INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Getting started in driver development

• Thank you received: 7
I want to create my own drivers to control electronic devices that aren't covered by any of the standard drivers. I started from the Tutorial section and entered all the command lines to build the tutorials. I thought I would test the "Simple Device" then edit the code as shown to operate an on/off device like a door or dome shutter continuing on to increase the switch function to cover 4 or 5 options. However, the "Simple Device" did not work when calling indiserver. It compiled alright.

I thought I would look at the .cpp file to edit it to add the switches but couldn't find it. I guess I'm missing something and would appreciate some help, please.

Meanwhile, I have been editing the code for the Astroberry Board for multi-option switches but getting strange labels on some of the buttons so I really want to get to understand the whole subject of driver development. I have read the INDI White Paper and the Developer Manual and think I understand most of it.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Gina Davis.
6 years 4 months ago #21299

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How about checking the examples directory within INDI? It has 8 tutorials and all of them can be compiled and inspected. It starts from simple to more complex. What's the problem with "Simple Device" exactly?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gina Davis
6 years 4 months ago #21302

Thank you for replying, here is the problem :-
gina@asc:~$ indiserver -v examples/tutorial_one/tutorial_one
2017-11-25T09:08:02: startup: indiserver -v examples/tutorial_one/tutorial_one 
2017-11-25T09:08:02: Driver examples/tutorial_one/tutorial_one: pid=2307 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2017-11-25T09:08:02: listening to port 7624 on fd 4
2017-11-25T09:08:02: Driver examples/tutorial_one/tutorial_one: 2017-11-25T09:08:02: Driver examples/tutorial_one/tutorial_one: execlp: No such file or directory

I followed these instructions :-From Tutorial
6 years 4 months ago #21303

I've found the tutorials now having searched the directory structure and the instructions in the Developer Manual rather than the Tutorials from the INDI main menu. I'll follow the README in the examples directory and see how that goes.
6 years 4 months ago #21305

What's the current directory when you run that command? use pwd to find out. You should have an examples subdirectory there.
6 years 4 months ago #21306

Time to create page: 3.082 seconds