INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can onboard mount PEC be use with the Ekos guider and/or PHD2

• Thank you received: 5
Thanks again.

So, also discussing this elsewhere, if I have this correctly, I have to turn the PEC Playback OFF in the mount settings in Ekos, and activate the GPG RA Guider, enter my 600 second worm period in the Major Period box and deactivate the Estimate Period checkbox, correct? 

2 years 5 months ago #76927
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
In case you are sure about the worm period, yes.
2 years 5 months ago #76931

Well I'm just going by the listed spec for a 600 second worm period, should I let it try to see if it's something else? I guess I would have to let it roll for the estimated 600 seconds, and then some in that case, right?
2 years 5 months ago #76933

• Thank you received: 1
Stick with what the specs from iOptron say. 600 seconds is correct.

And yes, your steps above are correct.  Good luck!  And some advice, do not obsess over the Total RMS in arcsec numbers compared to what other people see.  It depends on so many different factors.  If your mount is tracking to within a fraction of a pixel, you will never notice it.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by MountainAir.
2 years 5 months ago #76934

Thanks again.

Yeah well, if you took a look at my plot above, you can see why I'm trying to understand the parameters and how to apply them as best I can. I simply don't know what to think about that data. Someone on another site mentioned their GEM28 (very similar to myCEM26) was vastly improved with the latest firmware update. I also just updated the firmware on my CEM26, but have yet to get a clear night to test it out. In the meantime I'm trying to sort out understanding these parameters, as that plot was created using the default Ekos guider settings.
2 years 5 months ago #76935

As a follow-up on this, I took the mount to a more secluded site and, other than a firmware update, I decided to guide as I had before. I had a much better time of it, as you can see below, despite the guider tracking through some cloud cover. How much can that affect the guide tracking? This is obviously better than the +15 arc second spikes I was getting earlier! I also did try guiding with GPG RA Guider activated, although I'm not sure if what, if any, affect that had. I believe this screen grab below was when it was running. I was so distracted by cloud cover that I'm not sure if I let it run past a worm cycle, dunno sure that's important because I entered the mount's 600 second cycle in the GPG RA Guider setting and disabled the Estimate Period box. 

So do you think the cloud cover was affecting the guider tracking? It seemed to barrel through it regardless, and I wasn't sure about what may have been causing the spikes. I haven't yet let it run without correcting.

On a different note, is there any way to change the graph colors? I'm viewing on a dimmed screen, and it's almost impossible to figure out what's DEC and what's RA. If I could swap the DEC and SNR colors, that would be great.
Thanks.

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Phil.
2 years 4 months ago #77229
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 559
Phil, Believe it or not, yes! Jasem did provide a way to change those colors.  If you go to the main KStars settings menu, and find the colors tab, you can modify the colors for a number of things, including RA and DEC guide error.

BTW, another easy way to figure out which is which is to uncheck and then re-check the RA or DEC checkboxes below the plot and see which one disappears.
2 years 4 months ago #77241
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds