INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Optical Trains

• Thank you received: 3
Hello,
I'm playing with optical train (kstars 3.6.1 on a Raspberry pi with ubuntu 22.04 arm64) and I've a problem.
I've two train, one is my main "imager" train with the filter wheel, focuser and main camera, the other is my "guide" train with just the guide cam and scope to guide.
When I first connect ekos, all the ekos modules where the imager train is selected have the select filter box empties. To populate it, I need te set my guide train active, and then come back to the imager train. I've to do it separatly for each modules (capture, focus, align)

Anthony.
1 year 5 months ago #87302

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Ekos Optical Trains

I can confirm this issue on some setups. Looking into it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anthony Hinsinger
1 year 5 months ago #87309

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ron Clanton on topic Ekos Optical Trains

I'm probably missing something, but is there any way to edit the optical train prior to connecting devices?

Maybe I'm doing this wrong, but on my Celeste 8" I have the optical train set with the native FL and ASI camera. If I add a reducer, is that a new optical train? ... or do I just edit the current Primary?

Ron
1 year 5 months ago #87330

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic Ekos Optical Trains

If you only ever want that train to have the reducer, then just edit it to include it. If you want 2 separate trains, with/without the reducer, I think 2 separate trains would be the correct approach.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Jerry Black.
1 year 5 months ago #87333

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by MORELLI on topic Ekos Optical Trains

Hello,

AS Ron, I would be able to edit the OT before Ekos connection. In this way you build a library of OT then you call the right one into the modules of Ekos.
1 year 5 months ago #87383

Not sure it's really possible to set the trains before connecting to indi, because it's not possible to know the real devices behind an indi driver, and that's the case with multiple device drivers. For example the ZWO drivers can detects multiple zwo cameras, but it's impossible to know before starting/connecting the driver.

Anthony.
1 year 5 months ago #87387

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Ekos Optical Trains

Correct, you must connect first before configuring the trains. This isn't going to change.
1 year 5 months ago #87388

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Ekos Optical Trains

Do the optical trains store the details like Camera name, Frame size? As the driver maybe common (eg. ZWO Camera).
1 year 5 months ago #87394

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Robert Miller on topic Ekos Optical Trains

I may be having a similar problem. With the latest version of kstars-bleeding, I enter my "optical train" data including a 0.7 focal reducer. In the Alignment Module, the telescope focal length and plate solver camera parameters (which is my secondary) are correctly shown for a telescope without a reducer. The reducer value of 0.7 is also shown.

I've attempted some plate solving recently with the FR and I always get the "Not Enough Stars in the Picture" and "check FOV data" even when there are lots of stars in the frame. This function worked fine before I added the FR.
1 year 4 months ago #87620

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by MORELLI on topic Ekos Optical Trains

Not sure it's really possible to set the trains before connecting to indi, because it's not possible to know the real devices behind an indi driver, and that's the case with multiple device drivers. For example the ZWO drivers can detects multiple zwo cameras, but it's impossible to know before starting/connecting the driver.

But when you create à profile, you can do without starting Ekos. So what is the difference ?
1 year 4 months ago #87624

• Thank you received: 72

Replied by Toni Schriber on topic Ekos Optical Trains

@Robert: It could be the following bug I found while trying to work with "optical trains"!?
Seems like the calculations of the focal length are done the wrong way around, resulting in a excessive magnification, which the solver cannot handle:

FL = 2839mm/0.7 = 4050mm (wrong!) instead of FL = 2839mm*0.7= 1988mm (correct!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hans, R Dan Nafe
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Toni Schriber.
1 year 4 months ago #87637
Attachments:

In the profile, you only specifiy drivers, not devices, this is a big difference : as I said before, if you setup your profile with the indi_asi_ccd driver, it cannot know it will detect an asi2600mm and an asi120mm before you really start the profile, so the opticaltrain UI cannot have it in its comboboxes.

Anthony
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Anthony Hinsinger.
1 year 4 months ago #87638

Time to create page: 1.245 seconds