INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Announcing StellarSolver 2.0

• Thank you received: 809
It looks to me like the nightly version of the PPA built kstars-bleeding just fine. launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/...d.name_filter=kstars

I think the issue is just the stable version because the stable PPA is building the old version of KStars that doesn't have the kstars updates to use the new StellarSolver API that I added yesterday. 
2 years 3 weeks ago #81072

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorry about the multiple posts, I think there is a forum bug.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81073

I made a patch for Jasem that he can use to update 3.5.7 to use the new StellarSolver and I sent it to him.  Hopefully that helps with the PPA.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81076

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Paolo on topic Announcing StellarSolver 2.0

Could you please post this patch somewhere please?
I'd like to apply it to Kstars 3.5.7 in openSUSE too! Thanks :)
2 years 3 weeks ago #81080

• Thank you received: 1
Did some testing this morning using git master branch from both KStars and StellarSolver and experienced a few crashes to make note of.

Crash while running the internal solver:
Steps to reproduce:
  • Go to Ekos
  • Start simulators
  • Go to Align tab
  • Capture & Solve (using: BuiltIn method for solver, Internal Solver)
--> Segmentation fault

1 ??                                                                                                                                  0x7ffff1bcd7df
2 QObject::disconnectImpl(QObject const *, void * *, QObject const *, void * *, QMetaObject const *)                                  0x7ffff1bce10f
3 QObject::disconnect<void (AstrometryLogger:: *)(QString), void (ExtractorSolver:: *)(QString)>     qobject.h                   366  0x7ffff329f60f
4 InternalExtractorSolver::runInternalSolver                                                         internalextractorsolver.cpp 1123 0x7ffff3293f60
5 InternalExtractorSolver::run                                                                       internalextractorsolver.cpp 132  0x7ffff328ecde
6 ??                                                                                                                                  0x7ffff19d69d2
7 start_thread                                                                                       pthread_create.c            477  0x7ffff6b03609
8 clone                                                                                              clone.S                     95   0x7ffff12a1163

Crash when using external solver and stopping Indi:
Steps to reproduce:
  • Go to Ekos
  • Start simulators
  • Go to Align tab
  • Run a solve (using: using: BuiltIn method for solver, Local Watney), does not need to be a successful solve
  • Go back to Setup tab
  • Disconnect
  • Stop
--> SIGABRT
1   __GI_raise                                                                      raise.c                     50   0x7ffff11c503b
2   __GI_abort                                                                      abort.c                     79   0x7ffff11a4859
3   ??                                                                                                               0x7ffff157e911
4   ??                                                                                                               0x7ffff158a38c
5   ??                                                                                                               0x7ffff1589369
6   __gxx_personality_v0                                                                                             0x7ffff1589d21
7   ??                                                                                                               0x7ffff1384bef
8   _Unwind_Resume                                                                                                   0x7ffff13855aa
9   ExternalExtractorSolver::abort                                                  externalextractorsolver.cpp 342  0x7ffff32a77b0
10  StellarSolver::abort                                                            stellarsolver.cpp           567  0x7ffff32c5784
11  StellarSolver::~StellarSolver                                                   stellarsolver.cpp           47   0x7ffff32c1904
12  StellarSolver::~StellarSolver                                                   stellarsolver.cpp           48   0x7ffff32c1a46
13  std::default_delete<StellarSolver>::operator()                                  unique_ptr.h                81   0x555555bd2dad
14  std::unique_ptr<StellarSolver, std::default_delete<StellarSolver>>::~unique_ptr unique_ptr.h                292  0x555555bd260f
15  Ekos::Align::~Align                                                             align.cpp                   390  0x555555dcb2a9
16  Ekos::Align::~Align                                                             align.cpp                   402  0x555555dcb387
17  std::default_delete<Ekos::Align>::operator()                                    unique_ptr.h                81   0x555555b07869
18  std::unique_ptr<Ekos::Align, std::default_delete<Ekos::Align>>::reset           unique_ptr.h                402  0x555555aff31e
19  Ekos::Manager::removeTabs                                                       manager.cpp                 2670 0x555555af2e92
20  Ekos::Manager::reset                                                            manager.cpp                 516  0x555555ae2388
... <More>         

Also a bug I noticed:
  • KStars align.cpp, a few instances of: m_StellarSolver->setProperty("UsePostion", false); << typo, this should be UsePosition
Finally, some additional notes:
  • KStars: Tooltip for StellarSolver Options -> Solving Method does not mention Watney
  • StellarSolver: External & Online Programs -> Watney binary: default binary name has it watney-solver while the default published binary name is watney-solve.
  • StellarSolver: Default Watney Linux path should probably be set like with ASTAP, i.e. /opt/watney/watney-solve
    • There's no installer for it (at least currently), an I suppose it would make more sense to put it there than under /bin
  • StellarSolver: Default Watney Windows path I'd set similarly just to c:\watney because of the same reason (and writing under C:\Program Files is normally restricted)
Needs a bit of polish, but we'll get there :)

2 years 3 weeks ago #81088

Forum error, causing duplicates
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Jussi Saarivirta.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81091

• Thank you received: 41
As you have been recently working on Watney I've a request :). I'm currently using a fast Newtonian (f4). This kind of telescope is know for showing donut images almost every time. They only shows something like a star very near the focus position. The problem appears when we are trying to run the autofocus process. If you go too far from the perfect focus spot, instead of detecting the center of the unfocused start (the donut), every algorithm used until now, detects the brighter region of this ring... that give us a wrong HFR.

After reading the way you are using the extract the sources, could it be able to cope with this kind of images? I mean you talk about contiguous pixels over the background. Do you think it will be able to cope with this kind of images?

Thanks
2 years 3 weeks ago #81093

Thank you Jussi for the feedback, I believe the current plan is to release the next version of KStars in a week or two, so any information like this is very helpful.  Now that I think the API revision is done I can go back to focusing on any bugs like this.  I will look into what you mentioned

Paolo, I sent the patch to Jasem and I would like him to take a look and make sure it works ok.  If there is something else in KStars that needs to be changed that I missed such as something Jussi mentioned, I should probably add that to the patch before I post it.  So yes, but let't make sure the patch is good first.

Also, about the question about Reflectors and focusing.  I also would like to see this improved since I have reflectors not refractors and it is very important to me.  I was looking into it recently, but I have been working hard on getting StellarSolver 2.0 up and running.  But I did make some progress. I added some convolution filters and options for that to the new StellarSolver and it should be able to detect the out of focus star easily in the star extraction.  I found that the Mexican Hat algorithm seems to be better at that than a gaussian.  I was also experimenting with other shapes of convolution filters too.  The biggest thing though is increase the fwhm of the convolution filter and it easily detects the whole star no matter what the algorithm.  I would like to build that function into the KStars focusing algorithm in the future, but I have to finish the stellarsolver integrations first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafa Barberá
2 years 3 weeks ago #81094

@rbarberac
Hey, if you have some sample images I could look at, that would be nice - theoretically small rings could work out just fine. The Watney built-in algorithm fairly crude, but works

- Jussi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafa Barberá
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Jussi Saarivirta.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81095

• Thank you received: 57
ROB LANCASTER WROTE:
"I think the issue is just the stable version because the stable PPA is building the old version of KStars that doesn't have the kstars updates to use the new StellarSolver API that I added yesterday. "

Exactly. It's a mismatch in the ubuntu ppa between the "stable" Kstars and StellarSolver.

I was on stable Kstars ppa but my stellarsolver updated anyway and killed Kstars completely.

Once I updated to Kstars nightly ppa, I can run again.

But there's no point to having a "stable" Kstars that can't run!
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Scott Denning.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81096

• Thank you received: 41
Not at hand right now. Next clear night I'll generate some of them :)
2 years 3 weeks ago #81097

Jussi, Saarvirta, please check to see that this fixes what you were observing in terms of the typos, file paths, and tooltips:

invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/559/diffs
2 years 3 weeks ago #81103

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds