INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

About to Install Kstars/Ekos on a NUC with dual boot Win/Linux. Any advice from those who have done this?

• Thank you received: 20
Hi guys, I have just realised that the dummy HDMI is not needed. In bios of my NUC there is an option to emulate connected HDMI monitor. I have Intel NUC 7i5DNKE
Check this link: www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/...33413/intel-nuc.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steeve Body
2 years 3 months ago #78885

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
If you have all the indi drivers already, you may not need windows a lot and the dual boot option is just fine.

Perhaps the following is interesting for you.

I have an ASUS PN50 with Linux (Ubuntu 20.04.xx LTS) single boot without display, but with Windows 10 in a virtualbox VM. Devices are connected through a powered USB3 hub on the telescope (Moravian C4, C1, Teleskop control), 10Micron Mount via TCP/IP. I can connect to Linux with ssh/nomachine and to Windows with RDP.

Of course, you could do it the other way around as well. Which one works better for you depends on your preferences.

Dual boot has the advantage, that both systems will perform well - but you have to attach a monitor and keyboard when you want to boot in the non-default system.

Installing Kstars/Ekos/Indi in Ubuntu is working quite well. You may have to set up additional repos, but it will install without conflicts.

This setup works fine, although the Windows VM does not perform well (virtualization is not fast enough for USB3). Nevertheless, it is good as a fallback and for testing. I was hoping to use ASCOM on the virtual windows machine and use those windows only devices through Alpaca in indi on the linux side, but this doesn't work, because Alpaca does only provide one way access (accessing indi devices from windows but not the other way).

Currently, I am only missing a driver for the telescope control system (focuser, heating, etc.). So I started writing an indi driver and I got it working within half a day. I will submit a PR once it is polished and properly documented.
2 years 3 months ago #78887

• Thank you received: 69
Hi,
Reguarding copy/paste from ubuntu 20.04.3 on the NUC via NoMachine to your Mac.  My experience is with a Unbuntu 20.04.3 on an Odroid to the Mac via NoMachine.  I find I have to include the finder as intermediate step when copying from the NoMachine window to an OS App. e.g. copy in NoMachine on the remote machine, click on the Finder in the task bar, then click in the task bar to my target OS X app. It seems (this might be superstition) that the Finder does the acquistion of the copy buffer from NoMachine more reliably than directly to another app.
2 years 3 months ago #78889

• Thank you received: 57
I have run Kstars/Ekos under ubuntu for years on a NUC-like mini PC, but mine's got an AMD CPU. Works great. I set it up dual boot with Win 10 as well, but I've never actually booted into Windows except when I was setting it up. Before this box I used several others.

Different motherboards have different options that control auto-power on (or not) and the use of a dummy HDMI plug (or not). YMMV. Some require a tiny hardware jumper to enable auto-power-on, and can't be done in BIOS. In my opinion this is 100% worth doing, even if you have to fiddle around to get it working.

To me the biggest advantage of using a mini-PC over the Pi is for lunar and planetary video capture. The Pi hardware is fine for DSO imaging in Ekos, but can't support high frame rate video encoding. I like imaging the moon in FireCapture. If I was just doing DSOs, I'd stick with a Pi.
2 years 2 months ago #78899

• Thank you received: 1
Hi all

Just an update to let you know that I have been using my NUC in dual boot no problem. Indeed you actually don't need am HDMI monitor emulator dongle... thanks for the tip @hades 

I'm running both Nina on Windows 10 and Kstars on Unbuntu 20.04.3 no problem.

I found that for remote control NoMachine works great on linux but not so great on Windows (a lot more lag for some reason). However I'm running Jump Desktop on Windows and it is just amazingly fast with no lag at all with 2k resolution... but you have to pay for it. I'm controlling all of it from my Mac desktop inside the house or my phone using the Jump Desktop App or the No machine App. I have installed Connectify on the NUC when on remote site to create a permanent wifi hotspot easily on boot and it all works great and most importantly it is all very reliable!

2 years 2 months ago #79222

• Thank you received: 0
Having whet my appetite for Ekos/Kstars on a RPi4/Stellarmate, I'd like to get to know more about the INDI way of doing things.
I've been using NINA, Sharpcap etc on a MeLE Quieter2Q with a 128GB eMM drive using Win11. The drive has 83GB of free space. If I partition the drive in half, is this going to be enough to install Ubuntu/Ekos/Kstars/INDI server and run it stably?
1 year 11 months ago #82435

• Thank you received: 107
Yes 64GB will be plenty of space. Clean install of Ubuntu takes around 9GB of space so Kstars/INDI and other stuff will puff that up to 10GB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trevor
1 year 11 months ago #82438

Hi all,

I have just purchased a mini pc running Ubuntu only. I want to use it with my Astrophotography setup. So far for setting it up I understand I will need to install Kstars/Ekos and a way to Remote Desktop into it, and maybe something like PHD. Is there any instruction on how to setup a permanent hotspot for when I am out of my normal WiFi range?
Is there anything else besides the above that I will need to think about when setting things up?
1 year 10 months ago #82733

Hi, there is a nice script made by Robert Lancaster: github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3/blob/master/setupUbuntuSBC.sh
You can run it as it is or study its content, and run only those commands you are interested in.
1 year 10 months ago #82737

1 year 10 months ago #82739

From what I understand, this script is specifically written for a raspberry Pi. Will this work for a minipc running Ubuntu as well?
1 year 10 months ago #82741

Yes, but it is better to modify it somehow. Fortunately it is very well commented.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter
1 year 10 months ago #82745

Time to create page: 0.968 seconds