INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Polar Alignment problem

• Thank you received: 0
yea that's what I do with my compas! the last time I even went behind my house (where ncp is visible)  to get a "very good polar alignment" with the mount polar finder with the hope coming back home I had only to adjust az (assuming that latitude was ok due to the polar finder alignment), but I wasn't able to take more than 30sec image... and after I captured more than 4 fantastic minutes single shot on orion in the hills I can't accept only 30 sec! now I'm pretentious! 
I must resolve this problem! I can't believe I'm not able to resolve it! I must shot well from my balcony! xD
every step I take to arrive at this point was a problem to solve, every single step, from the detection of the mount and the dslr to the plate solver of the capture and solve... and I can't give up now on PA x(
maybe I shoud try different software for PA but I'm sorry because I like ekos
thanks a lot for your attention AstroMuni!
2 years 3 months ago #78493

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
I used to be limited to 30s images before i added guider quite recently. I used to take 10 images of 30s and then force alignment via scheduler to correct for drift.
Join the SGL forum stargazerslounge.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: matia belvederi
2 years 3 months ago #78495

but do you mean that if I add a guider I could be able to follow stars and shot more than 30sec even without a good polar alignment?? 
and sorry again but what do you mean with "force alignment via scheduler to correct for drift"..? 
ok I'm going to join sgl, do you suggest me to submit this my existencial problem on this forum?
2 years 3 months ago #78496

There is no shortcut to compensate for poor polar alignment as the mount needs to work harder to correct every slew both in RA & DEC. Whereas with good PA RA movement will be good.
I create a sequence in Capture tab which has 10 subs and save it.
In Scheduler there are tick boxes for Align, Focus, Guide and Track. I tick Track and align and load the sequence I previously saved. I set the Repeat for to say 10 which gives 100 subs. So what the scheduler does is before starting each sequence (10 subs) it does an align. So in simple terms...
- Align & Track, capture 10, Align & track, capture 10,.............
So in the course of 10 images if your object has drifted from centre its brought to centre again before starting next set of 10.
SGL has a lot of folk from UK & Europe so it never hurts to ask there.
2 years 3 months ago #78497

wonderfull I'll try!
but first off all I'm going to install virtual windows (I'm trying to uso ekos on my mac) to verify that the problem persist or if ekos works well on windows.. I hope so!
ok AstroMuni I don't want to let you loose more time, I think now this is a challenge that I can win only with my own! 
thank you
2 years 3 months ago #78498

Ekos needs Linux to run INDI server :-(
2 years 3 months ago #78499

so can't I use it on windows? 
2 years 3 months ago #78500

can I use it on my mac with windows virtualized and the mount connected to a raspberry with astroberry? this was my first setup but it doesn't work so I decided to remove some hardware to understand what was the problem,,,, but I understand nothing at the moment 
2 years 3 months ago #78501

The Mac OS is linux under the covers, hence indi runs on it. Yes, you could certainly run on Windows and connect to RPi running the INDI server. I run Ekos on a linux machine but the INDI server is running on RPi.
Many folk just run everything off the RPi incl Ekos and just remote into it.
More details of my journey are here stargazerslounge.com/topic/375208-imaging-with-a-celestron-130/
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by AstroMuni.
2 years 3 months ago #78502

ok so I'll try to do the same thing but with different setup, with raspberry and with windows on my mac
let's try and see if the problem is the same... but somthing makes me think there are other different problems around the corner 
let's try!
thank you AstroMuni, I'll inform you about my success or about the selling of my equipment! 
2 years 3 months ago #78503

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Ekos Polar Alignment problem

I had a bit of an issue one night with the polar alignment tool, and I found it was because the telescope information I entered was not saving or being applied correctly until I filled in a name for the configuration.
This information is entered on the Mount tab of EKOS. Enter the correct telescope focal lengths, Fill in the configuration name, and hit the Save Telescope Info button.
That will fill in the relevant details within the INDI driver itself. You should then save the INDI mount driver configuration from the INDI control window.
So try that. Save telescope configuration with a name and then run the Polar Align Assistant.
2 years 2 months ago #78969

It is really best practice to select the scope information in the equipment profile itself, and try to avoid to use the Mount tab to set them. That was there before we introduced the scopes in the equipment profile, so it might get removed at any time.
2 years 2 months ago #78976

Time to create page: 1.286 seconds