INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Pentax Driver Testing

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Karl Rees on topic New Pentax Driver Testing

Awesome. How long were your exposures? It makes me want to get out there and see what I can get. I've never had the patience to stack more than about fifteen minutes of light frames. Between coma and focus problems, it was just too frustrating. But I recently acquired a coma corrector and just bought a more powerful stepper motor yesterday, so hopefully I'll be up to the task soon (if I can figure out how to get the motor attached to the focuser).

Live view should be available for the K70 in PTP mode, but there's not much control over exposure/framerate, and I'm not sure whether Polaris would even be visible.

Aside from Bias frames, I'm not sure the updated driver would give you any different results--the main fixes were with the short exposure settings, so really only for planetary imaging.
3 years 6 months ago #59122

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Ralph on topic New Pentax Driver Testing

The exposure time for M33 is 3.5 hours. I usually do not less than 2 hours. The more you get is better. Single picture is 5 Minutes.

Next time i'm trying polar alignment in PTP mode, as long i get a picture every second i am satisfied.

And planetary imaging is on my to do list. Thought about using my guide camera, but it's monochrome. Think i try the k70 and do a lot of drizzle stuff.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Ralph.
3 years 6 months ago #59128

Me again ;)

Stellarmate did updated the 3rd party Indi drivers and i was able to test the new version.

Works as it should be, short exposures (less 1 second) are possible.

Now i can't connect anymore to ptp mode (stopped Indi Server, unplugged cam, mft --> pft in camera, connected again, restarted Indi).

I found a solution to the Problem that my Rasperry Pi won't start while the k70 is connected. I simply added a serial port to the camera using the serial port assistant. Maybe this is usefull for somebody :)

@karlrees

Don't know if this is driver related or indi/ekos. The reported pixel size is wrong. I get always 3 and not 3.88. The resolution is correct.

That causes platesolving in ekos to take a long time and in SIRIL photometric color correction won't work.
3 years 6 months ago #59147

I just updated kstars and the pentax driver, works for me as well, I'm in heaven! :lol:
ISO and shutter speed in bulb mode - what more do you need?
Brilliant work Karl!
And what a fantastic version of the M33 Noideaforaname! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ralph
3 years 6 months ago #59229

@Drawsacircle

Which camera and OS/hardware do you use? Didn't try to change the ISO in Ekos while using my K70 until now.

I realized today that switching to a RPi 4 came along with a broken PTP mode (as stated in the readme file). The PTP SDK doesn't like 64bit on a Rasperry Pi.
3 years 6 months ago #59230

I also have a K-70. I tested it on my pc, Ubuntu, updated kStars and the Indi drivers. Pentax DSLR Native driver, camera in MSC mode, bulb - what I have dreamt of since I started using Stellarmate/kStars a couple of years ago :-)
I’ll update Stellarmate on my Pi4 and see if that also works (why wouldn’t it?)
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Keld Henningsen.
3 years 6 months ago #59232

Then please check in KStars running on the pi in the Indi Panel which pixel size is reported (it's get updated while taking the first photo). The k70 got 3.88, but it is stated 3 in my case. This leads to errors while platesolving because the fits header isn't correct.

If you get also 3, there is an error sonewhere, otherwise something is wrong with my Setup/Hardware.

I'm running Stellarmate 1.5.4
3 years 6 months ago #59233

Pixelsize is also 3 here, I haven’t tried to change it.
3 years 6 months ago #59238

Changing ISO works now as you described it @DrawsACircle :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I usually stuck around at ISO800 when i do my 300 seconds exposures, but nice to know. Double checked it. Camera settings in INDI are updated and after the exposure camera is also set to the desired ISO (when disconnecting it). Great!

I think except the wrong pixel size and bit depth (now 8 bit, should be 16 i think) everything is working fine now as long as you stuck to MFT mode. PTP mode isn't working on 64bit sadly. Maybe Pentax updates their SDK when they release their new APSC camera this year (who knows).

Maybe it would be a good idea to remove the PTP mode. Don't know how many people still use a RPi 3 which only runs 32bit. LiveView would be nice... but i used to do focusing using a bahtinov mask on the camera display and then power everything else up. And maybe my carplug problem is then also gone. On the other hand, if someone uses an autofocuser i think liveview is needed, am i right?

But that belongs to Karl's decision.
3 years 6 months ago #59243

I also usually stick to ISO800, but in case you want to change it, being able to do so remotely via kStars is a lot easier.
You don’t need liveview if you use an autofocuser, it shoots and calculate FWHM (the lower the better), adjust focus, repeats until the lowest value has been reached.
That’s also why being able to adjust both ISO and shutterspeed remotely is a must (I have an ASI EAF).
3 years 6 months ago #59245

Ahhh... good to know. Never used an autofocuser, thought it will use for calculation a video stream.

But i switched from a refractor to a newtonian telescope a week ago. I read a lot about focus instability related to newtonian telescopes and that an autofocuser will save a lot of lightframes.

So LiveView is only usefull for planetary imaging (btw, tried this two days ago the first time using my ZWO 120mm Mini Guider attached to my 750/150, it worked, but i didn't know what i was doing. I got Jupiter and 3 of his moons, but way too bright. But sum stacking the ser file in siril worked... next time ;) )
3 years 6 months ago #59258

I have the autofocuser attached to my refractor and use a Bahtinov mask on my SW 200PDS Newt.
I’ll use liveview when adjusting focus on my newt.
I have only tried planetary imaging once, that was also with my K-70, video mode. I have considered trying to use my 120mini, still on my to-do list :)
3 years 6 months ago #59260

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds