INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Announcing StellarSolver 2.0

• Thank you received: 41
No need to perform any change. Ekos is performing a quick debayer operation and sending the RGB image to Stellarsolve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
1 year 10 months ago #82960

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
No I just mean for now that I need to make sure there are no issues with the changes I made in the branch before I push to the main branch. For now, I'm not going to add the ability in KStars to select which channel to use, we will just keep the default that I made where it will now use green if there are RGB channels and just use the buffer if there is just one channel. I think we can add the feature to select which channel is preferred later. This should give us enough time that people will update to the new version before I add the changes to KStars, then we won't break people's builds
1 year 10 months ago #82961

Ok I pushed the changes to master in stellarsolver. Please check and see if there are any more issues.
1 year 10 months ago #82964

• Thank you received: 133
So I've compiled the latest stellarsolver (2.2-44_g9d4efa4) and kstars on my Pi4, which I use to control my ASI183MC attached to an old Canon FD 135mm lens. Everything worked very smooth, with a clear AF curve, but when I look at the result, the stars in the red channel look much better than in the green channel, which actually is the worst of all three (IMO).
Not sure though if that has to do with the 'quality' of the lens :(
I'll try an AF run tonight with storing the images (hope I find them...), maybe that tells me more.
1 year 10 months ago #82996
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Haase on topic Announcing StellarSolver 2.0

I have exact the same problem on two computers after normal system update at MINT and Linux light
Please forget about my comment i got into the wrong problem
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Haase. Reason: wrong
1 year 10 months ago #83013

So I think there are two questions to try to see what's up, first, is it really using the latest stellarsolver with the changes? And second, is stellarsolver getting a debayered RGB image, or is it getting the original image buffer. Do you have any of the KStars limited resources features turned on?
1 year 10 months ago #83014

In case that goes at my address: Yes, it's the latest stellarsolver (and kstars) for sure. I build RPM packages and install them, so no chance it's grabbing a wrong version somewhere. For the other question I don't know the answer, I had relied on the post by Rafa that EKOS would debayer and send the RGB cube. But I have no way to confirm that.
Also, no limited resources active, AFAICT.

Storing focus images for separate analysis failed - I checked the option in the settings, but there's no files saved anywhere :(
1 year 10 months ago #83020

Right, my goal is to try to identify where in the chain of events an issue might occur that would end up having the Red channel be the one used since now it should use the green channel if it is RGB.

Now I am thinking it would be really useful for stellarsolver to put in the log something like "Using the Green Channel" or "Exporting the Red Channel". I will have to add that, but it won't help now. It would have helped us verify that it is the latest version and that it is really trying to use the green channel.

When you said you build RPM Packages and install them, does that mean you are building from the latest master on Github or from a latest release? I did make a release with the new capability, but it hadn't been released when you first posted. Also note that the changes were in a branch until just recently so the latest master didn't have them either. Maybe it would be good to try again to be sure you have the code in there. But then again, maybe I should add those messages before you do so you can be sure it really is running that code.
1 year 10 months ago #83022

I'm building from github master. I had switched to the colorChannels branch for a while, but the last one was master agai, after you had announced you integrated it there (commit 9d4efa44a01)
And StellarSolverTester (built together with the rest) does show the channel selector.

I'l keep experimenting, but maybe I should put the OSC on a better optics. I'm still not convinced it's not the lens that is producing part of the issue, as the star images do have weird halo/wings that might irritate the routines.
1 year 10 months ago #83023

Gotcha, ok, yes, please keep experimenting.
1 year 10 months ago #83025

Hmm, found something: Settings->FITS->3D Cube. Tooltip says 'if unchecked, only first channel is processed'. And it's unchecked here.... :-P
Unfortunately, I'll not be at the telescope tonight, but I'll try ASAP.
1 year 10 months ago #83034

• Thank you received: 41
After a long pause for weather and mount problems, yesterday I was able to test Ekos 3.5.9 with its "green by default" handling on Stellarsolve routines. I can confirm that it works as good as expected on my OSC images. Now the three channels has a comparable amount of focus and I'm able to keep seeing faint stars on the B channel (now I've to fix the guiding problem with the HEQ5... but, hey, one problem after the other ;))

Thank you very much Rob!

1 year 9 months ago #83431
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.033 seconds