INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indi_celestron_aux

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Ken Kelso on topic indi_celestron_aux

I have found that when manually slewing (with the EKOS mount controller) and tracking Off the scope starts 'hunting' when the slew is stopped. This seems to be because tracking automatically switches itself back on. I guess this may be a feature and in most situations is useful but in some it's annoying. I think this behaviour may have been thought of as this is in the code:

TODO
The tracking should take into account movement of the scope
by the hand controller (we can hear the commands)
and the movements made by the joystick.
Right now when we move the scope by HC it returns to the
designated target by corrective tracking.

Ken
3 years 3 months ago #63917
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Gary McKenzie on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi,
just wondering how far off this driver is from being included in the official distribution? From what I've read it could turn my CPC925 into a scope that could run unattended as it does away with the hand control. The necessity to hit keys on the hand control to resume from hibernating makes an auto run observatory a no go. I'd like to participate in testing , but don't know enough to compile the driver at the moment.
TIA
Gary
3 years 3 months ago #63969
  • Thank you received: 9

Replied by Fabrizio on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi Gary,

the first version of indi_celestron_aux driver was included into indi-3rdparty lib in May, the new version with equatorial support is only in my repository forked from original indi-3rdparty lib: github.com/fabriziop/indi-3rdparty , branch celestronaux_eqtrack.
Reading alignment subsystem documentation, I have understood that the subsystem needs the mount type info only if it has a single sync point. With 2 or more sync points the subsystem automatically understand the mount type. This means that if you have an equatorial mount, you can try the first version driver already in indi-3rdparty lib, providing at least 2 sync points.

Since I need to operate remotely my observatory (it is far away from my home), I soon discovered that the celestron hand controller alignment and hibernate procedures are a real pain for a real remote control. This was my greater motivation to work on this driver and to the extension of the Mount Control Box of Kstars to get rid of the hand controller and to have full control on the scope.
3 years 3 months ago #63987
  • Thank you received: 5

Replied by Kevin on topic indi_celestron_aux

I’ve been continuing to try different things to see if I can get the driver working. I tried the 0,0 coordinates. It didn’t seem to make any difference on my AVX. These coordinates are normally blocked by my house. That’s why I was trying with Polaris. I’ve tried changing the math plug-in. But I just see similar results. The strange thing is that the 0, 0 coordinates should point to the same location in the sky, but in Kstars it doesn’t? It’s always pointing south, but varies in location which doesn’t make any sense to me.
When I do put alignment points in, and I try to slew around I see weird things. Like trying to slew to star that is higher in the sky towards the zenith. And the scope moves lower in the sky towards the horizon.
To this point I’ve only been able to try the new driver with the simulators. I wonder whether or not the simulators may be throwing things off and giving the alignment subsystem the wrong information?
3 years 3 months ago #63999

After a little more testing here are a few things that I have found.

On my AVX, After I do a manual sync using motion control, two coordinates 0,0
Dec and RA controls seem to be reversed.
When I use the motion control arrows, RA only control with change coordinates for both RA and dec axis.
Dec controls only change one axis.
I’ve tested this using the telescope simulator. When I use motion controls only one axis should change unless using the ↖️↙️↗️ Arrows.
3 years 3 months ago #64007

Replied by Gary McKenzie on topic indi_celestron_aux

Thanks Fabrizio,

you have highlighted exactly the problem I have with my CPC925. I am very grateful for your work on this, and look forward to it being released from beta status. I will try to compile it myself (have never done this before!!!) but I'm not literate in this area so not sure if I'll succeed.....I may have to wait until it is included in the full Indi distribution. If I can get it working I will report back on how it works for me. I am in the southern hemisphere so that may be a helpful difference in testing.

cheers
and thanks again for your work
Gary
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Gary McKenzie. Reason: damned predictive text
3 years 3 months ago #64023
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Maciek on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi,
I am new to this whole indi world and have some questions

1. Is there any use case of not having Alignment Subsystem active ? Why not activate it on start ?
2. My NexstarEvo wifi module generating little different discovery packets
Warning: Spoiler!

that do not match with celestronaux.cpp:259
"
 // Scope broadcasts 110b UDP packets from port 2000 to 55555
        // we use it for detection
"

3. I got issue with alignment accuracy while using manual sync method. For example after sync to 3 stars on sky, alignment is bad and even I can't go back to one of my alignment target. Do not now how to debug this, so just wait for my camera and then maybe I figure something out.
3 years 3 months ago #64074
  • Thank you received: 16

Replied by Tunafish on topic indi_celestron_aux

I also have an AVX mount and Astroberry on a 4GB Pi 4. I've been using the CCD simulators for testing.

I spent some time building INDI 1.8.7 and KStars 3.50 on my Astroberry then buildt the .8 celestronaux driver. I kept having issues so I though maybe i built something wrong. Now the Astroberry update is out so I switched over and re-built the celestronaux driver 0.8. Still having issues. I tried it with the USB connection to the handcontrol and it had some errors then moved to using a SkyPortal WiFi module. The errors went away but still issues.

I turn on the AVX and do a quick align, start up INDI with the 0.8 celestron aux, then do an alignment with the alignment tool. It seems to be trying to align roughly with the NCP which is where the index marks on the AVX should roughly point. Then I do a goto to something 30 degrees or so East at about thee same altitude and there's no telling what may happen. Sometimes it seems like it ends up pointing roughly in the right direction. Sometimes its pointing towards the zenith and no where close.

The alignment subsystem is on but seems to be not working. I get this repeated on first connection:

[2020-12-07T15:42:49.234 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - AlignmentSubSystem: "[ALIGNMENT] Telescope to celestial - Apparent Alt 90.000000 Az -89.434569"
[2020-12-07T15:42:49.235 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - AlignmentSubSystem: "[ALIGNMENT] No database or no position in database"

Then when I do the align it seems to sync but nothing updates:

[2020-12-07T15:43:40.278 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "WCS information updated. Images captured from this point forward shall have valid WCS."
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.281 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Solution coordinates: RA (02h 21m 48s) DEC ( 89° 59' 38\") Telescope Coordinates: RA (05h 57m 44s) DEC ( 90° 00' 00\")"
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.285 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ISD:Telescope: Syncing...
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.287 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ISD:Telescope sending coords RA: "02h 21m 48s" ( 2.36331 ) DE: " 89° 59' 38\"" ( 89.994 )
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.361 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Syncing to RA (02h 21m 48s) DEC ( 89° 59' 38\")"
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.455 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - CCD Simulator : "[INFO] Saving device configuration... "
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.457 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - CCD Simulator : "[INFO] Device configuration saved. "
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.458 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - CCD Simulator : "[INFO] CCD FOV rotation updated to 89.8826 degrees. "
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.459 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron AUX : "[INFO] Sync - Celestial reference frame target right ascension 35.449650(2.363310) declination 89.994000 "
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.460 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron AUX : "[INFO] Sync - new entry added RA: 35.449650(2.363310) DEC: 89.994000 "
[2020-12-07T15:43:40.460 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - AlignmentSubSystem: "[ALIGNMENT] Telescope to celestial - Apparent Alt 90.000000 Az -89.434569"
-89.434569"
[2020-12-07T15:43:53.153 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - AlignmentSubSystem: "[ALIGNMENT] No database or no position in database"
[2020-12-07T15:43:55.798 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron AUX : "[INFO] ReadScopeStatus - Alt 90.000000 deg ; Az 270.565431 deg "
[2020-12-07T15:43:55.799 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - AlignmentSubSystem: "[ALIGNMENT] Telescope to celestial - Apparent Alt 90.000000 Az -89.434569"
[2020-12-07T15:43:55.800 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - AlignmentSubSystem: "[ALIGNMENT] No database or no position in database"
[2020-12-07T15:43:55.801 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron AUX : "[INFO] ReadScopeStatus - TransformTelescopeToCelestial failed "
[2020-12-07T15:43:55.809 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron AUX : "[INFO] ReadScopeStatus - HavePosition false "
[2020-12-07T15:43:55.813 EST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron AUX : "[INFO] ReadScopeStatus - RA 5.962305 hours DEC 90.000000 degrees "
[2020-12-07T15:43:55.814 EST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - AlignmentSubSystem: "[ALIGNMENT] Telescope to celestial - Apparent Alt 90.000000 Az -89.434569"

I seems to be stuck at RA 5.962305 hours DEC 90.000000 degrees. That's what shows after I connect and that's what shows after I sync.
3 years 3 months ago #64078

Thanks for joining the testing Tunafish. I am also using the AVX. And I’m also running into problems. But the first thing I see that is not necessary, is that you are doing a quick alignment. This is what I used to do before the AUX driver. With this driver all you should need to do is plug in the handset and turn on the telescope. Fabrizio has posted the next steps on the first page.
Could you test using the motion controls, and use RA and DEC only arrows. See if dec and RA appear to be reversed.
I’m only testing and not involved in the development.
3 years 3 months ago #64079
  • Thank you received: 16

Replied by Tunafish on topic indi_celestron_aux

@Croz, I don't think it matters whether or not I've done a quick align since that's in the hand control and I'm using a SkyPortal WiFI which bypasses the HC. In any case I found out why my sync wasn't working. I needed a GPS module to set the location and time properly. I recompiled the GPS simulator with my long/lat/elevation added it to the config and now the sync is working.

The mount control does seem to be reversed but it also seems to randomly go off tracking to some assumed location while using it.

I can now get it to sync from the mount control but whether I sync using RA/DE or AZ/AL or HA/DE I get the same result. It connects thinking that it is looking at the zenith but I sync at the index points on the mount to it pointing at NCP then try a goto to Capella (which is 65ish degrees east) and then the mount swings west, hits the RA extent warning and ends up pointing at the zenith.

Also tried the pointing at the south meridian and syncing. Didn't seem to help.
3 years 3 months ago #64085

Tunafish,

If nothing else, you’ve confirmed just about everything that I’ve been running into. This driver is a work in progress. Let’s hope they can make some improvements. Until then I’m using the standard driver and the quick alignment process when I have clear sky’s.
3 years 3 months ago #64087
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Maciek on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi,
I am new to this whole indi world and have some questions

1. Is there any use case of not having Alignment Subsystem active ? Why not activate it on start ?
2. My NexstarEvo wifi module generating little different discovery packets
Warning: Spoiler!

that do not match with celestronaux.cpp:259
"
 // Scope broadcasts 110b UDP packets from port 2000 to 55555
        // we use it for detection
"

3. I got issue with alignment accuracy while using manual sync method. For example after sync to 3 stars on sky, alignment is bad and even I can't go back to one of my alignment target. Do not now how to debug this, so just wait for my camera and then maybe I figure something out.

4. "Crazy movements?" Mount started to move horizontally on:
- removing last alignment point
- adding first alignment point
3 years 3 months ago #64096
Time to create page: 1.582 seconds