INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

fits viewer : improvments to do science with EKOS

• Thank you received: 9
Hi guys,

I'm doing spectroscopy with Ekos for a month now.

I need some improvments to do thing well and control better my exposition time
First : in fits viewer (in single frame or in ekos), when I use fits viewer, histogram tool... I found a Bug ;)
I found that "MAX" displayed in stat is not 'pixel' max value but 'scale' max value. (scale that can be changed in histogram view)
So, this is not STATS... NB : it's the same for MIN value : it's the minimum of visualisation, not minimum Value.
(I get a eye on code... And it seems code call "DATAMAX/DATAMIN" fits keywords...

Specification of FITS standard says :
KEYWORD: DATAMAX
REFERENCE: FITS Standard
HDU: image
VALUE: real
COMMENT: maximum data value
DEFINITION: The value field shall always contain a floating point
number, regardless of the value of BITPIX. This number shall give the
maximum valid physical value represented by the array, exclusive of any
special values.

SO... I don't think we can use it to store visualisation things as it represents the dynamic of picture.
-> let's create a SPECIAL KSTARS keyword, no ? (Something like : VISUMAX et VISUMIN...)

So, by consequence, statistics about MIN and MAX... are... fake (sorry for my poor english here...). It needs a calculation somewhere (at load ?)

In my use, I need to know which part of spectrum is overexposed. Statistics helps... but it could exist noisy/dark pixels that give a false sensation of overexposition... So I need something like:
-> A button that makes blink all pixels equals or higher ( ?) than the cam's deep or a human entry should be a solution (the better for me, as in DSLR) (first seconds of this video
)

-> Or a selection, then a right click to give stats (real one ;) ) of this crop can be usable too.

Thanks guy.

JB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
5 years 7 months ago #28968

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds