INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indihub.space - equipment sharing & space sustainability project based on INDI!

• Thank you received: 20
Hi everyone!

Just for the info - the new version of indihub-agent v1.0.3 is released: github.com/indihub-space/agent/releases/tag/v1.0.3

Changes:
- agent doesn't act as a reverse TCP-proxy any more, just connect your INDI-client directly to INDI-server as you usually do
- HTTP RESTful control API added - get status or change agent modes via simple HTTP API without restarting agent
- Websocket API added - open WS-connections to INDI-server from web-apps easily
- broadcast mode is removed as for now - I've realized that it is not that easy to broadcast INDI-traffic properly so any INDI-client can understand it, also user experience flow is not clear so decided to postpone this work
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Mike
4 years 3 weeks ago #50393

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 38
Hello dencoded!

Pierros here from Libre Space Foundation (makers of the SatNOGS network). I am excited to see indihub as a potential telescope network, great work on kickstarting this!

I have a couple of questions:
- So far it seems like this is a point to point type of deal. What are your plans for a more coordinated network approach?
- What is your plan about the project in terms of sustainability and governance?
- Do you have plans to open source the server side of your project?

Cheers!
4 years 2 weeks ago #50601

Hello Pierros!

Thanks for showing interest to INDIHUB project, glad you liked the idea and see the potential!

Answering your questions:

- You are right - at this point it is "friend-to-friend" deal at the moment. There is no way to discover other hosts on network at the moment (we will change it soon). We are planing to add directory of hosts where users will be able to "book" time for remote imaging sessions or see things like host's feed of images/equipment/weather forecast/feedback/rank and etc. Please note, hosts won't have to be in that directory but still can contribute images (this is our tool indihub-agent "solo" mode).
- INDIHUB will be processing all contributed images, turning them into data and provide this data as an Open API to anyone interested. Any data set will have a trace pointing to from where that data was extracted (raw images) and how (pipeline of open sourced algorithms). We see INDIHUB as a great resource of data for Space sustainability projects like trusat.org . According to governance - we plan to move in direction where INDIHUB is more decentralized and governed by hosts. Potentially, by utilizing blockchain/Ethereum when INDIHUB web-portal will act as a DApp powered by "open-sensor" nature of INDIHUB (anyone can setup equipment and connect it without asking any permission or any kind of registration).
- Yes, the server side will be open-sourced. I think it has to be open sourced as there are so many ways to process images, I can't even imagine. I think both data acquisition (agent) and data processing (server side) should be open-sourced and powered by people.

Let me know if I missed anything or you have more questions!

Btw, I know about LSF and SatNOGS and have been following your project for a while - I think it is a great effort and initiative!

I think INDIHUB-network is a similar project - we are giving opportunity to contribute to everyone who has a telescope on backyard and desire to contribute.
However, while doing so, INDIHUB as a network will also provide some new astro-photography experiences so hosts can benefit - i.e.:
- remote imaging sessions, so network hosts will have more clear skies, no need to travel with equipment, ability to try other equipment without buying it
- automatic processing/stacking for image sequences
- recommendations for equipment to improve experience and image quality
- hosts will see detailed reports about how the images are used and contributed to discoveries/projects and etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike
4 years 2 weeks ago #50605

Hello everybody, hope everyone's quarantining is going well!

Just wanted to let you know that we have made a first video showcasing a share-session via INDIHUB:

Also, meanwhile we've have been working on a number of things:

1. made indihub-agent to be more light weight in terms of CPU/RAM, I actually have been running indihub-agent v1.0.6 directly on my RPI 3b+ for last four months - it has never crashed or made RPI irresponsive, so it can be considered as a well behaved agent :)

2. redesigned backend for traffic-relays to make it more robust and ready for bigger load

3. image processing pipeline with 1st steps including
- image preprocessing with generating previews
- plate solving and celestial objects extraction
- finding satellites trails and calculating IODs to be submitted to TruSat
- finding moving parts (we started with naive blinking algorithm implementation)
- all this data will be available as public APIs
All pieces of INDIHUB MVP as a platform are coming together and I think it will be ready soon for open sourcing.

4. Integrating INDIHUB with World Wide Telescope project - this is very cool project from AAS and Microsoft so we are very excited to use it for INDIHUB WEb-UI! (coming soon)

5. integrating indihub-agent to be run on host directly from KStars - I will re-prioritize this work and continue asap

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer sky!

Clear Skies,

Denis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Eric, Jim, Paul Muller, Mike
3 years 9 months ago #55728

Thank you Denis for your continued work on this! Looking forward to seeing more integration with Ekos to make this accessible to everyone!
3 years 9 months ago #55731

• Thank you received: 223
Hello Denis,

Have you been able to get a list of indihub users?
Or an option which allows me to find out who is sharing their equipments and how to contact them?

thanks
3 years 6 months ago #59967

Hello!

Yes, we do have all hosts in DB but we need a UI to present them in a usable way. Good timing, we are focusing to release Web UI in around 1st week of October! There will be directory of observatories where you can find and request share session.
Also, with that release we are going to introduce sign up and sign in asking hosts for email, after sign in you can add you equipment (if you have indihub-agent installed) and then you appear in the directory of observatories.

I spent most of the time this summer to make sure traffic can be processed with the minimum of computational resources. Unfortunately, had to stop the imaging processing pipeline process and development as it is getting too expensive, I will need to rethink and optimize it. So all integration with 3d parties is postponed (temporarily). The good news - share session traffic communication is very light weight and doesn't require any significant computational power.

I will post here when UI is ready to test.

Denis

p.s. meanwhile let me know if you want to be a guest to use my equipment - I will be glad to set it up and can message you connection string!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Denis.
3 years 6 months ago #60113

"p.s. meanwhile let me know if you want to be a guest to use my equipment - I will be glad to set it up and can message you connection string!"

I definitely would like to try thanks, not just your equipment but more about the indihub space.
3 years 6 months ago #60364

Just thought of an idea for indihub.
Instead of just sharing your equipment (in other words: having a stranger control your precious observatory), we should be able to share "sequence files + target".

So in a nutshell:
The Indihub website has a map of Indi observatories, with full info about the imaging train specs, bortle classification, live weather info etc...
A user pick an Indihub observatory and submit his sequence file(s)
Wait for results, as in all the raw files (light dark etc...), maybe they could be uploaded automatically to an Indihub shared location between the requester and the observatory owner
3 years 6 months ago #60735

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Denis, this is a cool little project I've just stumbled across and exactly what I need to share my observatory with friends :)

I'm running into a little issue here, maybe you can help? For some reason when I run the agent it defaults to solo mode, I'm not sure if this because of my specific setup. I have astroberry running remotely on pi4 connected to my network via lan and ekos/web manager on my PC (localhost). Looks like I'm probably overlooking something obvious and simple, would appreciate a nudge in the right direction!

Regards,
C.
C:\indihub-agent-win64>indihub-agent -indi-profile=DARWIN -indi-server-manager=192.168.15.90:8624 -phd2-server=192.168.15.91:4400
2022/10/17 20:02:48 Connection to local INDI-Server Manager on xxxxxx:8624...
2022/10/17 20:02:48 ...OK
2022/10/17 20:02:48 Setting active INDI-profile to 'DARWIN'
2022/10/17 20:02:48 INDIDrivers:
2022/10/17 20:02:48 {Binary:indi_asi_ccd Skeleton:<nil> Family:CCDs Label:ZWO CCD Version:2.2 Role: Custom:false Name:ZWO CCD}
2022/10/17 20:02:48 {Binary:indi_asi_wheel Skeleton:<nil> Family:Filter Wheels Label:ASI EFW Version:2.2 Role: Custom:false Name:ASI EFW}
2022/10/17 20:02:48 {Binary:indi_asi_focuser Skeleton:<nil> Family:Focusers Label:ASI EAF Version:2.2 Role: Custom:false Name:ASI EAF}
2022/10/17 20:02:48 {Binary:indi_eqmod_telescope Skeleton:<nil> Family:Telescopes Label:EQMod Mount Version:1.2 Role: Custom:false Name:EQMod Mount}
2022/10/17 20:02:48 Test connection to local INDI-Server on 192.168.15.90:7624...
2022/10/17 20:02:48 Connecting to the indihub.space cloud...
2022/10/17 20:02:52 Current agent version: 1.0.6
2022/10/17 20:02:55 Access token: ff4029529bd741e6953f9e5cfff1a938
2022/10/17 20:02:55 Host session token: d552cd4ae8f14113b54afcf8c295003e
2022/10/17 20:02:55 'solo' parameter was provided. Your session is in solo-mode: equipment sharing is not available
2022/10/17 20:02:55 Starting INDIHUB agent in solo mode!
2022/10/17 20:02:55 Connecting to INDI-server in solo mode...
2022/10/17 20:02:55 ...OK
2022/10/17 20:30:23 Stopping API-server gracefully. OS signal received: interrupt
2022/10/17 20:30:23 Closing INDIHUB solo-session
2022/10/17 20:30:23 could not read from INDI-server in solo-mode: read tcp 192.168.15.47:60316->192.168.15.90:7624: use of closed network connection

************************************************************
                                *              INDIHUB solo session finished!!             *

Processed 0 images. Thank you for your contribution!
2022/10/17 20:30:26 API-server was shutdown gracefully
1 year 5 months ago #87265

Hi Ciarán,

To start agent in a share-mode you will need to provide command line parameter:
-mode=share

Then it will print out on the screen public host name and port to share with friends. Please note only one friend can connect at one time.

Regards,

Denis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ciarán
1 year 5 months ago #87272

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the prompt reply Denis. Amazing piece of software, I can share what's mine with friends who'd love to participate but don't have the means, isn't that what it's all about? :)

I really hope this gets integrated into ekos, it deserves to be.

Best of luck with it.

C
1 year 5 months ago #87274

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds