INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 71
Hi Khalid,

we were edditing at the same time :-)
5 years 6 months ago #29215

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 6 months ago #29216

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Folks,
i added the udev rules already

1. lsusb:
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 16c0:0483 Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Teensyduino Serial

2. ls -l /dev/ttyU* /dev/ttyA*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 166, 1 Sep 2 18:58 /dev/ttyACM1

3. picocom -eq -b9600 /dev/ttyACM1
:GU# nNpHzE0#
:GR# 03:06:34#
:GD# +90*00:00#

So it seems to work. I think the trick was in restarting the onstep, and not only in rebooting the system.
Many thanks!
:)
And now I can connect the indi_lx200_OnStep driver as well.
Regards,
Gerrit
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Gerrit.
5 years 6 months ago #29218

@ clearskyhopper,

glad to hear it works.

Woulkd be nice if you give feedback of your experiences in field.

Clear Skyes
5 years 6 months ago #29225

• Thank you received: 31

Howard merged the plate solving align code into OnStep Alpha (as of a few minutes ago).

So anyone who wants to use the Mount Model tool, can do so, with the stable version of INDI packages (no need for a special fork or branch).

The procedure is the same: click 3 Star (or a number suitable to your controller and obstructions), go to Mount Model and select stars that are far apart, and then click Run. That is all there is to it.
5 years 6 months ago #29288

@Khalid,

thanks for the effort on the Firmware side.
This brings a new milestone where to base on for the next revision of Indi Driver.
On my side I succeeded to make progress on the observatory so that I have goog hope to finish all before winter.
In the meantime I should receive STM32 and rest of the hardware so I could be in position to test Teensy/STM32 and Arduino.

Did you succeed to have your OnStep mount ready for testing?

Regards
5 years 6 months ago #29293

• Thank you received: 31
[quote="azwing" post=29293
In the meantime I should receive STM32 and rest of the hardware so I could be in position to test Teensy/STM32 and Arduino.[/quote]

The STM32 is equivalent in speed and features to the Teensy 3.2 and the MiniPCB. So if you have one, you don't need the other.

In case you have not seen it, there is a PCB for the STM32 now, which makes the build much easier.

I look forward for you sharing the STM32 build details on the group. Many will benefit from seeing others build it.

[/quote]Did you succeed to have your OnStep mount ready for testing?[/quote]

Not yet. I am waiting for the belts before I have a friend help me with drilling holes to mount the motors.

But he (Dave) has a CG5 type mount that runs OnStep with the STM32.
5 years 6 months ago #29296

• Thank you received: 27
I posted the following message on Onstep forum:

Here is the responce I received from Khalid:

Alain et al,
Do you have any thoughts on this issue?

Alex
5 years 6 months ago #29304

• Thank you received: 22
--had we done the slew patch at that time, a month ago?

I've also encountered this while in use but haven't had time to look into it nor have I reported it as I've had my hands full recently and couldn't narrow that AND get the other work done in the short times I've had in the field. It did not effect the recent alignment test.

Khalid's remarks sound right. I would add that it has worked properly in the past.

As a temporary workaround, I've been using solve & sync instead of solve & slew, and then hitting the slew button with good results. This could also be a clue to where the problem lies since each routine runs okay standalone. This also works for manual 3 star alignment.

My mount is currently in the shop for either an RTC or GPS addon to correct timing issues. I'm not sure which I'm doing yet.
5 years 6 months ago #29317

@ Blueshawk
Nothing except patches because of variable overflow was done since March ... I was really lazy last few months :)

@ Khalid
yes you are right, OnStep uses ":GU" return codes to update tescope status so it reflects exactly the Firmware Status.
The Status is refreshed in the tab each time there is a change in the return code.

In the doubt, I checked some very little slews (1', 2', 10') both RA and DEC via terminal and status behaves normal
Did the same via Indi Control panel and same results.
2018-09-06T11:22:31: [INFO] Slewing to RA: 10:10:09 - DEC: -0:29:09
2018-09-06T11:22:26: [INFO] Slewing to RA: 10:10:09 - DEC: -0:29:10
2018-09-06T11:22:17: [INFO] Slewing to RA: 10:10:10 - DEC: -0:29:10
2018-09-06T11:22:13: [INFO] Slewing to RA: 10:10:10 - DEC: -0:29:03
2018-09-06T11:22:08: [INFO] Slewing to RA: 10:10:03 - DEC: -0:29:03
2018-09-06T11:22:02: [INFO] Slewing to RA: 10:10:03 - DEC: -0:29:02
2018-09-06T11:21:49: [INFO] Slewing to RA: 10:10:02 - DEC: -0:29:02
2018-09-06T11:21:37: [INFO] Slewing to RA: 10:10:00 - DEC: -0:29:00

@ avarakin
First of all, thanks for your time passed on testing and reporting.
Are you using version 1.3 or 1.4?

Do I understand well: You try to slew some second and the sleew starts but never ends!
Does the ":GU#" return change in the "ONStep Status" tab?
Do you have logs for this situation.

I did a test on bench (cannot do it in real situation, my hardware is not mounted)
I was not able to reproduce this problem when asking slews for 1' or 2' and I saw the status changing from Tracking to Slewing and Tracking again,
This status change cannot be seen in the control panel because sometimes it is too quick, but it really happens

Since in the driver code Scope status if set only once based on Status query it is unlikely that Scope Status is set to Slewing and vever reste to Tracking due to polling issues and missed state changes.
I also check is it is not Ekos setting TrackState=SCOPE_SLEWING, it is not the case.

I am sorry not to be in position to help here.
I will check further but if in the meantime you could take logs of the situation would help.
5 years 6 months ago #29331

• Thank you received: 22
@Azwing. Sorry for my unclear statement. And we all know about your recent troubles. Sick is not lazy. :P

I also encountered the never ending slew. It only happens when using plate solving with "slew to target" selected.
If you hit stop it completes and you find it actually did slew to target.
Using "sync" and then manually slewing to target completes slew okay.
Slewing away a bit and hitting slew to target for short changes also completes on mine.

I'm just speculating but this seems like it could be in the Ekos plate solving routine, but if it is it probably should show up for other mount drivers as well.
5 years 6 months ago #29360

• Thank you received: 27
I will capture the logs next time I do imaging and see this issue. Also I will try other plate solving software - CCDCiel and see if the same issue is present there.
Easy way to reproduce it is to set the tolerance of pointing to some very low value, less than 1'. In this case most of the time you end up with a precision slew and it gets stuck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alain Zwingelstein
5 years 6 months ago #29363

Time to create page: 3.105 seconds