INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI driver in python instead of C++

• Thank you received: 0
I am currently working on creating an interface between the indi-server and a costum telescope controller. the telescope controller can be interfaced through RS232 andI have written a simple python script to control the telescope from the terminal. However, I have no idea how to make indi-server, kstars, PHD2, etc. with the telescope controller ...

I have found the driver development tutorial page (indilib.org/develop/tutorials/184-building-indi-tutorials.html), but writing an entire driver in C++ is way too much work ...

Is there an easy way to map the RS232 commands, to be accessible through Indi-server?
Would it be possible to write a driver in python? and how ?
3 years 10 months ago #53714

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You can do it via Telescope Script driver... i.e. specify the python command for each command. Though writing in C++ is really not that difficult especially since you already have access to ALL the source code for all the drivers to use as a reference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan Baar
3 years 10 months ago #53721

Thank you for the quick reply. yes , I was looking for something like and indi telescope script driver. However, I can't find any information about it. Could you please provide a link?

Regarding C++, I would really like to write a driver in C++ and I have already looked at existing drivers. However, I have Python ADHS ... which means it will probably take 1000x longer to modify a driver in C++ than just writing it in python ...
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Stefan Baar.
3 years 10 months ago #53797

There is no official documentation for the telescope script, just run it and put the path to the python script for each command. I guess you can to check the code to find out what format it is using. If you can write the documentation after that then it would be great for all future users!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan Baar
3 years 10 months ago #53811

Thank you very much.
I will will try to do that ... and hopefully find some time to write a documentation.
3 years 10 months ago #53864

Time to create page: 0.723 seconds