INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars 2.9.3 on MacOS crashes during imaging

• Thank you received: 370
Hi,
I am facing kstars crashes when I run imaging using the scheduler. Initially it worked fine for hours, now it crashes during imaging. I use it under MacOS High Sierra on a Macbook Pro.

Any hints how to drill down, where the crashes happens?

Cheers
Wolfgang
5 years 11 months ago #24972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12
The first thing to do is on the Indi control panel summary page, right next to the start / stop button is a "Logs" button. Hit this and turn on verbose logging for all your devices and Indi. On this page there is also an Open Logs button where you can open a log and view and you can also attach it here to a message so developers can take a look and see what your system was doing and what devices you have.

Are you saying the crashes only started with 2.9.3? What version were you running before that didn't crash.
5 years 11 months ago #24980

Hm,
I am not so sure whether this addresses the problem, since it was‘t the INDI server that crashed, it was the client side. Nevertheless, I will give it a try.

To be honest, I am quite new to kstars, this is the first version I am using.

The strange thing is that kstars ran perfectly fine for hours. The problems began when the scheduler tried to make a meridian flip which led to terminating the session. Maybe the telescope driver does not support the flip, don‘t know.

So I did the meridian flip and the aligning manually and restarted the session. Then the problems began. First, the scheduler refused to start the session although the task constraints were met. So I restarted kstars. Afterwards, the scheduler started the session, but jumped directly to imaging and ignored e.g. to start focussng first. And then, during taking the first image, the crash appeared.

At least that‘s how I remember it.

Any hints to access the Mac specific crash log or image?

Wolfgang
5 years 11 months ago #24997

• Thank you received: 12
You can run the Console app on your Mac to get the kstars crash dump. Attaching it here would be good. And getting Indi logs will be very important as they will give additional details of what was going on.

Here's a link on submitting logs.
indilib.org/support/logs-submission.html

David
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by DAVID J EISENLORD.
5 years 11 months ago #25025

• Thank you received: 809
Not just the INDI Logs, but the KStars logs would be very helpful. If you are having problems with a certain function in KStars, I would turn on logging for that particular thing and then if it does crash or have a problem, then you know what it did leading up to the crash. Thanks,

Rob
5 years 11 months ago #25029

OK, thanks for the hints. Tomorrow I am back home and can check, if I can find something in the console log. And skies should be fine, so I will go for the next session with debugging enabled.
5 years 11 months ago #25032

I could reproduce the crash last night. It seems that it corresponds to a restarted schedule. Initially, the schedule ran OK, but after I while kstars did not react any more - only the "spinning pizza" was turning. The strange thing: it nevertheless seems to work in the background - at least for a while.

After this, I killed kstars and restarted the (saved) schedule. The scheduler mentioned something about calibration frames and jumped directly to imaging - and crashed during the first image acquisition.

Is it possible that this behavior is created by an INDI version incompatibility? On the server I am using v1.7.0 plus my own Avalon driver, the client contains v1.6.8 or so of INDI.

After this crash I started kstars on my Raspberry which is running the server - and everything went flawlessly.

Wolfgang
5 years 11 months ago #25079
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.597 seconds