INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Announcing StellarSolver 2.0

• Thank you received: 809
For the last couple of weeks, I have been working on upgrading my StellarSolver program to fix some longstanding issues, make it more efficient and faster, adding new features, and simplifying the code.  Here is a nice list of the improvements:
  1. Eliminating the last external files: solved and cancel files from the internal solver
  2. Making an interface between the C++ and astrometry.net logging that works well to fix logging issues
  3. Making StellarSolver easier to use in a blocking way, including using it as a C++ temporary object
  4. Making the convolution filter easier to generate and use as well as adding more types of filters
  5. Significantly reducing the astrometry code needed for the solver
  6. Adding support for a new external solver: the Watney Astrometry Solver
  7. Improving the abort code so that it shuts down faster
  8. Adding a number of demos to show how to use StellarSolver
  9. Adding healpix and index series hints so that you can speed up solves in localized areas based on former solves
  10. Making it possible to run two stellar solvers simultaneously
  11. Adding some new options for star extraction
  12. Making API simplifications
  13. Fixing some memory leaks and other warnings on various operating systems
  14. Removing some unused code
I have been doing this work in a branch on GIT to avoid disrupting other people while I was still working on it.  At the same time I was working on the changes in KStars to support it and put them in a merge request.  So the hope is that releasing 2.0 at the same time as merging this merge request will cause the least disruption to users.  I have been working on this for a few weeks now and it is now ready.  It was tested by a couple of people and now it is ready to be merged and tested by a broader audience.  Please put it through its paces.  You can try the StellarSolver Tester program on Mac, Windows, or Linux located here: github.com/rlancaste/stellarsolver/releases/tag/2.0. and you can try it in KStars as well.

Let me know if there are any issues.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Alfred, Teseo, T-Studio, Jim, Rick Wayne, Scott Denning, Bart, Matteo Piscitelli, John and 2 other people also said thanks.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81035

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57
My ubuntu 20.04.3 just updated stellar solver (via apt update) and now Kstars won't start.

I get the following error:
kstars: error while loading shared libraries: libstellarsolver.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any suggestions would be very welcome!
2 years 3 weeks ago #81042

After apt update installed the new stellar solver my Kstars completely refuses to start (ubuntu 20.04.3 on x64).

kstars: error while loading shared libraries: libstellarsolver.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I noticed that your libstellarsolver.so.2 is just soft linked to libstellarsolver.so so I tried making a new soft link to libstellarsolver.so.1, but this didn't work.

I removed and purged Kstars-bleeding, autoremoved (including stellar solver) and re-installed Kstars-bleeding, but I still get the same error.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81043

After apt update installed the new stellar solver my Kstars completely refuses to start (ubuntu 20.04.3 on x64).

I noticed that your libstellarsolver.so.2 is just soft linked to libstellarsolver.so so I tried making a new soft link to libstellarsolver.so.1, but this didn't work.

I removed and purged Kstars-bleeding, autoremoved (including stellar solver) and re-installed Kstars-bleeding, but I still get the same error.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81044

I think Jasem said he has updated the ppa to the newest version of StellarSolver, and yes it should definitely be 2 not 1 now. The KStars master in the ppa might not be updated yet though. I will ask him
2 years 3 weeks ago #81046

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Paolo on topic Announcing StellarSolver 2.0

EDIT: unfortunately, I have to wait to push this update to openSUSE.
Backporting Kstars-git fixes for stellarsolver 2.0 to Kstars 3.5.7-stable is not an option (there were to many changes in between).
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Paolo.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81048

• Thank you received: 94
Ubuntu 20.04
latest git
ss builds fine and produces new 2.0 libraries.

steve@steve-desktop:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ ls -la libstellar*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 mar 3 14:19 libstellarsolver.so -> libstellarsolver.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 ene 17 11:29 libstellarsolver.so.1 -> libstellarsolver.so.1.8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1320624 ene 17 11:29 libstellarsolver.so.1.8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 mar 3 14:19 libstellarsolver.so.2 -> libstellarsolver.so.2.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5844344 mar 3 14:19 libstellarsolver.so.2.0

but:
o
[ 7%] Building CXX object kstars/CMakeFiles/KStarsLib.dir/indi/indidevice.cpp.o
In file included from /home/steve/Projects/build/kstars/kstars/KStarsLib_autogen/YBWGFWFLDP/moc_remoteastrometryparser.cpp:9,
from /home/steve/Projects/build/kstars/kstars/KStarsLib_autogen/mocs_compilation.cpp:45:
/home/steve/Projects/kstars/kstars/ekos/align/remoteastrometryparser.h:56:20: error: ‘Parity’ in namespace ‘FITSImage’ does not name a type
56 | FITSImage::Parity parity = FITSImage::BOTH;
| ^~~~~~
[ 7%] Building CXX object kstars/CMakeFiles/KStarsLib.dir/indi/indiproperty.cpp.o
[ 7%] Building CXX object kstars/CMakeFiles/KStarsLib.dir/indi/indistd.cpp.o
[ 7%] Building CXX object kstars/CMakeFiles/KStarsLib.dir/indi/indilistener.cpp.o
[ 7%] Building CXX object kstars/CMakeFiles/KStarsLib.dir/indi/inditelescope.cpp.o
make[3]: *** [kstars/CMakeFiles/KStarsLib.dir/build.make:845: kstars/CMakeFiles/KStarsLib.dir/KStarsLib_autogen/mocs_compilation.cpp.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1548: kstars/CMakeFiles/KStarsLib.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1526: kstars/CMakeFiles/kstars.dir/rule] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:500: kstars] Error 2

Any ideas?
TIA
2 years 3 weeks ago #81060

• Thank you received: 1
I did a simple 'sudo apt update' and generally speaking updated all packages, and KStars compiled fine with StellarSolver 2.0.

Working with Kubuntu 20.04.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81063

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Markku on topic Announcing StellarSolver 2.0

Hi there,

Seems that the new stable version of KStars "kstars-bleeding - 6:3.5.7+202203030655~ubuntu20.04.1" didn't build correctly even if libstellarsolver2 did compile, so the problem seems to be at launchpad, Jasem have to take a look there.

Br, Markku
2 years 3 weeks ago #81066

Yes, this was the reason I was working in a branch for the last few weeks instead of StellarSolver Master, since I didn't want to keep repeatedly breaking the setup for anybody using the bleeding versions.  If I made API changes often, there would be frequent issues.  So the plan was that I worked on it in a branch and perfect everything first, so that all the API changes will happen at the same time, so hopefully once we resolve whatever issues we have right now with different servers building correctly, and then it will be good and stable.  At least that is my hope, that it gets fixed quickly and then we will have the new version working well.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81069

It looks to me like the nightly version of the PPA built kstars-bleeding just fine. launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/...d.name_filter=kstars

I think the issue is just the stable version because the stable PPA is building the old version of KStars that doesn't have the kstars updates to use the new StellarSolver API that I added yesterday.

2 years 3 weeks ago #81070

It looks to me like the nightly version of the PPA built kstars-bleeding just fine. launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/...d.name_filter=kstars

I think the issue is just the stable version because the stable PPA is building the old version of KStars that doesn't have the kstars updates to use the new StellarSolver API that I added yesterday.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81071

Time to create page: 1.200 seconds