INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ALS - Astro Live Stacker

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by Ray Wells on topic ALS - Astro Live Stacker

I gave this a try the other night by simulating file drops with old data and found it does a wonderful job! I think it may be working better than my regular one even.(Siril)
I was wondering if you guys have considered making an option to use it as a regular stacker(load a file selection to be processes), or maybe a forked version to be developed into a processing app.

Bravo! :dancers:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frédéric CORNU
4 years 2 weeks ago #50679

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
I agree, it does a fantastic job! But it is too resource intensive to be used on a Pi4 simultaneously with KStars. So image files residing on the Pi4 need either to be accessed through the network (which in my case caused the journal to fill up with 70 GB within a couple of hours and then the Pi4 froze), or one has to set up rsync on the Pi4 to mirror the image files in real time to a remote network drive.

That is probably what I am going to do, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
4 years 2 weeks ago #50680

What has been working for me is to only run indiserver on the pi for control/usb hub(pi3b for now) and have it all sent directly to my main storage hard drive in the house. This way Kstars/ekos runs on the fast pc and I don't have to bulk move collected data out of the pi to process.

I read about your trouble with the journal log getting too big, I wonder if turning it off might help? -- or is that only turning off the display in the gui? :ponder:
4 years 2 weeks ago #50684

• Thank you received: 182
Don't know, I have to try it out. I suspect that sending the read/write data back and forth is what is filling up the journal.
I could also write a script that purges the journal every 10 min or so, but that would be a crutch.
There must be better solutions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 2 weeks ago #50687

• Thank you received: 19
Hello all

if the desktop computer is a Linux machine then rsync comes handy in. Let's assume that kstars writes the images on RPi to directory /mnt/raspberry and ALS expects the images in $HOME/als/scan, then use the terminal and issue the commands
<code>
cd $HOME/als/scan
watch -n 5 rsync -av pi@192.168.4.1:/mnt/raspberry/Light/ . # change the IP address and may be the username ("pi")
</code>
Of course before one has to configure Passwordless SSH access .

Kind regards, wildi
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Markus Wildi.
3 years 11 months ago #51484

Neat! I configure mine to come straight to my file server but that could still come in handy. Also, pubkeys are the shiznit.
3 years 11 months ago #51485

• Thank you received: 7
Hi again everyone and apologies, once again, for the long silence.

Recent times have been quite hectic for us and I guess it is for most of you guys.

Thanks for the nice feedback.

We haven't considered making a standalone app for 'regular stacking'. To be honest, I doubt ALS does a better job than Siril. It may be faster for a decent result, that what ALS is made for, but regular stacking is out of our roadmap, for now.

@El Corazon : I haven't looked into your specific journal space-eating issue yet. I'll try and reproduce it. But I do think this is a system related issue, out of ALS scope.
There are many ways to share files on a network. rsync is one of them. (even though it is file copy) NFS is another one...

I'll ping you guys soon

Clear skies and be safe
3 years 11 months ago #51770

Hi again folks

Nightly ALS builds are now available for the 4 main target platforms : GNU/Linux, OSX, Windows and Raspberry Pi 4
Simply browse to als-app.org/nightlies/ and pick a release.
Just test away and shoot us with your results. We'll do our best to make ALS as great as you guys want it to be

Peace
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom
3 years 10 months ago #53218

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by Tom on topic ALS - Astro Live Stacker

Can it live stack fits file as well?
3 years 10 months ago #53228

Yes it can !

8 bits, 16 bits, 32bits, unsigned, signed, integers, floats.... anything fits :D

As well as common DSLR RAW files

clear skies
3 years 10 months ago #53238

• Thank you received: 133

So I just wanted to give it a try. Got two of the nightlies, but both segfault with a coredump because of errors parsing /etc/fonts/fonts.conf :(
woodstock:~% ./als-0.7-dev-77e1b4e.run 
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:rules"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: unknown element "its:translateRule"
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
Fontconfig error: Cannot load config file from /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
Fontconfig warning: FcPattern object weight does not accept value [0 205)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
(installed is fontconfig-2.13.1-2.5.x86_64)

Then I tried to get the git version and do the venv install. But this one fails with installing the requirements, as there is no opencv-python==4.1.0.25 available.
Using (available) 4.1.2.30 instead collides with the requested numpy version. At that point, I gave up....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frédéric CORNU
3 years 10 months ago #53415

Hi DerPit and thanks for your report and your efforts
Would you mind telling me what system you tried ALS on ?
We'll find a fix

Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
3 years 10 months ago #53420

Time to create page: 0.852 seconds