For the last couple of weeks, I have been working on upgrading my StellarSolver program to fix some longstanding issues, make it more efficient and faster, adding new features, and simplifying the code. Here is a nice list of the improvements:
Eliminating the last external files: solved and cancel files from the internal solver
Making an interface between the C++ and astrometry.net logging that works well to fix logging issues
Making StellarSolver easier to use in a blocking way, including using it as a C++ temporary object
Making the convolution filter easier to generate and use as well as adding more types of filters
Significantly reducing the astrometry code needed for the solver
Adding support for a new external solver: the Watney Astrometry Solver
Improving the abort code so that it shuts down faster
Adding a number of demos to show how to use StellarSolver
Adding healpix and index series hints so that you can speed up solves in localized areas based on former solves
Making it possible to run two stellar solvers simultaneously
Adding some new options for star extraction
Making API simplifications
Fixing some memory leaks and other warnings on various operating systems
Removing some unused code
I have been doing this work in a branch on GIT to avoid disrupting other people while I was still working on it. At the same time I was working on the changes in KStars to support it and put them in a merge request. So the hope is that releasing 2.0 at the same time as merging this merge request will cause the least disruption to users. I have been working on this for a few weeks now and it is now ready. It was tested by a couple of people and now it is ready to be merged and tested by a broader audience. Please put it through its paces. You can try the StellarSolver Tester program on Mac, Windows, or Linux located here: github.com/rlancaste/stellarsolver/releases/tag/2.0. and you can try it in KStars as well.
I think Jasem said he has updated the ppa to the newest version of StellarSolver, and yes it should definitely be 2 not 1 now. The KStars master in the ppa might not be updated yet though. I will ask him
Seems that the new stable version of KStars "kstars-bleeding - 6:3.5.7+202203030655~ubuntu20.04.1" didn't build correctly even if libstellarsolver2 did compile, so the problem seems to be at launchpad, Jasem have to take a look there.
Yes, this was the reason I was working in a branch for the last few weeks instead of StellarSolver Master, since I didn't want to keep repeatedly breaking the setup for anybody using the bleeding versions. If I made API changes often, there would be frequent issues. So the plan was that I worked on it in a branch and perfect everything first, so that all the API changes will happen at the same time, so hopefully once we resolve whatever issues we have right now with different servers building correctly, and then it will be good and stable. At least that is my hope, that it gets fixed quickly and then we will have the new version working well.