INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Random Dithering

• Thank you received: 5
Using the lastest stable INDI/Kstars/EKOS, I noticed recently I have been suffering really bad non-randomness of the dithering.

Is there a setting to establish the random dithering for the internal Guider?

PHD2 uses spiral dithering which works for me but my preference is internal guiding.
2 years 2 months ago #79756

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Random Dithering

Do you have the new feature "One Pulse dither" turned on?
indilib.org/forum/general/11039-ditherin...n-the-beta-code.html
It should default to off.

If it is on, then please try again with it off and let me know if you think it is causing some issues for you.
As far as I know, this would be the only changes to the dithering logic recently.

One possible solution, either way, is playing with the number of dither pixels. E.g. with one-pulse, I wouldn't be surprised if it could use more pixels than before, since it isn't insisting on achieving the full dither amount.

Also, what do you see that makes you think your current dithering isn't random?

Hy
2 years 2 months ago #79762

Replied by Malcolm Whinfield on topic Random Dithering

Thanks for the info. Interesting you asked. I noticed this while I was imaging (7482) 1994 PC1. When I took the first lot I have placed the image below, interesting though it started off random, then when linear. I might have a look at other ones as well. Anyway, I can't test the setup due to extreme weather prohibiting session time. I will get onto it ASAP.

The image is a cut of a small portion of a load of hot pixels in a stacked image. 
2 years 2 months ago #79764
Attachments:

I just found out that I was running 3.56. I have upgraded to 3.57 and will test the configuration when the skies clear, possibly this coming Friday. So there was no One Pulse Dither enabled. I have a couple of initial issues with 3.57 that stopped working, hope to look at it later.
2 years 2 months ago #79849

Random dithering it back, strange condition but all OK. I just noticed the image I attached looks awkward. :) 

2 years 2 months ago #80011

Time to create page: 0.643 seconds