INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar Alignment with Ekos

The KStars log file?
8 years 2 weeks ago #7482

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Sorry. Here it is. However, it now includes more stuff.... not copied immediately, as the other one.

Magnus
8 years 2 weeks ago #7493
Attachments:

Thanks! I made a correction to the polar alignment stuff so hopefully it will give more accurate results but in no way it will equal PHD2 result but it will be closer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magnus Larsson
8 years 2 weeks ago #7495

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Great! I'll do the same with the altitude as soon as I can.

It would be interesting (I think) to know which measure is most accurate. And if the remaining difference between Ekos and PHD2 is systematic, or if we are talking about random error. If it is random error - would that be less if the scope moved more than 30 minutes for second picture? And does error correlate with distance from meridian and equator, that is, how careful should I be in choosing a star to aling on, with Ekos? I do need a star to be able to adjust, riight?

It's really great to be able to use the Ekos module rather than PHD2, since it is faster and feels more elegant..:)

Magnus
8 years 2 weeks ago #7498

Yes you'd want to use a relatively bright star if you can if you intend to do "corrections" in Ekos. What I did previously is that I aligned the finder scope with the CCD, so a star centered in the CCD is centered on the scope. So when Ekos makes the corrections, it would be easier to look in the finder scope and bring back the star to the center. If it is close to the center, you can use the Focus module "framing" to make sure the star as close as possible to the CCD center.
8 years 2 weeks ago #7499

• Thank you received: 1
This is exactly the same problem I saw after I updated a month or two back. I originally had issues with the centering method (Aug 2015?), and despite upgrading afterwards to bleeding I ended up just using the calculate azimuth error to adjust the mount by hand. I had a very good idea how many turns on the adjustment knob was required and could get to better than 5" error after 2 repeats.

Post recent update, I found the calculated azimuth error was the opposite direction, I.e. If the mount was too far East it reported as West. Realising this and correcting for it resulted in a successful alignment. The wrong direction would result in the doubling of the error each time as reported in this thread.

I haven't had the chance to produce the detailed logs for this. I went to our club site on the Friday with the intent on collecting logs for this and another issue and it clouded over by the time I got the scope out!

I'm located in the Southern Hemisphere and had initially though it might be a southern only issue but clearly not.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by Andrew Nilsson.
8 years 1 week ago #7719

Recent update, when?
8 years 1 week ago #7722

• Thank you received: 1
KStars-bleeding Version: 5:15.12+r5636.250~ubuntu15.04.1

I believe I installed this the 6th of March. I notice there's an update, I'll grab that before heading out next.

I also reported a separate issue which looks like it is a Southern Hemisphere issue with the parking in eq_mod.
8 years 6 days ago #7736

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds