INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI distribution for macOS

• Thank you received: 809
Sometimes there are server issues, particularly with big projects with lots of dependencies like INDI/KStars. The good news is that usually they are short lived. Also, craft makes use of caches, so you can download the source for many programs that don't change much just once as a compressed archive, and then the next time you want to build, craft can use the archive instead of downloading it again. If the source for a particular package fails completely, there are often a large number of mirrors and we can change the recipe to point there instead. Please check again later today and see if the issue is resolved.
4 years 10 months ago #39511

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I just ran the script a moment ago successfully, but it is very likely that I have the source for cfitsio already cached on my system.
4 years 10 months ago #39513

• Thank you received: 104
I find a detailed log with the error in the ~/.craft directory. Then I retry this command by changing the curl options until it work, the error is when using the --ftp-ssl option. So the error is really the HEASARC ftp server as a expired certificate. Nothing to change in your script but wait until this is fixed.

Thank you for the info about the cache of file by craft.
As a temporary solution I put the file in craft/download/archives/libs/cfitsio/cfitsio3450.tar.gz , it use it without trying a new download and now indiserver is compiling fine.
4 years 10 months ago #39514

Sounds good,

Let me know if there are any other issues. Please test thoroughly.

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 10 months ago #39523

Hi Rob,

I finish the build and tested all the driver issues are now solved, QHY is build and load OK, SBIG load without message and EQmod load the SVD plugin. Thank you very much!

I update my script to also build the GSC and make a new test version of IndiStarter with this new INDI build 1.7.8. I also add in the setup an option to set the path to the GSC catalog for the simulator, this work fine.
The updated version is available from:
sourceforge.net/projects/indistarter/files/testing/

and the GSC data can be downloaded from:
sourceforge.net/projects/indistarter/files/GSC/
4 years 10 months ago #39527

For gsc I see several options and we debated this for awhile for kstars.

1. included instructions on how to download and install it from a link

2. A download option inside the software to automatically download and install it

3. Two separate downloads, one with and one without gsc.

We eventually settled on option 2, but I keep thinking 3 would be nice. The reason I haven’t done it is because it makes the download of the software so much bigger and it would mean downloading it every time there is an update which is silly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 10 months ago #39534

Another option I use for Cartes du Ciel that require a lot of additional data is to create a specific base folder in /Application where the .app and this data can be installed, out of the .app folder. The .pkg for every catalog or other data just add files in the base folder. This is why I use a .pkg installer, because it allow to add data in this folder in a more secure way than drag&drop.

Where the automatic download from Kstars put the GSC files? I can add a search at this location to automatically use it if the user already install this file or add a download option at the same location from Indistarter, again to prevent multiple install of this big file.

And just a precision, my last version is with INDI 1.7.8, so it not include your fix for the MathPlugin. But I tested with "Latest" and I can confirm it work.
4 years 10 months ago #39586

Today I make some test to see what is need to run INDI Web Manager on the Mac.

Installing is very simple because it work with the preinstalled Python 2.7, sure making a package with Python 3 is a better option but this allow to test quickly.
So installing is:
curl bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py
sudo -H python get-pip.py
sudo -H pip install indiweb

After that you need to set the environment for INDIPREFIX , PATH , ... and finally use the --xmldir option of indi-web
For now INDIPREFIX can be /Applications/kstars.app or /Applications/IndiStarter.app, in the future it can be /Applications/indiwebmanager.app

I make a script to simplify the launch of the server:
github.com/pchev/indi-mac/blob/master/run_webmanager.sh

And it work without any issue, also with auto-start and auto-connect.

Personally I like the Web Manager and I think this can be a good solution, specifically if installed with all the requirement in /Applications/indiwebmanager.app

What is your opinion on that? do you have idea how to package Python 3 and the required module in the .app?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 9 months ago #39998

Cool! I have to try that. I think that if this works well, than something like the web manager or like it is a great solution, especially since that would mean that folks who are already familiar with that on Linux would be able to just use the same thing on Macs. Let me play around with this! Sounds good!
4 years 9 months ago #40031

Does it work ok with python3?

My current project is to switch KStars from using an internal bundled python2 inside KStars to using homebrew python3 for astrometry plate solving. It would be nice to use home-brew's python3 for this as well.
4 years 9 months ago #40032

Wow, not only was this a VERY good idea, it worked perfectly the very first time I tried it!!!! I'm definitely going to explore this idea further.

So I tried it using the homebrew python3 and with the KStars app bundle which are already on my system. Here is what I did.

Installation:
1. This export is needed to get home-brew's python3 in the path
export PATH=/usr/local/opt/python/libexec/bin:$PATH
2. This is all that is needed to install it all!
pip install indiweb

Then I used your script as a reference to get it set up in a terminal window just as a test.
export TARGET_APP=/Applications/kstars.app
export INDIPREFIX="${TARGET_APP}"
export PATH="${INDIPREFIX}/Contents/Resources/DriverSupport:${INDIPREFIX}/Contents/MacOS/indi:$PATH"
export IOLIBS="${INDIPREFIX}/Contents/Resources/DriverSupport/gphoto/IOLIBS"
export CAMLIBS="${INDIPREFIX}/Contents/Resources/DriverSupport/gphoto/CAMLIBS"
export GSCDAT=~/Library/Application\ Support/kstars/gsc
indi-web -v --xmldir $INDIPREFIX/Contents/Resources/DriverSupport

And it worked like a charm.

This was so easy! I like the solution. It is simple, it already mostly exists, it works on the same computer and remotely, KStars or other clients could start up the server, and it would be seamless between Macs and Linux.
4 years 9 months ago #40034

So to answer your question about bundling python3. I worked for most of the past week on trying to do just that. I had managed to bundle python2 into kstars for the last couple of years. But, that required building it on an older computer, and it started having problems when I tried to update it to build on a newer computer. So I worked many hours over the last week trying to find a solution on how to get that to work. Finally I settled on just making a set of buttons that would allow the user to install home-brew's python3 on the user's computer for use with kstars and some changes to kstars so it would support that version well. I did a bunch of research on this and it seems that's the popular way to use python3 now on Macs. They used to make an installer that put it in a different location, but it seems like the new way is to just use home-brew's version. And of course, to be fair, that is exactly the python I myself have been using for the past couple of years, so I guess it is now the way to do it.
4 years 9 months ago #40035

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds