INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Current MacOS Build?

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by AirBourn on topic Current MacOS Build?

I'm seeing an issue with MacOS v3.5.0. Several times now, in the middle of an imagining sequence, I'll click on the Setup/Summary tab and Ekos IMMEDIATELY crashes and disappears. Have to start all over again. I don't think I have any logging turned on, and didn't grab the report generated (to send to Apple). I can look at the OS console logs if anyone thinks that'll help. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
3 years 5 months ago #62963

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Current MacOS Build?

Hi AirBourn,

Please don't send the reports to apple because we won't get the information at all. Try to send any crash reports to either the KStars Developers directly, post them in the forum, or send them as a KDE bug report. We can't get any information you send to apple, and honestly I don't know what apple would be able to do with it, since it's the KStars developers that would need to fix any bugs.

Also note that the 3.5.0 beta that I sent earlier was definitely in a rough draft form. We have made many changes since then. I just spent the last few days trying to make a whole bunch of changes to the KStars Mac build script to update it to work with Xcode 12. I am hoping to release another version soon, but there is still a Mac bug we need to resolve, where the File dialog disappears if you open it in the capture module while guiding.

Thanks,

Rob
3 years 5 months ago #62964

I wasn't going to send to Apple at all - I can just grab them (it's a register dump, etc) if someone here wanted to see them. I've used them before.
Yes - I'm aware that 3.5.0 is Beta, and I'm the one that reported the File Dialog issue. I was just reporting this here because I thought that was the place to do it. Is there a better place? Like the GitHub page with the script that we've been discussing the XCode 12 build?

I have many many years of Mac development experience and trying to help. I have the OS crashlog of this event (three of them, actually) if someone is interested. Looks like it crashed in <code>QLabel::setPixmap(QPixmap const&) + 20</code>
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by AirBourn.
3 years 5 months ago #62965

Yep, this place here is perfectly fine. Putting this sort of thing on the script's Github page doesn't make sense because this report is not a bug with the script it sounds like a bug in KStars.

We really need to get you to test the latest KStars code though because that build is now 2 weeks old. There are likely a number of issues that have been fixed. KStars development has been extremely active recently.

We would certainly welcome you to help out with development if you are interested. We are all volunteers who are astronomers and astrophotographers ourselves. This is definitely not our day job. My day job is a Physics and Computer Science teacher. We are all programming enthusiasts. So yes, if you have years of Mac development experience, we could use you :-). I know that I for one have not had as much time for coding recently because I'm having to reinvent everything for my lessons due to remote learning.
3 years 5 months ago #62966

Great! I'll continue to place bug reports here (or similar forum), unless you think I should engage on the GitHub for KStars? Or both? The Setup/Summary tab crash is definitely a reproducible bug on this Beta build.

How do I help contribute? Dive in to the repo? I do occasionally perform git pulls to see if the build will work here on an XCode 12 machine. Haven't seen updates in a while. We're getting closer - but still fails on some Craft endgame, and I'm not familiar with Craft in the slightest.

On a 3.5.0 positive side - I had an automatic unattended meridian flip and reacquire last night!
3 years 5 months ago #62975

Ha! Curiously, I notice new docs and build scripts in the repo this morning! I'll give a new build a whirl!

UPDATE: I did a build_kstars.sh -r. No joy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Building INDI and required dependencies

Craft               : /Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root
Version             : master
ABI                 : macos-64-clang
Download directory  : /Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/download
Found an dead branch in /Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/etc/blueprints/locations/craft-blueprints-kde/kde/applications/kstars-mac/KStarsMacFiles
You might wan't to run "git clean -xdf" in that directry.
can only concatenate str (not "PosixPath") to str
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/craft.py", line 274, in <module>
    success = main(timer)
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/craft.py", line 264, in main
    if not CraftCommands.run(package, action, tempArgs):
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/CraftCommands.py", line 365, in run
    depList = depPackage.getDependencies(depType=depType)
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/Blueprints/CraftDependencyPackage.py", line 119, in getDependencies
    self.depenendencyType = depType
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/Blueprints/CraftDependencyPackage.py", line 47, in depenendencyType
    self.__resolveDependencies()
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/Blueprints/CraftDependencyPackage.py", line 62, in __resolveDependencies
    self.dependencies.extend(self.__readDependenciesForChildren([(x, None) for x in self.children.values()]))
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/Blueprints/CraftDependencyPackage.py", line 88, in __readDependenciesForChildren
    p.depenendencyType = self.depenendencyType
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/Blueprints/CraftDependencyPackage.py", line 47, in depenendencyType
    self.__resolveDependencies()
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/Blueprints/CraftDependencyPackage.py", line 52, in __resolveDependencies
    subinfo = self.subinfo
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/Blueprints/CraftPackageObject.py", line 328, in subinfo
    return self.instance.subinfo
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft/bin/Blueprints/CraftPackageObject.py", line 311, in instance
    pack = mod.Package()
  File "/Users/bryan/AstroRoot/craft-root/etc/blueprints/locations/craft-blueprints-kde/libs/indiserver/indiserver.py", line 40, in __init__
    self.subinfo.options.configure.args = "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=" + root + " -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DCMAKE_MACOSX_RPATH=1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH=" + craftLibDir
TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "PosixPath") to str

~ Something failed
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by AirBourn.
3 years 5 months ago #62978

I believe this is because Craft/Hannah is currently in the middle of making a big change in craft to update the formerly string path variables to posixpaths. I have sent her several emails with errors just like this in the last few days and in looking at the Craft commit log on GitHub, it looks like she has had a lot more changes related to this. I just updated a bunch of my recipes to reflect these change. In looking at your error report, I think I just fixed this one.
3 years 5 months ago #62996

Ok, I have finally managed to produce a DMG after my update to Xcode 12 last Thursday. I had to make all kinds of updates to the script and the craft recipes, but I think I finally have it working (at least until something else breaks). But anyway, here is the DMG.

I did find the bug that was causing the Capture Module's File dialog window to close while guiding. I told Jasem what was causing it, and he came up with a fix. Now it seems to work great.

Please test and let me know if there is anything else.

www.indilib.org/jdownloads/kstars/beta/kstars-3.5.0-beta2.dmg
3 years 5 months ago #62998

Excellent - I'll give it a shot right away.

Do you think I'll be able to build with XCode 12 now, too? I'll give that a try too. Would be great if I could get a working XCode project so I could debug and help more.
3 years 5 months ago #63001

That sounds great, but please note, like I say in the Github page, you really should use Qt Creator, not Xcode for the actual coding. I used Xcode at first as well, but found it to be cumbersome and the fact that it couldn't edit the UI files made it annoying. QT Creator has a lot more features that we need and is better at editing QT Code. I Include instructions to get it set up on the page.
3 years 5 months ago #63002

Sure - good to know. I started looking through the docs for QT creator (in the repo), but seems they're a tad old. Or, I need to have a successful build complete before I can get beyond adding the Craft Qt version in the Kits prefs. Maybe something new in latest Qt Creator; I'm trying to use 4.13.2 and didn't get very far.

I'd like to have a working build here before I get too deep into either of the projects. I just did a git pull on the build script and didn't see any updates since this morning. Let me know when you think I should try an XCode 12 build again.
3 years 5 months ago #63004

Latest 3.5.0 Beta seems to squash the File Dialog and Setup/Summary Tab bugs!
3 years 5 months ago #63009

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds