INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars/Ekos running out of processor oomph

• Thank you received: 5
Hi there. I'm running KStars/Ekos [bleeding] as a client on Xubuntu (15.10) on a Dell D830 Latitude laptop but, after about 10 minutes of operation, KStars/Ekos stops responding. I can make windows come into focus but no buttons work and the star display will not move.

The laptop has Intel Core 2 Duo T7100/1.8 GHz processors and 4 Gbytes RAM. The RAM is never more than half used but both processors are maxed out. I am running the correct NVIDIA drivers for the graphics card. Top shows that kstars is using > 90 % CPU, Xorg next at about 15%.

My question is: should this machine spec be sufficient? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Rob
7 years 11 months ago #7671

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 32
For Kstars alone it shouldn't, Kstars just uses a lot of resources for some reason and my virtual machine is coping, yet struggling sometimes. But a light versions is in the works I once read.
7 years 11 months ago #7672

Hmm, yes, I see that mentioned here:

www.indilib.org/forum/general/987-kstars...ilt-for-android.html

I still seems a bit odd for it to actually freeze though, and it doesn't recover unless I shut down KStars and restart it. Possibly the lack of an expected response or a threading problem? I'll see if I can narrow down a cause.

Rob
7 years 11 months ago #7683

I have verified that, normally, when I start KStars as a client then the process kstars consumes ~15% CPU when just sitting loaded-but-idle. It is very responsive; I can scroll around the sky, zoom in and out, and kstar's CPU usage settles down to the same value each time. Run Ekos and do Indi stuff (e.g. select and track something) and the CPU usage goes up by ~10% and falls back when I close Ekos down.

But sometimes, and it happens when I've not touched Ekos, kstars' CPU usage can jump to 75% and higher; I've also seen that closing and re-opening KStars has no beneficial effect. At that point it is quite unresponsive and navigation is difficult, So I think this is likely to be a KStars thing, some background process that it performs on a timed basis that is quite CPU hungry. And, at least according to top, it is kstars not kde stuff that is hogging.

Rob
7 years 11 months ago #7687

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds