INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Celestron CGX - Not tracking after slew

• Thank you received: 120
To answer your statements/questions:

1 & 2: I've had to manually toggle the tracking off then back on to get the mount to track after a slew. Otherwise the indi driver's state shows that it is tracking, but the mount actually isn't.
3: The code in Ekos seems to always check to see if the mount is tracking before sending a command to start tracking. It is always wrapped in an if statement like this one:
                if (currentTelescope && currentTelescope->canControlTrack() && currentTelescope->isTracking() == false)
Since the driver thinks the mount is tracking, it doesn't send the command.
4: Not sure about what the indi specification says, but the driver code itself as currently written DOES assume the mount will start tracking, and sets its internal state to SCOPE_TRACKING.
        case SCOPE_SLEWING:
            // are we done?
            bool slewing;
            if (driver.is_slewing(&slewing) && !slewing)
            {
                LOG_INFO("Slew complete, tracking...");
                TrackState = SCOPE_TRACKING;
5: This patch is only run when the scope is finishing a slew command, not a park command. Here's some more context around the patch:
    switch (TrackState)
    {
        case SCOPE_SLEWING:
            // are we done?
            bool slewing;
            {
                SetTrackEnabled(true);

// update ra offset
                double raoffset = targetRA - currentRA + SlewOffsetRa;
                if (raoffset > 0.0 || raoffset < 10.0 / 3600.0)
                {
                    // average last two values
                    SlewOffsetRa = SlewOffsetRa > 0 ? (SlewOffsetRa + raoffset) / 2 : raoffset;

LOGF_DEBUG("raoffset %4.1f, SlewOffsetRa %4.1f arcsec", raoffset * 3600 * 15, SlewOffsetRa * 3600 * 15);
                }
            }
            break;

case SCOPE_PARKING:
            // are we done?
            {
                if (driver.set_track_mode(CTM_OFF))
                    LOG_DEBUG("Mount tracking is off.");

SetParked(true);
3 years 6 months ago #59257

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related to #1, this may only be happening at the start of my night, but I've developed the habit of always toggling tracking off then on after a slew to be sure. So it might be that I'm unparking the mount (which doesn't enable tracking unless you've saved your mount config while it was tracking), doing a slew, then seeing the issue.

As the code stands now, because it is assuming it will always be tracking after a slew, but there are conditions where it may not actually be tracking, the safest thing to do is to explicitly start tracking.
3 years 6 months ago #59259

• Thank you received: 138
I've just checked with my AVX. Turn on, set mount to indexes, do quick align.
The mount is tracking. I can see this because the tracking mode is reported on the HC as EQ-North, rate Sidereal. Also checking the Ra this is not changing.

Start Ekos, start INDI connected to the Celestron driver.
Indi reports that the mount is tracking. Ekos reports that the mount is tracking.

I have seen Ekos not get the stacking state correctly and stopping then starting tracking seems to be needed but that seems to be an Ekos problem, not a mount problem.

I really don't recommend unilaterally sending a start tracking command. Some Celestron mounts will stop tracking for 0.6 seconds when a start tracking command is sent. At least read the tracking state first.
3 years 6 months ago #59261

• Thank you received: 117
I own a CGX-L, and I don't experience the issue described by rickbassham. I pretty much always execute the same procedure and results as Chris describes. My mount is always tracking after a slew to a target, and not tracking after a park. I have never had to toggle the tracking state in the HC after a slew to new target. I would wonder if something is wrong with the mount and/or installed packages if this were the case........
3 years 6 months ago #59262

As far as INDI specifications go, the ON_SET_COORD specify 3 switches:
1. Slew
2. Track
3. Sync

This is the action taken whenever EQUATORIAL_EOD_COORDS is updated. The difference between SLEW and TRACK is that Slew just moves from Point A to Point B and stops there. Whereas Track performs the slew and then engages tracking after it arrives at destination. For most mounts, tracking is re-engaged automatically so there are no differences between SLEW and TRACK. For mounts that have tracking control (on/off), SLEW can be implemented such as that it stops tracking after it is done but this is really not implemented in most drivers.
3 years 6 months ago #59269

For the AVX and CGX-L, if the mount is not tracking, then you do a slew, does it start tracking automatically?
3 years 6 months ago #59272

The code could also be modified to do the check as suggested:
            {
                TrackState = SCOPE_TRACKING;

// Track Mode (t) is only supported for 2.3+
                if (checkMinVersion(2.3, "track mode"))
                {
                    CELESTRON_TRACK_MODE ctm = CTM_OFF;
                    if (driver.get_track_mode(&ctm))
                    {
                        if (ctm == CTM_OFF)
                        {
                            SetTrackEnabled(true);
                        }
                    }
                }
3 years 6 months ago #59275

• Thank you received: 117
For the CGX-L, when I unpark, the mount is tracking automatically. After a slew, it is tracking too. I'm not sure what the state would be if I intentionally (via HC or kstars mount control) stopped tracking and then slewed. Since I only stop tracking if there's a problem or if I intend to be away/not imaging (and then restart tracking), I am always automatically tracking when not parked or slewing.
3 years 6 months ago #59283

• Thank you received: 69
With my experience, I will confirm on next outing, my CGX (latest firmware etc...) tracks once aligned, and continues to track when slewing.

I can only assume, that either mount thinks it is not aligned, or not set to sidereal tracking.
3 years 6 months ago #59299

I'll do some more testing tomorrow on it. Maybe I've got something wrong in the hand controller somewhere, since no one else is having the issue.
3 years 6 months ago #59301

• Thank you received: 9
I have a CGX that I recently updated the firmware on the HC as well to version 7.17.0025 and I will test this out first clear evening I get. Hopefully Friday.

Cheers
Jim
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
3 years 6 months ago #59353

• Thank you received: 0
I am experiencing the same thing even with my AltAz. I have the NexStar+ HC connected to my NexStar 6SE and everything works fine through the HC and continues tracking fine after manually slewing via the HC. But if I use INDI to manually slew the mount tracking does not resume unless I manually slew again on HC or toggle tracking off/on. Was going to try to hack Celestron GPS driver.
3 years 6 months ago #60294

Time to create page: 1.113 seconds