INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How do you set up your Qt development environment? (Looking for guidance)

• Thank you received: 9
Two years ago I took a Pluralsight course on Qt development. It was great with respect to MVVM architecture of Qt applications but it didn't go into any detail on how to set up an environment for multi-platform development. If I remember correctly the author was using the community edition for the Mac. I came up with an idea for an astronomy utility and then downloaded the community edition for Windows. I am still running that edition today. It reports itself as:

Qt Creator 4.3.1
Based on Qt 5.9.0 (MSVC 2015, 32-bit)
Built on May 28, 2017 21:47:46

Shortly after that I purchased my first Linux laptop: Ubuntu 16.04. I wanted to build my astronomy utility for the laptop but the only way I knew how was to download and install Qt for Linux. It identifies itself as:

Qt Creator 4.3.1
Based on Qt 5.9.0 (GCC 5.3.1 20160406 Red Hat 5.3.1-6 64-bit)
Built on May 28, 2017 14:10:10

So the way I develop is awkward. If I am on the Windows machine I pull the latest source code from my Github repo, code some, test, and then push it back to GitHub. If I am on the Linux machine I pull the latest source code, code some, test, and then push it back.

Now I want to create an executable for Raspberry Pi Model B. I don't want to install Qt Creator on the Pi. There has got to be a better way.

I found a rather old tutorial on Qt's website on how to cross-compile. I figure that is what I need. I've shied away from actually following it due to its age and what I feel are too many manual steps -- too many opportunities to mess up without knowing what I screwed up.

Can anyone offer some helpful tips or perhaps a link to Qt resources?

Thank you.
5 years 5 days ago #37699

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds