INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indi_celestron_aux

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Maciek on topic indi_celestron_aux

And I just run into something odd - after writing last message, pressed again "slew to target" error jumped from 60 to 400arcsec (ok some time passed by) but it goes into loop moving to the same place and plate solving same place, but on kstars map it was moving to right place, and after plate solve jumped into real bad place.
2 years 4 months ago #77441
The topic has been locked.

@Paweł, @Jasem I can provide access to my indi server over internet for you
2 years 4 months ago #77442

In daytime like today I can point the moon using my muscles, and tell SkyPortal that I am pointing it or just use my NexStar hand controller to do the same. Just one calibrating point with proper leveled mount is enough to follow the moon for hours. No North Alt 0 requirements not any, just point to the moon and follow it. Not a chance with Indi_celestron_aux :-(

I have a dream - to take out my gear, connect to it from my worm home (just like using astroberry with indi server) - press one button (auto align to sky using mount, camera artificial horizon and plate solve) and just enjoy the views....

Have a good day :-)
2 years 4 months ago #77968
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Craig Oakley on topic indi_celestron_aux

I started to debug my issues with the indi_celestron_aux driver and made a major breakthrough last evening.

Please forgive my coding methods, I have been familiarizing myself both with the INDI framework and development under Linux.

To summarize the issue, it appears the indi_celestron_aux driver never initializes the motor controllers using the MC_SET_POSITION command. Both the ALT and AZM controllers have no known values and thus no home position (i.e. the mystery slew limits in RA).

For example, I added a "zero" button to the indi_celestron_aux driver. This allows me to initialize the controllers with a home position after startup.

AUXCommand raCmd(MC_SET_POSITION, ANY, AZM);
raCmd.setPosition(STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION / 4);
sendAUXCommand(raCmd);

AUXCommand decCmd(MC_SET_POSITION, ANY, ALT);
decCmd.setPosition(STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION / 2);
sendAUXCommand(decCmd);

This immediately fixes my slew limit problems. The mount now knows I am positioned at the index marks. However, this is still a work in progress.

I would like to mention two very helpful resources: Rick Bassham's indi-celestron-cgx driver and the AUX protocol document by Andre Parquette (see below).
github.com/rickbassham/indi-celestron-cgx
www.paquettefamily.ca/nexstar/NexStar_AUX_Commands_10.pdf

In my early investigation, I found it easy to modify Rick Bassham's driver to support the SkyQ WiFi module without the need for a hand controller. Since my mount does not support automatic alignment (MC_LEVEL_START and MC_LEVEL_DONE), I also modified the code to manually zero the mount at startup.

Testing the mount indoors with the modified indi-celestron-cgx driver, all my primary issues are fixed. After the initial startup, I can fully control the mount through WiFi with no hand controller. I can also successfully goto any object using KStars.

I am hoping to test outdoors in the next few days; my local weather has not been cooperating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 4 months ago #78051
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by Gary McKenzie on topic indi_celestron_aux

Craig,
are you using a CPC mount or a cgx. I have a CPC wedge mounted and would like to use the aux driver, but found that the lack of a home starting position was a pain. Your mods seem to fix it....so wanted to confirm I could use it with my mount..
cheers
Gary
2 years 4 months ago #78052
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Craig Oakley on topic indi_celestron_aux

I am using the original Celestron CGEM with only the SkyQ WiFi module (hand controller is disconnected). My test setup is with the mount in EQ North configuration.
2 years 4 months ago #78053
  • Thank you received: 62

Replied by Magnus Larsson on topic indi_celestron_aux

Hi!

Most interesting! I have a CGE-pro, also with home sensors. I am, however, not very familiar with the different Celestron mounts. Would your changes to the driver be helpful also for this mount, the CGE-pro? I'd be happy to test but I am no developer. 

Magnus
2 years 4 months ago #78055

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic indi_celestron_aux

Great development progress Craig! It would be great if this driver can also support the Celestron Focuser as well (right now, only Celestron GPS driver does). But at any rate, what remains pending in the current driver?
2 years 4 months ago #78059
  • Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic indi_celestron_aux

I am scheduling a debug session with Maciek for next week.
We will try to decide if the problem is indeed marker positions.
It well may be that it works in AltAz by accident of zeroed encoders
at Az=0 Alt=0 on power on. On the other hand it should not matter
since this is a simple rotation which the alignment procedures should
take care of.
Jasem: can you confirm that the arbitrary rotation in both axis should
be handled by alignment?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 4 months ago #78063

The default alignment algorithm now in INDI is "Nearest" which doesn't use a pointing model like "Built it" or "SVD". Not sure how these two would account for rotations.
2 years 4 months ago #78067

Hi Craig, any update on this? I'm checking the driver today and thought I'd ask you if you want to submit any changes so I can incorporate it in my testing. I have Celestron Evolution Alt-Az.
2 years 3 months ago #78398
  • Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic indi_celestron_aux

Unfortunately, the debug session did not happen yet. The weather did not cooperate.
But preparing for it, I stepped into some problem. I got crashes while connected with simulator - actually on processing the first message. My last check was with 1.9.0 (I think). Are there any substantial changes in the API in last few revisions. I had no time yet to go deeper with this. At the moment, the driver does not work with 1.9.3. I will try to fix it ASAP. The problem seems to be connected with logging functions in the message processing procedure.

BTW. I have corrected dependencies in the debian packaging for the whole 3rdparty tree. I think it needs more work still, and probably some higher level scripting to build the entire tree as debian packages.
2 years 3 months ago #78399
Time to create page: 1.237 seconds