INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

"Dome parking / Telescope parking" policy

Well, that's possible as well. I have a roll-off but it's perfectly safe for the mount to be in any position. At any rate, once we have the matrix then it's possible to account for all possible permutations safely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gilles Gagnon
3 years 10 months ago #52971

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54
Sorry I did not see your message earlier. From your picture, I can see that clearance is not a problem for your mount/roof combination.

I can try to come up with a matrix of the different possibilities for domes and other types of mounts but as I may not be aware of all the subtleties, I may be missing a few or more cases. I hope to come up with something soon.
3 years 10 months ago #53166

Hello Jasem, I started making videos of mount and roof exemplifying the different mount and roof/dome parking policies, as presented in Gonzo's case study. I will be able to prepare a matrix of the different cases as well as provide the videos if you see them fit. The expected behavior, from my knowledge, will be included in the matrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Gonzothegreat, Eric
3 years 10 months ago #53222

Wow thanks for all the effort to make this, it's greatly appreciated! Once it is ready, we'll see the community response before we draft a design document to account for all cases before the refactoring works start in INDI. Thanks again for this tremendous work!
3 years 10 months ago #53242

Here is a video example of one of the mount/dome(roof) policy combination from the case study in indilib.org/forum/mounts/2938-dome-telescope-lock-policies.html . It presents from

test #2:
mount and roof started as unparked (open) and telescope tracking a target
read: telescope is pocking out of the dome/roll-off
goal: close the roof/dome

case 2_7:
Dome parking policy set to: Dome parks
Telescope parking policy set to: Telescope locks
action: park the dome
results: Roof closes/parks, even though it should not, then the mount/scope parks... ouch!

To me, this action should have resulted in either:

1) The roof does not park/close and a warning is issued about the mount not being parked; or
2) The mount/scope parks and, when parked, the roof closes

I already have almost 16 of the 32 possible cases on video where one can see the problem cases. 8 of the remaining 16 cases should not require video as they are the cases where the mount is parked and we play with the roof (Gonzothegreat test #3), and I hope to make the remaining videos before the end of the week. I expect to have 42MB worth of HD video when I am done, don't know how I will make that available, suggestions are welcome.

P.S. For those wondering why my observatory roof does not open all the way, I have very tall pine trees to the north so the view is very much obstructed. Version 2 of the roof is already percolating in my neurons and should be better.

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
3 years 10 months ago #53277
Attachments:

INDI_Mount..._2_7.mp4

• Thank you received: 17
How great that you are testing this, thanks from my telescope and me !!! And cool observatory :-)

Is there an option in ekos or indi to e.g. send an email or run a shell script if the parking fails ( your 1) ) ? If not, then consider this a feature request :-)
3 years 10 months ago #53278

Thanks.

Fortunately I can do all those tests without destroying anything, which I almost did when I tested the roof closure with the scope in the 'home' position. I hope they will provide useful information.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Gilles Gagnon.
3 years 10 months ago #53287

Can you please create an issue for this in Github? I'm thinking we might fund this issue via IssueHunt and see if anyone steps in to fix it.
3 years 8 months ago #56387

As, among other things, I needed to implement fail safe features to my observatory (close call), I am (very) late with the testing of the dome and telescope parking policies which I need to finish. Sorry about that.

I can look into adding the issue to the IssueHunt to attract interest into solving the problem, hoping that it can be a rapid fix to what can be an hazardous situation, for the equipment.
3 years 8 months ago #56423

• Thank you received: 3
Sorry I got the wrong post for my answer.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Porchet.
3 years 8 months ago #56556

• Thank you received: 223
Someone point me in the right direction of the drivers please, or code responsible for the parking. I am no coder but I can ask a friend and/or see if I can find something odd.
3 years 8 months ago #56569

• Thank you received: 42
Just took a look on the Dome side it seems like the implementation is in indidome.cpp Dome::ISSnoopDevice
Expect there will be something similar on the Telescope side. First glance it might not be so much a bug as a not implemented as assumed. Needs someone familiar enough with the code in depth to be able to make a relatively quick modification. Or time to study the interactions and use cases to not screw up actual Domes expected behavior with side effects.

Looking at it from an external view based on the work with the test cases. Can the desired behavior be described. And are any additional property values or snooping options needed to describe the rules.
3 years 8 months ago #56570

Time to create page: 0.691 seconds