INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars on Mac - Missing or incorrect planet data

• Thank you received: 4
Good afternoon!
Just installed KStars 3.5.6 on the Mac in order to use this client with EKOS for my setup with an INDI server at a Raspberry Pi 4.
All is working well, but no planet is visible in the KStars app. In EKOS, trying to slew to a planet, like Jupiter, the mount is sent to the anti-zenit. All planets seems actually to be in the constellation "Columba".

I searched this forum and other sites, but no results.
I installed KStars 3.5.6 stable from URL  edu.kde.org/kstars/

I seems that the planet data files are missing. I switched on the solar system objects.
Has somebody an idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks a lot for any help!
Greetings and all the best from Andorra
2 years 3 months ago #78778

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just to add one element: The Moon is visible and slewing in EKOS works correctly.
Cheers,
Alexander
2 years 3 months ago #78800

Another observation: This problem is really Mac specific.
I installed Kstars at a Raspberry Pi with PRI OS "bullseye" and planets are visible. All is working well, despite the toolbar icons which are missing.
This problem can be fixed by installing the KDE "breeze" theme as follows:

sudo apt-get install breeze-icon-theme

Source: www.tanstaafl.co.uk/2019/08/missing-icons-in-kstars-and-ekos/

Any help for the Mac is welcome!!

All the best,
Alexander
2 years 3 months ago #78803

• Thank you received: 811
Just one thought, maybe your data directory got messed up somehow.  You can try an experiment to see if that is the case.  Just rename the data directory ~/Library/Application Support/kstars to something else like backup.  Then start kstars and it will regenerate the data directory.  See if the planets show up then.  You can always go back to the original data directory by deleting the new one and renaming the other one back to kstars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexander Beening
2 years 3 months ago #78825

Hi Rob

Thank you for the help.
I tried your proposal. Unfortunately, the situation is the same: No planets and Sun, only the Moon is present. If you ask to go to the Sun, Kstars says that the object is currently under the horizon. I checked the configured location and it is set to my location here in Andorra.

I start to believe that this build of Kstars for the Mac is not complete. Later today I'll try to look for a previous version or will try to copy the files from my Raspberry Pi (if these are compatible).

I keep you and the forum informed,.

Merry Christmas!
Alexander
2 years 3 months ago #78838

• Thank you received: 811
Hi Alexander,

I just tried the same experiment I told you to do, because of course on my Mac it was working perfectly and I didn't see any issue, so I tried a fresh data directory and you are correct the planets vanished.  Then I took a look and it looks like some planet files got put in a subdirectory of the data directory when they aren't supposed to be in there.  Can you try another quick experiment?  In the data directory, there is a folder called vsop87.  That folder seems to contain all the planet "vsop" files.  Can you copy those files into the parent folder, the kstars directory?  Then try it again.  The planet should work if you do that.  Then if that works, I will look into the build issue that caused this to happen.

Please understand that in open source software, everybody contributes.  Sometimes mistakes happen and then we quickly fix them. I wouldn't say it is "not complete",  but I also would never say that it is complete.  It is always a work in progress.  I built this DMG a few weeks ago, but nobody found this bug till now.  Probably it is because most of the people who tried the new dmg as testers already had Data directories that were correct from previous versions of kstars.  I know that is why I didn't notice.  But also anybody new would only notice it if they were looking for planets.  I didn't know to test for this problem because I don't know that anybody has touched the planet files in a while so I wouldn't know why it put them in a subfolder, but somebody might have changed something I don't know.  I will check into it and fix it asap.

Thanks,

Rob
2 years 3 months ago #78850

Good morning, Rob

You made my day!

Your proposal is working! Thanks a lot for your help and time!. Now I can use my new setup with a Raspberry Pi 4 as INDI server and my Mac as client with my new CGX-L mount.
I am the first to understand the problems which could occur in team-development. I was 43 years in this business and retired last year as CIO for an Andorran governmental institute.

Please let me know when you have released the fix, I will be helpful to test it. That's the minimum I could do :-)

I hope our thread will help other people, using this great application Kstars!

Happy new year 2022 and all the best,
Alexander

Have a nice day and 
2 years 3 months ago #78853

Just to add one observation: After copying the vsop87 data to the parent folder and deleting the (now empty) folder itself, the folder is recreated with content at the next execution of Kstars. This is not a problem for me, but just tp complete my report.

Cheers,
Alexander
2 years 3 months ago #78854

Time to create page: 0.705 seconds