today's Alpha with the patch applied. Rename it from .txt to .ino only, and you are good to go.
5 years 6 months ago #29011
Attachments:

----

Not until I solve this, as the code I have is apparently different.
---
I think I found it. Git clone gets beta even if you change to Alpha branch the url is the same on the website. Thats a nice trap to fall into. to save time, I'll proceed withe the zip file instead.
---
That was it. It took the patch that time. Now I know I have the rest of the correct code(alpha). I noticed they moved the pin configuration file, in case anyone missed it.
5 years 6 months ago #29021

This should work:
git checkout Alpha

Then copy your Config.xxx.h, and my Command.ino, and you are now with the latest Alpha with the plate solving patch applied.
git diff Command.ino
will give you the changes, in case you want to review them.
5 years 6 months ago #29022

Okay thanks.The freshly downloaded zip is working but I'll do git checkout alpha next time. I knew there was some way, but had forgotten about that command.
I also had to move my pins.classic.h into the new src/pins folder since mine is a one off mega layout that predates the pcb's they have now and is built on a breadboard shield.

Next problem... EnableStepperDrivers(); not declared in this scope. Seems like Azwing mentioned something... That's where I am atm. Scope is set up and I saw bright Vega overhead.

That got it. I had autostart tracking on, which is disused and broken. I've had trouble in the past getting tracking to start with anything other than the phone app. Hopefully this will be fixed now. Going out to sit on a wet chair with the bugs.
5 years 6 months ago #29024

Set current alpha command.ino to verify operation of current system in mount.

Enabled full verbose logging in ekos.

Tracking now starts okay using indi
slewed to deneb.
Manual plate solve worked and synced. Slew to solved position was reasonably accurate. Normal operation.

bug 1. If unit unparked but tracking not started. Incorrect error given on slew to target command:
2018-08-29T01:32:54: [ERROR] Object below the minimum elevation limit.
2018-08-29T01:32:54: [ERROR] Error Slewing to JNow RA 20:42:05 - DEC 45:20:53
2018-08-29T01:31:45: [INFO] Mount is unparked.

bug 2. PEC still claims recording, still pops back on if off button pressed. I realize it's not doing anything but it's misleading.

Iinstalled alignment patched command.ino and downloaded to mega.

coords not set in firmware after update:
indi would not set them, longitude error. used phone app to set site coords.

Slewed to deneb and checked focus.
Manual plate solve captured and solved but resulted in a loss of ra/dec position. showing all zeros. then captured but could not solved based on previous 00:00:00 coords
patch breaks manual plate solve.

A manual sync after solving by hand also failed to update, and appears to have crashed the mount.

no logs found after. nice... I wonder where they went? Logging was enabled but I have nothing to show for it? wtf!?
I'll have to redo the whole thing another night as it's time for bed for a 6am start.

****Meanwhile a check of the sync call in OnStep command is needed. I think it never returned from a routine, causing blocking in the mount.

@KNRO -- Unrelated: Kstars is eating memory whenever temporary captures are made ASI drivers/focus module. leaving it looping adds up quickly. Conky reports high memory usage from Kstars. This eventually causes slowdowns and I have to kill it all and restart. I can already hear you telling me to upgrade my 16.04lts system. --my notebook doesn't do it with xubuntu 18.04lts
5 years 6 months ago #29026

That is odd. Latitude and longitude should be set in EEPROM, and recalled from there if they are not sent from KStars. When I am using KStars, I always choose 'KStars updates mount' and that way, longitude, latitude, UTC offset, date and time are all sent at the beginning of sessions. But regardless, if you don't do that, OnStep should remember the last latitude and longitude you used.

That is odd. Are you using the current master of KStars, or azwing's fork?
There was a problem in the last stable version where INDI would not get back returned data because of the buffer size change (RB_MAX_LEN thing). The fix is in the current master (not the PPA builds yet).

Perhaps that is related?
5 years 6 months ago #29043

--I had the same thought this morning.I'm using Azwings fork, but maybe there's an error there.
-- I think a bit is set to load "first run" defaults when you download to the arduino, or it was at one time anyway..or it was in my servo software, can't remember.
--! I had a thought on this. It might due to a negative longitude stored in OnStep defaults. If so, maybe the indi driver reads that and gives an error instead of updating somehow? Anyway, the phone app fixed it in eeprom so I'm able to move on and we can tackle that possible bug later.

I need to get those logs working first, then I'll look into the indiserver, and by then it will be dark and we'll try again!
Fingers crossed everybody!

ps. If anybody sees a different version of this post it's returned from the ether on its own...I lost it a while ago..poof!
5 years 6 months ago #29051

Time to create page: 0.420 seconds