INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos crash on Startup on MacOs High Sierra

• Thank you received: 19
Installed Ekos to control my setup remotely on my Imac. It ran on the first startup, but since then it keeps crashing on startup. Is this a known issue?

Cheers
Niki

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 1 month ago #23525

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
No it should not crash on startup. I use it on High Sierra all the time. Do you have any log file or information about what you did before it started crashing?

One good solution might be to delete the data folder: ~/Library/Application Support/kstars and the preferences file: ~/Library/Preferences/kstarsrc and after you do that, start up kstars again fresh and see what happens.
6 years 1 month ago #23528

Hi!

Took a screenshot of the crashwindow.
Searched, but the directories you wrote are not there at all.
Installed kstars again, same problem...

Cheers,
Niki

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 1 month ago #23539

Are you using the KStars.app from the DMG on the KDE website, or did you try to build from source? Note that if you just build from source, the files that need to be wrapped up in the app for KStars to work on macs will not all be there and it will not work. If you did want to build from source, you have to use the build script we developed so everything gets setup properly.
6 years 1 month ago #23542

I am using the DMG from KDE Website.
I don´t even know what "build from source" means, sorry...
I just wanted to try to remote control the laptop where i installed kstars on (Lubuntu).
So i would be able to fix the (old) Laptop right under my EQ6 and work from indoors.
The funny thing is, that it worked the first time i tried it.

cheers
Niki
6 years 1 month ago #23548

Are you running on the mac as the same user as you were the first time?

When you say the folders were not there, do you mean that ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Support are not there, or that the files that i said are in those folders are not there? Just making sure you know that those are hidden folders in your home directory. . .
6 years 1 month ago #23568

I am running as the same user all the time.

The folders you said are there, but the files are not...
Tried uninstallation, restart and new installation, but it did not work either.

Maybe the uninstall was not clean enough?

Maybe there are some files left, that i would have to delete too?

cheers
Niki
6 years 1 month ago #23576
Attachments:

That is very strange that the folder is not there. KStars copies the data directory to application support on startup. I don't know what might have deleted it. You can copy and paste the folder yourself though. It is inside the app. If you right click on it, click "show package contents", then go into /Contents/Resources and you will find "data." That is the folder that needs to be copied to application support and renamed to kstars. As for the kstarsrc file, it gets automatically generated by kstars and should be in ~/Library/Preferences
6 years 1 month ago #23580

Copied the folder to the application support and renamed it to kstars.
Same problem....
Can i find the kstarsrc file somehow to and copy it by myself?
Because it is still not there in library/preferences...

cheers
Niki
6 years 1 month ago #23589

I could always send you a working file, but if KStars can't create the file, i would think it would have trouble editing the file too. I would like to know why it is not there on your system, particularly because it must have been there if you ran KStars before?? When you copied the folder or renamed it, did you have to enter any sort of password? I am wondering if it is a permissions issue. Probably not, but just ruling things out.
6 years 1 month ago #23592

Also just to be sure, we are looking in your home folder's hidden library folder, not inside the system's library folder correct?
6 years 1 month ago #23593

Yes i had to enter the admin pasword everytime i made a change in that directory.
6 years 1 month ago #23594

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds