INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guide calibration fails

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Simon on topic Guide calibration fails

I can add that I tried doing a calibration using the simulator and I appear to get the same error, it won't do any movement in RA.

I did an update of kstars and my indiserver/drivers not that long ago, maybe a month ago, so I'm wondering if this could be something in the latest software. My kstars stable build is from 2021-07-08.
2 years 6 months ago #75200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Guide calibration fails

Can you check your balance, especially on the RA axis?
For whatever reason the pulses can't turn around the RA axis.
You can try larger calibration pulses, but there's likely an underlying problem to solve.

A common issue with using the simulator to calibrate, (something I have done successfully several times),
is that you cannot calibrate nor guide while pointing at the pole.
Please make sure you haven't done that.

Hy

2 years 6 months ago #75201

I usually have it pretty balanced, with just an indication of wanting to fall in one direction. But I could certainly try again with balance as good as I can get it and with longer pulses as well. 

I'll give the simulator another try in another direction, you're right I was pointing at the pole. This is not what I was doing with the mount though, I've done several attempts in different areas of the sky.
2 years 6 months ago #75221

I made another attempt tonight, made sure it wasn't binding, I have a little bit of RA backlash but not a lot. I made sure it was well balanced and tried increasing the pulse duration but nothing really seems to help..

I'm not sure I understand what's happening. Is the RA motor trying to drive in reverse but not able to due to resistance? But wouldn't I hear the motor skipping/stalling if that's the case? I don't feel like backlash is a possible cause here. I did some testing with the hand controller before going out and when setting rate to 2 I can change direction more or less instantly. And it worked before when the backlash was a lot worse.

I was planning to see if I can run PHD2 standalone or some other software to see if I have any similar issue.
2 years 6 months ago #75307

- What software version of KStars are you using? 

- can you please send a picture of your calibration options? It is in the guider options. 

- I think it would be a great idea to try calibrating with PHD2. If that does work well, then perhaps you could send a KStars log (with guide debugging turned on) of the calibration failure.
2 years 6 months ago #75308

I tried uninstalling kstars and everything tonight and installing the nightly version just to see if there was any difference and there certainly was. Now I can't speak to if this was just from "reinstalling" kstars or if there was something in the nightly version that worked better for me but I got through the calibration no problem even though there was a light layer of clouds. So I'm once again confident that the mount is in good condition.

I was previously running 2.5.4 I believe with a build from the 8th of July. I'll reinstall the stable version and see if I still have any issues and post logs.
2 years 6 months ago #75392

Alright, had another go with 3.5.4 stable. I was only able to reproduce it once and got a screenshot of it with my calibration settings. It was the first calibration and any attempt after that seemed to work correctly.
I'll attach a log from when I was running the 3.5.5 beta and then the 3.5.4 stable used after that.

The conditions haven't been excellent here I should say, quite cloudy and on a somewhat unstable floor on my balcony.

Alright, had another go with 3.5.4 stable. I was only able to reproduce it once and got a screenshot of it with my calibration settings. It was the first calibration and any attempt after that seemed to work correctly.
I'll attach a log from when I was running the 3.5.5 beta and then the 3.5.4 stable used after that.

The conditions haven't been excellent here I should say, quite cloudy and on a somewhat unstable floor on my balcony.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-36-59.txt
File Size:897 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: log_22-04-57.txt
File Size:2,922 KB
2 years 6 months ago #75395
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 86
My HEQ5 does this often right after a meridian flip.
-- RA forward calibration goes in a wrong (opposite) direction,
-- RA reverse calibration then continues to go in the same direction.
-- after the above bad calibration is stopped and restarted - everything goes well.

HTH
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon
2 years 6 months ago #75400

Max,

In calibration the scheme first pushes the RA motor West for several iterations, then back East. It then pushed DEC South, then back North. It always does this "dance" the same way.  After a meridian flip the camera has been "rotated upside down" relative to its positioning before the meridian flip. Therefore, you'd should always find that the RA motion for calibration post-flip, as seen on the camera image, to be opposite to that before the flip. 

Of course, this doesn't explain the RA not being able to reverse direction. I am currently attributing that to some unexplained mechanical issue.
If you are suspicious that this indeed a software issue, please compare performance with PHD2
(e.g. if it never happens with PHD2 and regularly happens with Ekos, then we should investigate further).

Hy
2 years 6 months ago #75401

Hy,
Yes. RA calibration forward is supposed to go in the opposite direction after the flip (since the camera is upside down).
But for me it often goes the same direction as before the flip.
Then RA reverse keeps going in the same direction.
I reported this before.
It doesn't happen always but often.

Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
2 years 6 months ago #75403

• Thank you received: 133
Just from curiosity: Is there a specific reason why you don't keep/re-use the calibration? At least during one night's session that should work.
(I'm using my guide calibration for months. My mount is fixed on a pier, though, and the OTA setup is also fixed, I just schlepp it out and put it on the mount. But as I said, as long as your mount has goto and supports pier side reporting one calibration per night should be enough...)
2 years 6 months ago #75412

I need to give it a try. I did try a while ago and it didn't work well for some reason.
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
2 years 6 months ago #75414

Time to create page: 1.068 seconds