INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

NexDome won't slave past meridian

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I have a consistent issue where my NexDome won't slave movement past the Meridian.  Slaving the dome past 0 degrees happens before the mount does of course when the scope points east.
If I manually disable slaving when it gets to 0, and then re-enable it, then the dome moves correctly.  However, during a sequence or schedule this doesn't happen automatically.

I have a log file for my most recent run saved here (7Mb): drive.google.com/file/d/1k7-_tXN_ZUGPjFo...z9-/view?usp=sharing 

At time index '[2021-08-05T00:54:02.918 PDT DEBG ]', the last slaving calculation occurs and the dome move command is sent.  Note the dome movement dead zone is about 300 steps.
After the dome angle goes from 0.1 to 359.9 degrees the slaving calculation is no longer reported in the log.  
Note the Serial Timeout error is because my shutter went offline during the run.

I know from the NexDome Facebook group that someone else using Ekos has the same issue.

Please let me know if any further information is required, or if different settings for my slaving setup are required.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
2 years 8 months ago #74188

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I noticed in the log that the dome status gets set to 1 (IDLE) and that's when the slaving stops:
[2021-08-05T00:54:02.935 PDT DEBG ][org.kde.kstars.ekos.observatory] - Setting dome status to 1

I'm guessing the issue is because the code thinks going from 0.1 degrees to 359.9 degrees exceeds the dead zone (which is set at 2 degrees), but the dome doesn't actually move.
2 years 8 months ago #74190

A further follow up that might be related, but last night as the dome slaving crossed from 179.9 to 180 degrees, the dome moved to 270 degrees, and then back to 180.1 degrees.
Cropped log file attached 

File Attachment:

File Name: ekos-log-n...0806.txt
File Size:106 KB
:

Thanks,
David
2 years 8 months ago #74211
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 155
This happened to me tonight with the Mac OSX version.  It slewed to 270, then back to 180.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Peter Kennett.
2 years 5 months ago #76981

I see no further discussion on this topic, but the problem still exists.
I don't know if the issue is with the CEM120 driver or the Nexdome driver.

But the issue is that once the mount crosses from East to West the dome stops syncing to the mount, On the INDI mount controls, this shows when the dome crosses zero degrees in either direction. Once the dome hits zero, it stops rotating until I press ABORT. Then it continues again. This causes me to have to watch for this point and be ready to hit the ABORT button. So last night I forgot to, and lost two hours of images because the dome stopped and I failed to note that the dome had hit the zero degree point.

I would gladly pay someone to fix this.
2 years 3 months ago #79273

Hi Peter,

I think I have a fix! I found a couple of issues in the INDI Nexdome driver and have been testing the changes. I need to make an official branch and pull request.
What version of the INDI driver are you using and what distribution of Ubuntu? You might be able to confirm the fix for me.

Cheers
David
2 years 3 months ago #79274

I'm using the Mac OSX version, and I have no idea how to even see what version of INDI is in there.

Peter
2 years 3 months ago #79275

OK, I'm using Ubuntu, so I can't send my driver.  I'll work on getting the code checked in.
2 years 3 months ago #79276

If it works… I'd switch over to Ubuntu!
2 years 3 months ago #79277

It’s really not the meridian that stops my dome. It’s zero degrees azimuth. When the scope points to zero degrees azimuth they dome stops syncing. I have to press abort on the INDI dome controller to get it started again. I tried setting the dome to sync on the Mount position and that fails. Last night I switched to Hour Angle and that failed too. I only found out at 5am when I saw that it stopped syncing again when the dome reached zero degrees and I list two hours of images.

I don’t know why the Nexdome driver stops once it reaches zero. I don’t know what else to try.
2 years 3 months ago #79326

I added my code changes and made a pull request.  Not sure how long it will take to get a mac build done.  I'll keep an eye on the Ubuntu nightly's.

This is my first INDI contribution, so hopefully I did it right. :-)

github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/pull/525
2 years 3 months ago #79342

There appears to be a new Mac build, not sure if that has the latest changes to NexDome included.
The latest Ubuntu seems to work.

indilib.org/forum/ekos/11081-mac-kstars-...ild-please-test.html
2 years 3 months ago #79438

Time to create page: 1.155 seconds