INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Developing KStars/Ekos, questions about the dev environment

• Thank you received: 3
I was thinking of taking a look at the source and generally getting a dev environment set up so that I can compile, run and debug KStars and Ekos. Googling and following instructions got me to run cmake and successfully compile KStars. Icons seem to be missing though - perhaps I'm missing some package?

Anyway, in order to do something meaningful I'd like to set up an IDE to get comfortable. Documentation mentioned Qt Creator and KDevelop as potential IDEs. I've got Qt Creator installed but there doesn't seem to be any kind of project files in the whole repository. So I'm kind of wondering, what is the preferred way of developing and debugging KStars? I'm familiar with different IDEs and used to the "project file" concept and I'm kind of lost when there's no IDE involved. So how are you developing the project? What is the recommended environment and IDE/tools to do it with? Obviously Qt Creator is the (or at least a) tool of choice given there are Qt UI files around. Anyway, I'm not very familiar with Qt and C++ development in Linux anyway but I'd love to give it a shot... but I feel a bit lost here and would love a little help and a few pointers.

- Robusto
5 years 7 months ago #28955

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
Answering to my own post :)

1. Icons were indeed missing. Installing kdelibs5-data seemed to fix the issue.
2. I just realized that you can open the CMakeLists.txt in Qt Creator, which parses the CMake file and opens it up neatly as a project. Learn new things every day!

So I now have the project debuggable in Qt Creator, which is what I was aiming for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
5 years 7 months ago #28959

• Thank you received: 301
Also check bugs.kde.org and phabricator.kde.org, there's a need for developers-testers for differentials before they fuse into kstars-bleeding!

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarun
5 years 7 months ago #28977

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds