INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Imaging during partly cloudy nights

• Thank you received: 16
Wolfgang,

That is not how mine works... it never aborts the job. I had a couple of hours of failed guiding with aborted capture, but the sequence never aborted... so no re-alignment.

Ron
2 years 6 months ago #75376

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hm, that's strange. Could you please post the log of such an example?
2 years 6 months ago #75378

Wolfgang,

I posted the log earlier in the thread. As was discussed earlier, it might have found a hot pixel... but I was using darks. It's been difficult over the last few weeks to test because of lack of clear skies.

I'm currently traveling, but will try again once I get a clear night.

Ron
2 years 6 months ago #75380

Hi John,
when guiding fails, the restart of guiding normally re-uses the calibration, no matter whether "Store and reuse guide calibration..." is selected. With this option selected, the calibration is stored and will be reused the next time KStars is started.

The option you might search is one above the "Restart Alignment on Guiding Calibration Failure" - its "Force re-alignment before starting each job.
2 years 6 months ago #75389

Hi Ron,
in your case guiding didn't abort, it continued guiding. The problem you mention is that it didn't select a real star and used a hot pixel instead. But this cannot be distinguished from KStars perspective. Technically, its guiding and therefore there is no need to restart the job - from a technical perspective.
2 years 6 months ago #75390

Wolfgang,

I'm sure you're correct. I guess the darks didn't work. Perhaps I'll try selecting only using "mid-sized stars" for guiding.

Ron
2 years 6 months ago #75391

• Thank you received: 274
Thanks Wolfgang.
2 years 6 months ago #75398

• Thank you received: 133
Guess I was bitten by that, too, last night.  Clouds at 1am, that went away again around 3am.  Capture never aborted, but somehow the FOV had drifted half a degree, so the remaining 3h of (good quality) data were off-target :(

2 years 6 months ago #75413

Hi Peter,
sounds like a regular alignment would have helped. Did you use the scheduler together with the "Force re-alignment..." option?
Cheers
Wolfgang
2 years 6 months ago #75416

Yeah, I'm guilty there - I still only run the sequences from the capture module... For my conditions here usually the temperature refocus and only-start-if-guideerror-below settings are enough to keep me running all night.

But the point was rather the hot pixel issue, as I'm quite sure that is what happened, as my mount has RA encoders that by themselves would never drift off that much. Maybe the guide section should also get a 'minimum HFR' setting? Or is something like that always active?

Edit:  Ah of course it is - just "hidden" in the SEP profile.  So it really shouldn't lock on hot pixels then....  I'll have to investigate.  Coming nights will be far too windy anyhow :-/

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Peter Sütterlin.
2 years 6 months ago #75417

To avoid guiding on hot pixels I think still the best solution are darks for guiding.

If that is not sufficient, both PHD2 and the internal guider have settings to limit the minimal pixel size of guiding stars. Setting the limit to 1.5px might be a good starting point
2 years 6 months ago #75418

Yes, I tried that lately. But when I switched to 2x2 bin it didn't find darks and disabled the option, which I forgot to re-enable when I switched back to 1x1....
I only found the setting in the SEP profile (star area), and a maximum HFR in the guide section. Did I overlook something?

Edit: This editor really makes me sick.  Switched to 'source edit' and then the quote is no longer displayed when I save
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Peter Sütterlin.
2 years 6 months ago #75421

Time to create page: 0.662 seconds