INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Using the focus module for manual and auto focus

• Thank you received: 5
Hi folks, my question is two-fold.

First, I'd like to use the Ekos focus module to manually focus with a Bahtinov mask. Now I found some old threads from 3-4 years back that seem to allude to being able to do this, but they're not clear on some things. Also, I was watching one of the old Stallarmate videos on the focus module, and looking at what is there now things have been shifted around since the video. I see for instance that Bahtinov has been added to detection, but I'm not sure how this is used, or if I even need it when using a Bahtinov mask. Activating it doesn't appear to do anything. I also see autostretch under effect, but it doesn't seem to do anything, but there's a toggle stretch button in the transparent buttons that seems to work and is on by default, is this the same process? Right now I'm just testing this looking at a starfield in Stellarium, so I haven't used this module in the wild, so dunno if using the starfield on the computer screen is confusing the processes, or just me.   Basically I want to be sure I can effectively see a star clearly enough while a Bahtinov mask is on the scope, but things don't appear to be responding as I think they should. I see a live view button, but that window doesn't appear to have an autostretch option, so I don't think I'd be able to use it for focusing with a Bahtinov mask. The INDI docs I found on the focus module only cover using it with a motorized focusing unit, are there any docs on how to use this module manually? I'm a bit at a loss as to how to do so, inasmuch as it does appear to be possible.

Now with auto focus, can this module control a DSLR autofocus lens? I have a friend I'm helping to set up with an Astroberry setup, and he'll be using AF camera lenses as opposed to my manual focus telescope. Can his AF lenses be effectively used for continuous AF while shooting, or is he better off just manually focusing? If so I take it the process is as described for using the motorized telescope focusers, correct?

Thanks for any info on this.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Phil.
2 years 4 months ago #77859

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
I would also appreciate more information on this.

Bump!

Thx
1 year 9 months ago #83490

• Thank you received: 50
I suppose that you have looked at this thread?: www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/4547-new-baht....html?start=36#52222
Myself I followed a short PDF from Astrorunner who wrote the software which talks more about using the tool manually rather than assuming you have a motorised focuser.....
1 year 9 months ago #83494

• Thank you received: 15
Concerning your Canon AF lens question, there exists a product called Canon lens controller which connects via USB and can be used with Indi (see device drivers). But here you connect a different cam (not a Canon body) to the lens.

CS, Bernd
1 year 9 months ago #83512

• Thank you received: 5
I've not been able to figure out how to use the Ekos focus module manually. I was able to get AstroDMX to recognize my Nikon, I may try it to see if I can focus with the Bahtinov mask using live view in AstroDMX, my only option now is to temporarily disconnect the camera from the Pi and use the camera's rear screen live view to focus, which is a bit of a pain.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Phil.
1 year 9 months ago #83523

• Thank you received: 2
"Myself I followed a short PDF from Astrorunner who wrote the software..."

Do you have a link for that, or any other similar documentation?
I appreciate the link above though, which was quite helpful, thanks.
1 year 9 months ago #83526

• Thank you received: 50
I have searched back and I found the text in the other thread a few pages through indilib.org/forum/ekos/4547-new-bahtinov....html?start=48#71143
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill
1 year 9 months ago #83528

Time to create page: 0.640 seconds