INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

DIY motorised roll-off observatory roof - what INDI driver?

• Thank you received: 0
Tom
A quick read of the HOWTO and I can say it will be very helpful.
I will work with it and come back with any ideas that may make it easier.
I have attached the log indi log files that show the crashes.
I am using Stellarmate 1.6 and KStars 3.5.5 Stable.build 2021-09-30T19:39:54Z.
I followed this for this link, from the iNSTALL, for the driver building process: indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-buil...st-libindi-ekos.html
Then followed the INSTALL for the building the indi-rolloffino driver and associated files.
My Ekos Obs and Iindi Control panels are the same as your images.
Thanks

2 years 4 months ago #77401
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tom,

Thank you! This is great. I think I would probably just add a generic diagram at the top showing the overall components of the system and some arrows to make users see how things interact so.

Perhaps something like this: Rolloff roof --> motor --> relay --> arduino --> USB to raspberry pi --> INDI driver --> KStars

Just an overall system architecture. Would there be links to the different .ino files so that users can flash them?
2 years 4 months ago #77402

Jasem
I am going to start afresh for the driver.
Will i be right in starting from section 1 of "indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-buil...st-libindi-ekos.html" to build the indi_rolloffino driver seeing that I am using Stellarmate and KStars 3.5.5 on it or should I be starting from section 3? 
Thanks

2 years 4 months ago #77403

• Thank you received: 42
The Arduino examples are included in the install and left in place in the 3rdparty sub-directory. Will make that clearer and reference some Arduino SDK doc that describes how to use them.
2 years 4 months ago #77405

Krish,

From your info about what you are running there should not be a version mismatch issue. I don't understand the Ekos live and websocket relationships but no reason to suspect that or Stellarmate related.

If you have the debug log matching the Kstars log there might be additional info there.

From the Kstars log this is a startup situation, not the case where you were able to close relays and read the switches. It is probably the initial connection message that failed although the logging is not clear about that. What is strange is that it is the Arduino returning an error indicating a syntax error for what is probably the driver's initial canned request for its version number. This could happen I suppose if the baud rates between the two did not match or there was some other communication problem.
This initial exchange between the driver and the Arduino is taking place in the context of establishing the initialization and connection between Ekos and the driver. I think the failure to establish this causes the driver to be shutdown.
by the indiserver. Some debug logging might need elevating to error messages if there is anything helpful there.

Meanwhile perhaps you can watch out for communication errors and and see if there are cases that occur other than when first starting.
2 years 4 months ago #77412

Krish,
I updated the roolloff.ino.standard example with the same structure as the .ar1450 and the how-to description. Its setup is now for the Uno model using pullup resistors. Did a basic test of it using a Uno relay shield. There was an issue after uploading the sketch to the Uno the first use of the connection after that took several seconds to respond. The driver was modified to log a warning before continuing instead of an error. Consider running the build again to pick up these modified files.
2 years 4 months ago #77615

Thank you
I will try it in a few days and let you know.
2 years 4 months ago #77632

2 years 4 months ago #77651

Tom
I tried this with your latest version.
It works just great.
Thank you very much for the work you put into it.
Now for me to pursue trying to load it onto my macOS. That is where I prefer running KStars with the RPI just being the server. macOS seems to be ok with building the folders and the libraries but does not want to accept the cmake commands.
Thanks again for your help.
2 years 4 months ago #77678

The MAC is running the Ekos client. The RPI server is where the drivers including the roof driver is running. It is on the RPI where you have already built and installed the driver. Then it does not seem there is an additional build needed on the MAC or am I misunderstanding?
Do you just need to be able to refer to the remote roof driver in the Ekos profile editor on the MAC?
2 years 4 months ago #77683

Hello Tom
I am sure it is most likely me that is misunderstanding how the Stellarmate(RPi) is meant to work as a server or still have not done something correctly loaded.
The way I run my system is:
1. I connect all my equipment to the StellarMate(RPi).
2. I run KStart/Ekos on my Mac
3. I set up a profile in "Remote" to the appropriate StellarMate(RPi) IP address.
4. Select all the devices/drivers that I have connected to the StellarMate(RPi). 
5. I start the profile that connects to the RPi via ethernet, either direct cable or wifi on my LAN network.
I do not see the RollOff ino as an option to be selected from any of the drop downs on the Mac.
In thinking about your response I tried something different to set up a profile, using the wizard.
I set profile this way and was able to see the driver and run the profile and I was able to see the RollOff ino in the Indi Control Panel.
However I did a stupid thing and accidentily deleted that profile and now I cannot repeat what I did.
Do you know a different way I should be doing this so I can see all the drivers on the StellarMate(RPi)
Thanks
Krish
2 years 4 months ago #77715

On the RPI there should be a file put there by the build you did.
/usr/share/indi/indi_rolloffino.xml

I run Ekos and the drivers on the same computer and there I can see the driver. I am unsure whether if the above file was in an equivalent directory on your MAC if that would allow the rolloffino driver to be seen like those drivers provided by the normal install.

On the MAC in your Ekos profile, in addition to the drivers you use from the normal install try adding the rolloffino one using the remote specification.
Just below where you select the drivers is the Remote field showing the syntax to use. If you hover over that field it show some specific examples. You want to use the name of the driver in a quoted string where case and spaces are significant.
"RollOff ino"@rpi-host:port

indiserver needs to be running on the RPI for it to work, perhaps the use of INDI web manager will take care of that? Port can default to the indiserver's default of 7624
2 years 4 months ago #77721

Time to create page: 0.807 seconds