INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Image width and height changing in Ekos

• Thank you received: 12
Hi

I’ve got astroberry set up to control my Sony A7rii via ekos/indi and I’ve noticed that the width and height settings in the imaging tab of ekos keep getting set to something close but not quite what I’ve got set in the indi sony ccd driver. This leads to problems with stacking and produces images which appear like a couple of columns of pixels are smeared.

Previously I thought it was user error as I had recently set things up to be in aps-c mode (5168x3448 pixels) but last night I had to keep resetting it as the incorrect values kept appearing. The driver settings stayed correct over multiple restarts)

Anyone run into this and know where ekos is getting the values? Is it possible the Sony docs are wrong and I’m setting the wrong value - I will try taking a normal photo manually and see what photoshop says shortly?

Regards

Nigel
1 year 11 months ago #82575

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
This is a quirk of DLSR's. On my Canon T3i, the RAWs have a slightly different size than a FITS. Pick one and stick to it.
1 year 11 months ago #82592

Hi Andrew

how does the resolution vary? My camera generates a raw of a specific resolution the indi driver then converts it to a fits file. Other than possibly the driver being set to only take a subframe extracted from the raw when generating the fits they should surely have the same resolution?

However in my case that’s not the problem I’m experiencing as the fits file matches what I set, what’s going wrong is the capture module keeps changing the values set there so they don’t match what’s set in the driver. Not sure which takes priority but previously I’ve had problems due to a variation in size between sets of images when going to stack them so want things to remain constant not change unexpectedly.

On a side note I’ve looked at some images taken using my camera prior to trying astrophotography and see the resolution matches what I’m setting at least in the exif data. However Windows properties seems to say something different which is weird.
On a further side note (yeah I keep finding odd things) I noticed one set of images I took were full frame size which means that something somehow overrode the actual camera settings but only for one set in a number I was taking. Very weird. Looks to me like there’s some problems with the settings changing somewhere….

Regards

Nigel
1 year 11 months ago #82601

• Thank you received: 226
I don't really have a great answer for you. But I took a closer look at the behaviour I see with my camera.
My RAW images are supposed to be 5184x3456.
When set to FITS, the viewer tells me the correct dimension.
When set to Native, The viewer tells me 5202x3465. However the RAW files actually are 5184x3456 in Photoshop.
If I open an external image that was captured with just the camera normally, It comes up with 5202x3465 in the FITS Viewer.

Curiously, DeepSkyStacker also shows my raw image files are 5202x3465. But a FITS image is still 5184x3456 DSS. Because of this I can not use dark frames captured in RAW format with FITS lights.
It probably has something to do with debayering.

I think your settings probably kept resetting because you have a sequence in the queue made with those values and they are being written back to the driver when the sequence runs. That will change the frame size in FITS mode, but not in Native.
1 year 11 months ago #82611

Interesting. The values I see for my raw images in the programs I’ve tried are actually from the embedded exif data so I suppose it’s possible that there’s some variation compared to the actual pixels. I’m not entirely sure where MS Windows is getting its value from so I will have to have a dig around to see if anything actually counts the pixels rather assuming the exif is right.

In my case I’m hitting the problem before a file is actually produced. The indi driver has my “correct” settings and retains them however the capture module seems to keep coming up with a different set of values. As I change them to match the “correct” values the image appears to be captured with the correct values and everything including DSS is happy. Most times everything has been ok with no need to change things but every now and then it seems to start doing this. Looks like I need to have a look at the code to see where it’s getting the values from.
1 year 11 months ago #82619

Ok looks like this was user error. In the indi driver there are two tabs one with framing/image settings and one with image information. Seems I had somehow got the incorrect figures in the latter tab (not sure how and thought I had checked but they were there just now so must be me..). These figures seem to be used in the capture tab even though the settings there are sort of doing what is in the other tab in the indi driver.
I suppose indi and ekos are really two separate systems with some features implemented in both places and you just have to be aware.
1 year 10 months ago #82700

I spoke too soon. The resolution has changed again. This has occurred in both tabs in the indi sony dslr driver and in the capture tab of ekos. In the indi tabs the values appear in both the current value and the to be set to columns.

Anybody got any ideas where the values are coming from as they look like the values I saw earlier but between then and now I’ve been quite happily using the values I set from my cameras manual?
1 year 10 months ago #82848

• Thank you received: 5
The only issue I am having is the difference between RAW (CR2) and FITS images having different sizes. I decided to stick with FITS
1 year 10 months ago #82861

Time to create page: 0.984 seconds