INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Enable Autohome for the EQ8-R PRO

• Thank you received: 10
Autohome is a great function but it looks like it is not enabled for the skywatcher EQ8-R PRO in the indi-eqmod-driver. I found an issue about this and offered my help but got no answer, maybe since the issue is closed since June: github.com/indilib/indi/issues/1162

So I played bit with the code an got autohome running on my mount. You can see the changes I´ve made here: sternenkarten.com/2020/11/23/umstellung-auf-die-eq8-r-pro/

I wrote this article in German but the part for enabling autohome is written in English. Maybe this can help the devs to enable autohome or the EQ8-R PRO.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Edgar Scholz.
3 years 4 months ago #63316

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23
@knro fixed this on my mount as a test earlier this year, if you go to the GitHub you will see it, because of a concern over safety it has not been made part of the core release - personally it;'s been fine for me, I think it's time to add it!

Also note that there's a PPEC bug, again see GitHub issues, if you can reproduce it woudl be helpful to know it's not just me
3 years 4 months ago #63562

• Thank you received: 109
Auto-home for the EQ8 is still marked experimental in the INDI control panel as well. It has been working well for me thus far.

Jim
3 years 4 months ago #63564

Same but different. The EQ8-R returns a different response to the driver than the EQ8 and will not work without being patched. Jassem patched it as a test, but the new code was never committed. I think it's probably time it was done given the mount is more widely used now.
3 years 4 months ago #63596

I guess you mean the mountcode with different response. If I understand the code correct, there are only two mounts enabled to do autohome. That´s the EQ8 with the mountcode 0x04 and the AZEQ6 with mountcode 0x05. Btw. I have an AZEQ6, but never realized it has a autohome funktion. Testing is a bit complicated atm due to a corona-quarantäne of me, a collegue was positive, but if thats gone, I will test my AZEQ6 with autohome.

I never found a testing-patch in indi 3rd-party-git. so I did it my way to get my EQ8-R running with autohome. I added the mountcode of the EQ8-R to related functions. This mountcode can easily be found in indi in the firmware-tab. No clue, if this a good way, but it works for me.

About the PPEC-bug:
I never used PPEC. But I will do a test next week.

Edgar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 4 months ago #63632

Edgar - here is the old Githib issue log github.com/indilib/indi/issues/1162, is the correct one - I've added a link to your fix int eh solution. I might re-open it.

Are you going to submit your fix to integrate into the trunk?
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Paul Muller.
3 years 4 months ago #63839

Paul, Thankyou for the link. Yes that´s the issue, I found in the web.

If you or some other guy want to submit the patch, please feel free to do so. I can do a pull request as well, but you must give me some time. I cannot do this before Christmas.

Edgar

Edit:
Fixed by Jasem: github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/commit/...1c5d8a2f046c33795da5
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Edgar Scholz.
3 years 4 months ago #63970

it seems there's a bug in the device itself or I've been training it incorrectly. See here;
groups.io/g/GSS/topic/eq8r_pro_ppec_proc...ky,,,20,2,0,78799913

Be interested to see if you encounter the same problem.
3 years 4 months ago #64435

Sorry, but I can not do any testing in my observatory before Christmas. Waiting for holiday ...
Edgar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 4 months ago #64497

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds