INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indi_celestron_aux

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Ken Kelso on topic indi_celestron_aux

So as they say ASSUME makes an ass out of u and me.

AstroGene1000 was correct it is backlash settings on the scope that is causing the problem, I zeroed all the backlash settings and now I can't get it to hunt on a goto.

So I think this issue is closed but a note needs to go in the driver details that the backlash settings on the scope can cause this behaviour.

Ken
3 years 1 week ago #68836
The topic has been locked.

You were right Astrogene1000, I zeroed the backlash values and now it is OK, thanks you.
3 years 1 week ago #68837
  • Thank you received: 52

Replied by Gene N on topic indi_celestron_aux

Good to hear your seeking is resolved.

Question though, in AltAz mode does it ever get to the actual requested position -exactly- ?
I found in EQ mode it would always be hunting in ALT, from a post I did earlier in this thread the ALT rate never went to 0 and the reported DEC never matched exactly the requested and would change over time
09:53:05.081: [INFO] ReadScopeStatus - RA 20.812913 hours DEC -9.423441 degrees
09:53:06.168: [INFO] Tracking - Calculated Alt -15.151356 deg ; Az 156.548387 deg
09:53:06.169: [INFO] Target (AltAz): -15.151356 156.548387 Scope (AltAz) -15.100665 156.304250
09:53:06.169: [INFO] TimerHit - Tracking AltRate -3040 AzRate 14647 ; Pos diff (deg): Alt: -0.052828 Az: 0.240476
3 years 1 week ago #68840

Where are you getting this info from?

3 years 1 week ago #68844
  • Thank you received: 52

Replied by Gene N on topic indi_celestron_aux

I took the existing Driver DEBUG outputs and put on INFO if (TraceThisTick) LOGF_DEBUG("TimerHit - Tracking AltRate %d AzRate %d ; Pos diff (deg): Alt: %f Az: %f", altRate, azRate, AltAz.alt - AAzero.alt, anglediff(AltAz.az, AAzero.az));
  github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/blob/ma...aux/celestronaux.cpp
3 years 1 week ago #68846
  • Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic indi_celestron_aux

Are you testing the main branch or the recent development branch (github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/pull/348)?

If possible, run the development branch - we have re-worked the tracking code. The old one is going to be replaced anyway - so your testing will be more useful with new code (and it seems to work better in my tests).
3 years 1 week ago #68847

If I do a GoTo in Alt/Az mode and then look at the co-ordinates on the hand controller they match and do not change.
3 years 1 week ago #68876

Hi Jochym, I have been testing the main branch, I will now clone your repo and test with that.

Ken
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Ken Kelso.
3 years 1 week ago #68877
  • Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic indi_celestron_aux

Sure:
For one time testing you can just get:
<code>
github.com/jochym/indi-3rdparty/archive/...ads/celestronAUX.zip
</code>
and unpack it always points to the head of the branch. Be warned, it is over 100MB and you will need to re-download it for every change you would like to test.
So it is *much* better to check out the branch with git:<code>
git clone github.com/jochym/indi-3rdparty.git
cd indi-3rdparty
git checkout celestronAUX
git pull
</code>
Each time you need to refresh the repo you just go to the directory and execute <code>git pull</code> the initial download is large (536MB at the moment) but each update is tiny. And you can switch to different branches and remote sources without downloading it again. Chose your poison - as they say ;)[/code][/code]
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Paweł. Reason: Typo
3 years 1 week ago #68879

Hi Jochym,
I have had two sessions now with your 0.9 version on my NexStar 6SE Alt/Az with no problems and the tracking seems a little better. I left the scope tracking for over two hours without much deviation.

One thing I have noticed that is a little strange is that on a goto sometimes the scope sets off in one direction and then after about 90 degrees in Azimuth reverses direction going back past the origin to the target. It is not a big deal just a little disconcerting when the scope sets off in the wrong direction initially.

This doesn’t appear to be related to the cable wrap position.

BTW cable wrap works well.

Ken
3 years 1 day ago #69309
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Thomas Huber on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi I have a CGEM DX. I’m following the Equatorial sync instructions. I’m puzzled by the instruction to rotate by +6 hours HA. If you start at -3 hours HA, this will be a meridian flip correct? But it doesn’t say to change DE. How do I do this?
2 years 10 months ago #71423
  • Thank you received: 9

Replied by Fabrizio on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi Thomas,
when I wrote the equatorial alignment instructions, I was focused on my mount that is of fork type, so no meridian flip is required. For german equatorial mount any motion crossing the meridian obviously needs the meridian flip. This is your case. But even if you perform the meridian flip, you need to point at the same DE = 0. The 180 degrees of rotation of DE axis combined with the 180 degree of rotation of the polar axis done by meridian flip, keeps DE unchanged. DE intended as celestial coordinate. In any case, I will add a note for GEMs in the alignment instructions.

Fabrizio
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Fabrizio.
2 years 10 months ago #71430
Time to create page: 1.415 seconds