I ignored any external alignment (it's now daytime) and just tried to sync two approximate sky points within KStars as described. This started with the scope pointing approximately toward menkar, aligning that, then slewing it (using kstars) to the west approximately where Enif would be and doing a second sync.
The telescope pointer within kstars started due north on the horizon, then swung west when i slewed the scope west. However it has not taken into account either sync point.
I've attached the log for the quick test run. Also added a picture of the (i think) relevant sections cut out if thats easier. And finally have added the alignment section of the indi control panel, showing 3 sync points registered.. and the alignment subsystem active.. but not much else?
Edit: Just in case 2 points wasn't enough.. added another vague sync point at Apheratz.
Thanks for the pointers so far... hopefully I can get things sorted eventually!
Thanks Jack for the detailed info! Great job on that. I don't think using the driver should be THIS difficult.
@Fabrizo, if AUX already provides RA/DE (which I presume are final post-alignment processed coordinates), why isn't the driver is using these values as-is if no sync points are defined? Sorry if my question is stupid, I really need to dig deeper into this driver. I thought that we deal with encoders values like SkyWatcher when we're using AUX.
I had assumed that the alignment subsystem was active due to the green light to the left of it. However I decided to click on it anyway... and.... bam KStars was pointing roughly where it should be! Image attached of how it looks before and after (bold is apparently on?).
Have tried another quick test from scratch, but clicked that after connecting and before syncing.. and things are happening! (yay!)
Is this alignment subsystem not active by default? And just a step I was missing?! Hopefully this helps others if they have a similar issue!
Edit: Also the main difference in the logs.. is this "[INFO] ReadScopeStatus - TransformTelescopeToCelestial failed " is now missing. I case that helps diagnose things driver development wise. Also happy to provide more logs / testing etc to help you guys driver side if need be!
Great, Jack. Thanks for you testing. You are probably using version 0.7 of the driver. Here github.com/fabriziop/indi-3rdparty/tree/celestronaux_eqtrack you can find the source of the last version 0.8 (WIP), where the alignment subsystem is enabled by default and warning messages are given if some info is missing to the subsystem for working properly.
Exactly! In this case the alignment conversion failed because the subsystem was disabled. Otherwise it manages correctly the zero sync point case.
In the last driver version, I have enabled by default the subsystem. The green light at the enable subsytem switch fooled me too.
hoped the driver would work when I attach the RPI to the USB PC Port of my CGX, but it does'nt .
Did I misunderstand the usage?
On the other hand, when i connect this port it to my PC, a serial port appears and I can watch the communication with my written program, it displays the traffic between HC, GPS and so on when scope powered on.
Using the USB Serial on Handcontroller it works as expected.
And here further details:
Gelestron CGX, EQ-N mode. Homebrew GPS Module at AUX2, Handcontroller (short HC correct?) at AUX1
RPI 4, Astroberry like setup.
Indi works with Celestron CGX driver (INDI Web Manager), USB via HC Port connected to RPI, Driver appears in indi control panel as Celestron GPS.
this setup doesnt work when connected to PC USB Port of Mount
lsusb shows the device: Bus 001 Device 006: ID 15a2:a50f Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
Listening with my java app shows the traffic on PC USB Port, example:
0x00000000 3B 06 0D 10 04 40 00 00 99 ;....@...
Received: <HDR 3b len 6 Src HCP Dst AZM Cmd MC_SET_POSITION Data <40 00 00 >
0x00000000 3B 03 10 0D 04 DC ;.....
Received: <HDR 3b len 3 Src AZM Dst HCP Cmd MC_SET_POSITION Data <>
0x00000000 3B 06 0D 11 04 40 00 00 98 ;....@...
Received: <HDR 3b len 6 Src HCP Dst ALT Cmd MC_SET_POSITION Data <40 00 00 >
0x00000000 3B 03 11 0D 04 DB ;.....
Received: <HDR 3b len 3 Src ALT Dst HCP Cmd MC_SET_POSITION Data <>
0x00000000 3B 06 0D 10 3A C0 00 00 E3 ;...:....
Received: <HDR 3b len 6 Src HCP Dst AZM Cmd 3A Data <C0 00 00 >
0x00000000 3B 03 10 0D 3A A6 ;...:.
Received: <HDR 3b len 3 Src AZM Dst HCP Cmd 3A Data <>
0x00000000 3B 03 0D 10 38 A8 ;...8.
Received: <HDR 3b len 3 Src HCP Dst AZM Cmd 38 Data <>
0x00000000 3B 03 10 0D 38 A8 ;...8.
Received: <HDR 3b len 3 Src AZM Dst HCP Cmd 38 Data <>
0x00000000 3B 06 0D 11 3A C0 00 00 E2 ;...:....
Received: <HDR 3b len 6 Src HCP Dst ALT Cmd 3A Data <C0 00 00 >
0x00000000 3B 03 11 0D 3A A5 ;...:.
Received: <HDR 3b len 3 Src ALT Dst HCP Cmd 3A Data <>
0x00000000 3B 03 0D 11 38 A7 ;...8.
Received: <HDR 3b len 3 Src HCP Dst ALT Cmd 38 Data <>
0x00000000 3B 03 11 0D 38 A7 ;...8.
Received: <HDR 3b len 3 Src ALT Dst HCP Cmd 38 Data <>
Sending Data to the port works:
You select : APP
0x00000000 3B 03 20 11 FE CE ;.....
<HDR 3b len 3 Src APP Dst ALT Cmd GET_VER Data <>
You select : ALT
0x00000000 3B 07 11 20 FE 07 11 00 19 99 ;.........
Received: <HDR 3b len 7 Src ALT Dst APP Cmd GET_VER Data <07 11 00 19 >
Next Step: selecting the Celestron Aux driver in indi web manager.
In indi control panel it displays version 0.7
Connection fails with:
20:35:48.285: [DEBUG] Connecting to /dev/ttyACM0 @ 19200
20:35:48.285: [DEBUG] Port FD 3
20:35:48.285: [DEBUG] Connection successful, attempting handshake...
20:35:48.285: [DEBUG] CAUX: connect 3 (serial)
20:35:48.285: [INFO] Detected AUX or PC port connection.
20:35:48.285: [INFO] Setting serial speed to 19200 baud.
20:35:48.285: [INFO] Trying to contact telescope motor controllers.
20:35:48.285: [ERROR] Got no response from target ALT or AZM.
20:35:48.285: [ERROR] Cannot continue without connection to motor controllers.
20:35:48.285: [DEBUG] Handshake failed.