INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

kstars segfault crashing repeatedly

• Thank you received: 14
Hi there. I have been using EKOS/indi for 2 years now and mostly it goes fine. I had several successful all night sessions since the New Year. But tonight kstars just disappears
from screen.

In dmesg I see:

[  877.684329] kstars[6351]: segfault at 7f2a52fda000 ip 000056122d2a61d6 sp 00007f2a8bff2038 error 4 in kstars[56122c87c000+a2b000

I had this about 6 times already tonight. Maybe I have a faulty memory module or some other hardware fault, but it is something that  was not happening
previously.

Tonight I did a Polar Align which worked fine, but then the clouds rolled in. I was waiting with the guide camera looping 2s exp to keep an eye on cloud cover, but
kstars just keeps crashing. Same hardware and setup for last 3 months so nothing changed.
I am using server/client mode: Server RPI4 running ubuntu 20.4. Client running Linux Mint 20.2/Mate desktop (same code base as Ubuntu 20.4).
Kstars 3.5.6 (latest stable as of writing).
CCDs : QHY294MPro cooled. Guide cam: QHY1785IIIM. Mount HEQ5, EQmod indi driver.
Anyone have any ideas ? 

2 years 2 months ago #79538

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 107
Try run it from gdb.
Run it terminal "gdb kstars"
Then press r and enter. Then wait until it segfault and write "bt" in terminal and post here that backtrace that it print out.
2 years 2 months ago #79569

• Thank you received: 14
I'll try that next time it starts crashing. Unfortunately it can run for weeks without any issue. Last night it crashed 6 time but last time it crashed
was several months ago, and tonight no issue. This is not going to be easy. My suspicion is that it is (once again) some conflict between the Mate
desktop and kstars or possibly some issue to do with the exact thing I was doing (looping and viewing guide images over a slow network).
I will try running it using a different desktop, but as you see nothing may be concluded. I just posted in the off chance someone else had seen this
and I could compare what was happening.
I usually run via fast wired network but the local fox had had my network cable for supper so had to
use a slow wifi link. That's the only thing I did different to usual. Thanks for the tip I will keep this idea in mind for future.
2 years 2 months ago #79582

• Thank you received: 33
Hi Nick,
Maybe I misunderstood your problem but I experienced also crashes and I found a solution that I reported here (www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/11081-mac-kst...e-test.html?start=48):

Hi everybody,
I have experienced also intempestive crashes of KStars since a few months and I reported it.
The crashes occurred especially while running the simulators.
I think I finally found the culprit : kstarsrc
This file kstarsrc is located (on a Mac) at Library / Preferences / kstarsrc. It contains all the user preferences.
I deleted this file and I've got no crash since in the simulators profile or the real profiles.
I recommend not to delete immediately this file but saving it by changing its name.
When you will start KStars again, the Startup Wizard will open and will recreate a new kstarsrc file.

Maybe this might help you
2 years 1 month ago #80613

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds