INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

TeenAstro driver for INDI

• Thank you received: 31

TeenAstro is based on OnStep. What I am going to say applies to OnStep, and probably to TeenAstro as well.

OnStep does not keep the TCP connection open for subsequent communications. As a result, each command has to establish communication as if it is a new connection.

I wrote a Python API for OnStep , and I had to connect on every call, when using TCP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 5 months ago #44281

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks Khalid, this explains it.

But I don't understand how we can make Ekos work: eithee we keep the connection open all the time, like a serial port, or for every command issued (and this can be one per second or more when polling the mount), the driver needs to open the connection, issue the command, then close the connection (not nice). What do you think?
4 years 5 months ago #44284

I don't have a solution.
But if I am not mistaken, James Lancaster, a maintainer of OnStep INDI was looking into it a couple of months ago.
No word so far.

By the way, this file has the code that handles WiFi for OnStep (TeenAstro would be similar), and there is 2000L on line 394. Also see line 388.
4 years 5 months ago #44285

I posted a description of a possible solution here .
Someone needs to implement and test it.
4 years 5 months ago #44290

• Thank you received: 0
Hello Jasem:
I have written a driver for TeenAstro, with all basic functionality tested. It is in my fork github/fdesvallees/indi. Since I am not familiar with git I am not sure how to proceed now. Note that I have written some documentation according to your recommendations, but I don't know where to submit it. Can you please help? Thanks, François
4 years 2 months ago #47943

Great work François! You can submit a Pull-Request from your fork to the main INDI repo. It will take a little bit of research from your part, but it's easy to do once you learn it the first time. You can submit documentation in the PR as a zip file as well (as a comment for example).
4 years 2 months ago #47945

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds