INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indi_celestron_aux

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Fabrizio on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi Thomas,

do not mix motion commands from the telescope mount SW with motion control by celestron aux driver. The driver is not aware of commands coming from any other sources than an indi client like Kstars, do anything wrong can happen. To move the telescope, use the virtual hand control of Ekos instead. It integrates with the celestron aux driver.
As you can seen few posts above, Jockym, the main driver developer, has reworked the tracking part of the driver and suggests to use his last version 0.9. Download instructions also above.

Fabrizio
2 years 10 months ago #71449
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Thomas Huber on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi Fabrizio, 

Yes, I think I'm doing as you say. I move the mount thru:
1. A joystick on EKOS
2. The EKOS mount control
3. Kstars goto commands. 
I see now that the 348 WIP is the one to use. I'll install that next! 

Thank you

Tom
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Thomas Huber. Reason: clarification
2 years 10 months ago #71450
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by Gary McKenzie on topic indi_celestron_aux

Any idea yet when this may be incorporated in to the official Indi release? Would like to use it but have been unable to compile it. (not that familiar with linux etc)
Gary

2 years 10 months ago #71456

Hello Fabrizio, 

I can now build the 0.9 code and have that running on my Celestron CGEM DX and Astroberry. After two alignment stars, and a goto operation, the mount completely settles down and it tracks pretty well (about 15 seconds after the mount stops moving, the stars slowly drift, then the stars stop moving. The issue I see now is a mismatch between Kstars and the mount. The attachment shows what I have immediately after a goto to Arcturus. The mount positioned correctly, but somehow the Kstars location before goto and the Kstars location after goto don't agree!

2 years 10 months ago #71633
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 9

Replied by Fabrizio on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hello Thomas,
just to see if I have understood well, your operations are
1. two stars alignment;
2. a goto, using Kstars goto, I suppose;
3. when goto slew ends there is a 15s small drift then tracking is ok
The position mismatch appears now or after a further goto?
Remember that the joystick motion is not yet supported by the driver.

Fabrizio
2 years 10 months ago #71678

Hi Fabrizio, 

OK, I am using the joystick, because it seems to work just fine. I'm using it in exactly two ways: to do the   -3 HA  0 DE positioning, then the +3 HA   0  DE position, and in the alignment where I do a goto, then joystick movement to find the star exact position, then push Kstars "align".   Should I be using the GUI mount control on EKOS instead? How are they different?  It is very challenging physically to stare thru the guidescope while moving the mount with a GUI(where I have to look to see the touchscreen buttons). Is it OK to move the mount manually? (unlock the clutch, position, lock the clutch)?

Yes, for your 1
Yes, for your 2, yes, with Kstars
Yes for 3, the star drifts for 15s, then tracking is good.
And yes, immediately, I see that back on Kstars, I have a mismatch on the star on which I just did a "goto"

Thanks

Tom

2 years 10 months ago #71685
  • Thank you received: 62

Replied by Magnus Larsson on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi!

Arriving late at this party.... I recently got a CGE to play with. Is this indi_celestron_aux expected to work with the CGE? I have the mount connected via the PC port, an RJ45-cable and a serial-to-USB-converter, connected to a Raspberry running Stellarmate nightly. Nightly has the driver, so I can use it. It all connects niecly, but alignment does not work, the scope points in all interesting directions, and when slewing, it jumps all over the map. So: is there something wrong with my connection, or does it simply not work with this mount?

Magnus
2 years 9 months ago #72598
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Craig Oakley on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi,

Does the Celestron AUX driver have any hidden slew limits?

On initial connection, I cannot manually slew more than approximately 20-30 degrees east of North. I have no slew limits set and no problems slewing west of North.

My initial mount setup has the RA and Dec set to the index marks and counterweights pointing North. The hand controller is disconnected as suggested. I am using the SkyQ WiFi module.

After much trial and error, I found a partial work around. I initially position the telescope on the East side of the mount, counterweights facing West.

I could then manually slew to any part of the sky, but KStars was still confused as to where the mount was pointing even after a dozen plate solves. Any Goto command would point the scope to the wrong part of the sky.

So, maybe someone out there has experienced similar issues and can offer some suggestions.

Thanks
2 years 4 months ago #77316

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic indi_celestron_aux

Try to use the "Nearest Alignment" plugin instead of default, I think this might help. I think it ought to be the "Default" alignment algorithm.
2 years 4 months ago #77319

I was able to get in some testing last night.

I tried the "Nearest Math Plugin" with no success. The default is "Inbuilt Math Plugin".

Just to verify my setup, I went back to the old Celestron CGEM driver (indi_celestron_gps) with the hand controller and RS 232 cable. Everything works with no issues.

Then I verified the SkyQ WiFi module without Ekos using the Celestron SkyPortal app. Again, everything worked as expected with no issues.

So back to testing the Celestron AUX driver. Before every test I reset the mount to the initial configuration: EQ North with RA/Dec set to the index marks. I also reset the driver (purge configuration).

I even tried the Celestron AUX driver using the serial interface. No matter what steps or math plugin I use, the mount does not know where it is pointing. I also tried both manual and plate-solving to sync.

For example: I reset my mount configuration and the driver. Power up with the hand controller connected. With the mount pointed towards Polaris, I use the hand controller to slew to a bright star and sync Ekos with the RA and Dec coordinates. I repeat this with at least 6 stars added to the alignment set size. Then I use Kstars to goto a new star close to where I was last pointing. The mount slews far in the opposite direction.

If you would like me to test any specific procedure, just let me know.

Thanks for the help...
2 years 4 months ago #77390

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic indi_celestron_aux

After the 1st step, slewing to a bright star and then syncing, does the mount crosshair jump to the new synced position?
2 years 4 months ago #77392

Yes. In fact, after each slew and sync the crosshair hovers over the correct position in Kstars.

However, when performing a goto after the sync stage, the crosshair no longer matches the actual mount position.
2 years 4 months ago #77394
Time to create page: 2.942 seconds